Singapore Expats

Buy from outside of Singapore, deliver by Vpost

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
nakatago

Buy from outside of Singapore, deliver by Vpost

Post by nakatago » Sun, 25 Oct 2009 12:02 am

I'm eyeing certain portable electronics from Amazon that if I bought them, would deliver here via Vpost. I already know Amazon won't ship them (I tried). Also, the local distributor's prices are so jacked up that even if Amazon allowed shipping to spore and charged me significantly for it, it would still be much cheaper--by more than a hundred dollars. I'm also willing to give up the warranty because I'll be buying from Amazon.

I did my research already about other people going this same route to buy portable electronics. I also already weighed the pros and cons and I'm really seriously considering this route. The problem for me now is, using vpost poses so many variables into the mix that it may be the reason for me NOT to go through with it.

It seems that the experience ranges from "they're ok," to "so hard to deal with. also very slow" and to finally, "they charged me so much AND they lost my packages--I cast a hex on these people"

If anyone tried this before, I'd like to hear about your experience.
Last edited by nakatago on Mon, 05 Sep 2011 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200

Re: Buy from Amazon, deliver by Vpost

Post by x9200 » Sun, 25 Oct 2009 8:01 am

nakatago wrote:It seems that the experience ranges from "they're ok," to "so hard to deal with. also very slow" and to finally, "they charged me so much AND they lost my packages--I cast a hex on these people"

If anyone tried this before, I'd like to hear about your experience.
I have tried them a few times and will never try it again if there are other, even more expensive option. They have not lost nor damage any of my packages but overall service quality roughly corresponds to the speed-post (being a part of the whole enterprise) service quality. If you are happy with the later, you should be able to get along with the whole package.
PM me if interested in more details.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 25 Oct 2009 8:57 am

I have yet to see very many satisfied people with any service and there seem to be far more dissatisfied people, including for VPost. And they cost out the wazoo.

Have you thought about looking for your electronics elsewhere? Like Hong Kong, Australia, or Europe?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sun, 25 Oct 2009 10:40 am

Strong Eagle wrote:Have you thought about looking for your electronics elsewhere? Like Hong Kong, Australia, or Europe?
It didn't occur to me to do that. :oops: Could you recommend good sites that can deliver to Singapore? I'm gonna check out Amazon Europe...

So I guess, it's conclusively no-go for Vpost.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 25 Oct 2009 10:44 am

Type in Hong Kong plus the name of the product. For some things like an iPhone you might need a friend with an HK address to pick it up and mail it.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sun, 25 Oct 2009 11:12 am

Strong Eagle wrote:Type in Hong Kong plus the name of the product. For some things like an iPhone you might need a friend with an HK address to pick it up and mail it.
I did actually, but I'm really not sure I can be confident enough with the results. Anyway, I'll try just cross-referencing with other search queries.

Thanks for the advice.

JaanJ
Regular
Regular

:)

Post by JaanJ » Sun, 25 Oct 2009 1:05 pm

Thanks for starting this thread :) I defintely need to know more as I have reservations about using vPost and all.

JaanJ

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sun, 25 Oct 2009 1:52 pm

I just did some more research.

What I wanted costed 370 USD, Amazon US (530 SGD).
I looked at Amazon France, it costed 399 Euro (834 SGD).
The thing costs 670 SGD locally. Hong Kong and Australia were fruitless.

I was like, "WTF?!?"

Maybe if I keep saying it, I'll finally accept that 670 SGD is ok.

BTW, the vpost option is only for things Amazon US won't ship internationally. I looked at Amazon's shipping rates to Singapore and they looked reasonable. If they'll ship, that is.

With vpost, they'll go by either volume or weight, whichever is higher. Amazon has been known to ship stuff in oversized boxes. I remember about some guy ordering 17 hand towels. All came in separate boxes, all with bubblewrap. Just imagine the volume those 17 boxes took. So, like what many people said, shipping by Vpost can cost you your first born child. Oh and don't forget the GST if your stuff is > 400 SGD.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 25 Oct 2009 2:08 pm

nakatago wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:Type in Hong Kong plus the name of the product. For some things like an iPhone you might need a friend with an HK address to pick it up and mail it.
I did actually, but I'm really not sure I can be confident enough with the results. Anyway, I'll try just cross-referencing with other search queries.

Thanks for the advice.
Ebay is also worth to consider. You've got there lots of Hong Kong based stores offering brand new goods and If you pay using paypal most of the time your purchase is fully insured. Apart from this you can have a better insight to the seller's record than for many semi-anonymous companies with their on-line stores.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 25 Oct 2009 2:32 pm

nakatago wrote:I just did some more research.

What I wanted costed 370 USD, Amazon US (530 SGD).
I looked at Amazon France, it costed 399 Euro (834 SGD).
The thing costs 670 SGD locally. Hong Kong and Australia were fruitless.

I was like, "WTF?!?"

Maybe if I keep saying it, I'll finally accept that 670 SGD is ok.
It is really ok. Just think what will happen if your stuff is for example DOA or gets broken a bit letter.
nakatago wrote: BTW, the vpost option is only for things Amazon US won't ship internationally. I looked at Amazon's shipping rates to Singapore and they looked reasonable. If they'll ship, that is.

With vpost, they'll go by either volume or weight, whichever is higher. Amazon has been known to ship stuff in oversized boxes. I remember about some guy ordering 17 hand towels. All came in separate boxes, all with bubblewrap. Just imagine the volume those 17 boxes took. So, like what many people said, shipping by Vpost can cost you your first born child. Oh and don't forget the GST if your stuff is > 400 SGD.
Amazon seems to have their own delivery arrangements for SG - I had a number of heavy books delivered to my doorsteps within one week or so and the courier was a nice lady with amazon logo on her shirt. Looked like some kind of agreement with UPS if I remember correctly.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 25 Oct 2009 2:33 pm

If you don't mind me asking, what is it you are trying to buy that won't ship internationally? Is it because of address or because a non-US credit card is being used? Is it the equipment manufacturer itself that prohibits shipments outside the US?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sun, 25 Oct 2009 2:48 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:If you don't mind me asking, what is it you are trying to buy that won't ship internationally? Is it because of address or because a non-US credit card is being used? Is it the equipment manufacturer itself that prohibits shipments outside the US?
I tried checking out the product and then Amazon won't let me.

Then, I did some digging around. I think Amazon generally doesn't ship electronics internationally. Also, since it's portable, it has lithium ion batteries. I think the US and something called EAR disallow it. But I saw online that some people were able to have their stuff (phones, media players, kindles, laptops) from Amazon delivered via Vpost so I considered that option (I don't know anyone in the States who could send stuff to me). Also, Vpost has on their website to email them for further instructions if one were to purchase portable electronics and mobile phones. I figured it is possible with little overhead cost--if the volume's right.

But I guess I'll just get it locally.

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Girl_Next_Door » Mon, 26 Oct 2009 1:09 pm

I have used Vpost several times and my personal experience is pretty good. Most of my shopping have been bags and clothes, so they are generally quite light and compact in size. For me, shipping via Vpost is a good option because the same bag in a Singapore boutique will cost between 30-50% more than Neiman Marcus or Bluefly.

However, having said that, I won't advise large items because a friend who tried shipping shoes got billed hundred of dollars due to the package size.

One of my friends bought an iRobot on Amazon and had it shipped in via Vpost. He seems quite happy with the outcome, packaging and the cost of shipping.

I am not 100% sure what you are looking for, but you can try duty free shop in the Airport when you are traveling?

BTW, if you are getting electronics from US Amazon, won't there be electricity conversion issues when you use them in Singapore?

Jeppo
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Jeppo » Mon, 26 Oct 2009 1:54 pm

I have a friend in Hong Kong who may be able to source it for you. If interested, let me know what you want, in this thread or by PM, and I'll see if they can find it.

mondaymorningquarterback
Regular
Regular

Post by mondaymorningquarterback » Mon, 26 Oct 2009 2:41 pm

I've been using vpost over 30 times the past few years and they are 30/30 so far. I prefer amazon to orchard rd. Very reliable. Just the other week I bought an electronic item from amazon but I blew it with my electrical outlet because of the voltage difference. Might want to check that first.