Singapore Expats

Altec, Pioneer or best Speaker Store in Singapore

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
xedlinux

Altec, Pioneer or best Speaker Store in Singapore

Post by xedlinux » Wed, 21 Oct 2009 2:12 am

Hi,

Could anyone tell me where is the cheapest and the best Store or Shop that sells ALTEC, PIONEER or any Speakers. thanks.

my email is [email protected]
Everything is possible with http://damolog.net

xedlinux

Post by xedlinux » Wed, 21 Oct 2009 10:11 pm

please post your suggestions here.

D_Mika
Regular
Regular

Post by D_Mika » Thu, 22 Oct 2009 7:34 pm

I personally prefer Bose .. a bit expensive but Worth the price ..
Warning: Spelling errors in this message are the product of a poor school system. Pay teachures more than athletes.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 22 Oct 2009 7:49 pm

D_Mika wrote:I personally prefer Bose .. a bit expensive but Worth the price ..
I dunno... I had Bose for many years... and when I listened to some alternates I realized that Bose really wasn't very good at a true reproduction of the audio spectrum.

D_Mika
Regular
Regular

Post by D_Mika » Thu, 22 Oct 2009 8:21 pm

Well I guess It depends I'm Using http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/sho ... /index.jsp
Which is perfect for movies, But well frankly cant comment on the Pro's and Con's as I'm not a expert on this field..
Warning: Spelling errors in this message are the product of a poor school system. Pay teachures more than athletes.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Thu, 22 Oct 2009 9:58 pm

The first step would be to have an hearing test to ensure that you have perfect hearing, not many of us do, over the age of 40!

I have lost my mid range sounds completely, and never even realised it, until people kept telling me my phone was ringing. It was only when I had a full hearing test in UK in 1996 that i now realise that speakers don't matter that much.
Unless i invest in a hearing aid that will improve my hearing loss.

I have both bose 301, which tend to be a little deep on and heavy,

and I have a pair of Mission speakers that won the hifi awards a decade ago which lack the solidness of bose, though they are made for different listeners that's for sure

I do love music, so the loss of hearing is a bummer especially when its getting worse! But seriously a hearing test, may save you a great deal of investment, good speakers are not cheap

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Fri, 23 Oct 2009 9:42 am

D_Mika wrote:I personally prefer Bose .. a bit expensive but Worth the price ..
Wife loves the Bose 48 because they are easy to use just press a button and its all working, the music juke box system is very good at figuring out the tracks that suits your mood at the time.

But having installed a second AV NAD visio5 system with the kef egg speakers (still cheaper than the bose) it really bring to light the limitation of the Bose.

You notice you never have a bose demo room with other systems for comparison?

The other advantage of bose is they tend to keep its value on the second hand market the Japanese stuff after a few years you cant even give it away.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Fri, 23 Oct 2009 9:48 am

ksl wrote:
I do love music, so the loss of hearing is a bummer especially when its getting worse! But seriously a hearing test, may save you a great deal of investment, good speakers are not cheap
ha ha I know the feeling I have now lost all my hearing on my right side after surgery, so all this money spent on surround sound system seem a bit daft as I can only hear in mono.

I can still tell the difference between a good and crap system, though I am investing in a system called "buttkickers" to add another dimension to the sound to make up for the mono world I live in now.

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Fri, 23 Oct 2009 10:44 pm

The Adelphi (next to Funan) is Singapore's hi-fi center, so I'd go poke around there. Sim Lim's also not too bad, although you have to know your stuff if you go there.

That said, you can find decent speakers in the darnedest places: I've got a pair of PSB's (obscure long-bankrupt Canadian semi-hifi company) that I picked up for a song at a 2nd hand store out Jurong way, and they're just fine for my bass-heavy tastes.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

xedlinux

Post by xedlinux » Thu, 05 Nov 2009 4:50 am

thanks a lot for your information. ill check it out.

FastNEasy

Post by FastNEasy » Sat, 20 Mar 2010 5:40 am

Adelphi is the place to go. More professional people, but trust your own ear and bring your own Music CD. Do audition Focal JMLab (event their entry level chorus range is already impressive), I like more warm sound and respectable bass. You can audition at the 4 or 5 floor near the stairs (the same unit that sells Gamut, Rotel, Rega, Anthem amplifier). I do own a Focal JmLab profile 918 floor stander. Still the best by far the best that I owned for midrange (or budget price in audiophile term). Amplifier that I use is Exposure 3010 (hear it for yourself) I traded away my few months Musical Fidelity A3.2 for this exposure in 2 months. Still own the Exposure 3010 (the same leaque would be the Musical Fidelity A5.5 which is on the brink of obsolete now) and the Roksan Caspian.
My suggestion is to buy Amplifier first, then bring the amplfier around to audition a speaker that will match it. Because Amplifier is easy to carry around (but not a floor standing speaker).
enjoy!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Mon, 22 Mar 2010 11:19 pm

QRM wrote:
ksl wrote:
ha ha I know the feeling I have now lost all my hearing on my right side after surgery, so all this money spent on surround sound system seem a bit daft as I can only hear in mono.

I can still tell the difference between a good and crap system, though I am investing in a system called "buttkickers" to add another dimension to the sound to make up for the mono world I live in now.
A little late i know, but I have been considering the digital hearing aid, for the mid range sounds, a bit pricey, but apparently it will work. Is there no alternative for the hearing for you?

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Fri, 14 May 2010 1:12 pm

ksl wrote:
A little late i know, but I have been considering the digital hearing aid, for the mid range sounds, a bit pricey, but apparently it will work. Is there no alternative for the hearing for you?
Sorry KSL didnt see this message, there is a device called BAHA which would work in my situation but that means digging into my head again and walking around with a black box bolted to the outside on my bonce. I think I will give that a miss, I am fine with one sided hearing it comes in quite handy at times.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sat, 15 May 2010 1:18 am

QRM wrote:
ksl wrote:
Sorry KSL didnt see this message, there is a device called BAHA which would work in my situation but that means digging into my head again and walking around with a black box bolted to the outside on my bonce. I think I will give that a miss, I am fine with one sided hearing it comes in quite handy at times.
:lol: Know what you mean!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Mon, 02 Aug 2010 1:43 am

Picked up a brand new Pioneer VSX LX50 with 1year guarantee, just suits my needs, now looking for Mission Floor speakers, woofer and centre!