Singapore Expats

Marketing/PR Job Offer

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 16 Oct 2009 8:52 am

econoMIC wrote:However just like NS you will make many local friends very quickly. There is Ah Long, Ah Song and of course Ah Beng with his yellow handphone. Plus if you do decent work you can work your way up rather quickly and you don't even have to worry about getting the right visa or paying CPF. Also, Ah Beng has a lot of female friends and they should be quite easy to score with, so make sure to ask him for Ah Lien.

BA-DUMP-BUMP...

:D
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

lumi

Post by lumi » Fri, 16 Oct 2009 3:43 pm

Would you mind sharing how you came across the job whcih you have been offered? Did you find an advertisement on a job website or did you email the company directly to apply for any possible positions available?

I am currently in Singapore and am seeking an internship in Marketing and am wondering what the best way to find a job is. I thought I'd ask you as you obviously had success :) Thanks for any info offered.

WyattH

Post by WyattH » Sat, 17 Oct 2009 2:20 am

Sure! A friend in SG knows this company, since 1-2 of her friends have or interning there. They also "like" foreigners. So I just emailed them directly about any openings.

Give it a shot.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 17 Oct 2009 7:15 am

WyattH wrote:Sure! A friend in SG knows this company, since 1-2 of her friends have or interning there. They also "like" foreigners. So I just emailed them directly about any openings.

Give it a shot.
Proof, once again, that there is nothing like a network to get things done in Singapore.

lumi

Post by lumi » Sat, 17 Oct 2009 12:24 pm

Thanks, I have sent of an application :)

I have seen alot of internships advertised that sound great until I read the salary - 600 a month! Although they say that foreigners are welcome to apply there's no way I could live on that amount of money in Singapore.

I agree Strong Eagle, just like in most places you have a much better chance if you know someone who knows someone (not saying that this is why you were offered your position though WyattH). I don't know anyone so it's going to take me a bit longer but hopefully I'll find something before my savings run out!

WyattH

Post by WyattH » Sat, 17 Oct 2009 12:51 pm

It sounds like I wont take the position now, and will stay in Canada.
Email me your CV and some info about you - [email protected]
I would not mind referring you to "fill my spot" now, since I might take it in Summer 2011. But I trust you understand that I can't refer a complete stranger when I still hope to hold a name for myself.
Cheers

lumi

Post by lumi » Sat, 17 Oct 2009 1:41 pm

Thanks, I'll email you now. I completely understand what you're saying about referring a complete stranger so don't worry :)

Mike_Naylor

Post by Mike_Naylor » Fri, 23 Oct 2009 2:12 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
WyattH wrote:Sure! A friend in SG knows this company, since 1-2 of her friends have or interning there. They also "like" foreigners. So I just emailed them directly about any openings.

Give it a shot.
Proof, once again, that there is nothing like a network to get things done in Singapore.
I tried for months, using official channels. Applications, cvs. Got nowhere/ Reject reject reject.

5 e-mails, direct to a HR manager, in a company, and striking up a bit of conversation, and I was meeting the company Chairman, in London for interviews within 3 weeks.

Went from reject, to them letting me interview in London.

You are very right. All about networking, building up relationships, doing favours, negociating.

Seems the culture is all about negociation to me. They'll turn you down ruthlessly, if it's not person to person. If you can have a chat to them, and try and talk them round a bit, they are very open to giving you an oppurtunity

Mike_Naylor

Re: Marketing/PR Job Offer

Post by Mike_Naylor » Fri, 23 Oct 2009 2:17 am

WyattH wrote:Hello,
I have been offered an internship position in SG with a Marketing/PR firm. The job sounds great but I am concerned about the pay-
$1000SGD/month
This is lower than minimum wage here in the US and Canada. But I am wondering how far that can go with the cost of living in SG? Not looking to live like a king or even save much, but I don't want to struggle to make ends meet while I am there.
It's a full time position, but I am negotiating with the company to either increase the pay (unlikely), or reduce the hours so that I can also work part time at another job - maybe retail or as a waiter. What do these simple jobs typically pay?
I've read the stickied Kelly Guide and this seems low, but it is a short term (3-6mo) internship.
Thank you!

Marketing internship money = supply and demand. Very ruthless employment culture. They won't pay a penny more than what they think they need to, to fill the role.

The salary will be based on what they pay other people. And the knowledge that they can get people easily for it, if anyone declines.

I wouldn't play hardball too much. If that's the market, it's the market. The pay will be low, as it's probably a pretty popular degree, and there are probably a lot of people wanting to make the same move.

My advice, just take the oppurtunity. If it doesn't work out financially, it doesn't work out. Just go back.

VERY hard to get any work in Singapore. A lifetsyle many want at the minute. If they are handing you a shot at it, snap their arm off, and worry about money later.

My cousin went over on an internship on the same deal. Minimum wage. Once he'd settled there, he was moving companies every 6 months, being offered more and more money.

Take the medicine if you ask me. The financial rewards will come along later.

I should add, it is very very low. You will struggle to live a very exciting life on that sort of money. But hey, that's what it takes that what it takes.

It is possible. My cousin only pays $400 a month rent, in a very very nice guesthouse. It's just a room, and a shared house with other people, but I enjoyed staying there when I was there last. Very comfortable.

If you can get your rent down to $400 a month, you could live happily on your budget.

Deetz

Post by Deetz » Sat, 24 Oct 2009 2:00 pm

Nothing against your cousin but it will probably not come off so great on his resume if he's job hopping every 6 months several times in a row.

In a lot of companies especially if someone is pretty green or fresh out of school they expect it might take them about 4 months to get used to everything and really start producing what they earn.

Also trying to find a room for $400 will be pretty tough. Either you will commute close to an hour each way if you have to work anywhere in the city, or you will need to share a room with one or more other people. Which can also be fine if you maybe know them somewhat.

madura
Chatter
Chatter

Post by madura » Sun, 27 Dec 2009 2:12 am

lumi wrote:I have seen alot of internships advertised that sound great until I read the salary - 600 a month!
that's because interns from the local unis are paid $600 and interns from the local polys are paid $400.

$1000 may seem barely enough for a living, but the truth is that that's pretty generous of the company. this industry is really cut-throat in singapore.

btw, there are many marketing/communications agencies at little india :)