Singapore Expats

Visitors and access to condos

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Edmundfo

Visitors and access to condos

Post by Edmundfo » Thu, 15 Oct 2009 12:25 pm

I and my wife (who is a local) recently moved into a condo apartment, which we rent on a one year lease.

According to the property agent we could let her father and sister use the access cards, so that it would be convenient for them to visit us. However, this was in a very rude way disputed by the management, who claimed that such an arrangement was unacceptable and unnecessary since there is intercom with the guardhouse.

I simply dont get this. Let's say you have guests from overseas who explore the city while you are at work. What are they supposed to be doing if they come back to the condo while none is at home? I find it very strange that my condo (or perhaps condos in general) does not have proper ways of dealing with this. Can anyone clarify how such things are supposed to work?

Also, I miss a proper list of what kind of funny regulations different condos have. I would like to know whether there are any reasonably priced condos out there with a friendlier management, or whether I should downgrade to HDB where you dont have to put up with this kind of weirdness.

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Thu, 15 Oct 2009 1:29 pm

In the condos we've lived in that require access passes - you purchase the number of swipe cards you need for your household. It's ranged anywhere from $50 - $100 per pass - and when you return the passes at the end of the lease the money is refunded. One condo did ask for copies of ID for everyone who would be using the passes and they were numbered so mgmt could track the usage - but not at our current place - we just bought 2 extra for guests and in case we lost one.