Singapore Expats

Can you help, please?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Suman_T

Can you help, please?

Post by Suman_T » Tue, 13 Oct 2009 9:59 pm

Hi All

I will be soon moving to Singapore. Reading through rest of posts, I am seriously mortified about cost of living here. I will not be working but my partner would be. Analysing the posts here, I am scared, how will we survive with two kids on a single income? And in current economic climate, we have no other option!

Employer would not be paying our rent so can you suggest me cheap apartments in west coast. Also, can you suggest me free or cheap playschools for my kids? I am coming from europe so here we have library, free social clubs, free kids clubs etc. Are there such facilities in Singapore? I am just totally confused. Are there any opportunites (for myself) to be able to work from home?

Sorry for asking so many questions. Hope you will help!

Regards

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Tue, 13 Oct 2009 10:10 pm

coz you can survive. you just got to budget it well.

aargon
Chatter
Chatter

Post by aargon » Tue, 13 Oct 2009 10:20 pm

I think the obvious next question is how much is your partner earning?
Last edited by aargon on Wed, 21 Oct 2009 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 13 Oct 2009 10:38 pm

To get a rough estimate of the cost of living here versus where you're from, you can use the Big Mac Index. Basically, you compare how much a Big Mac costs across several countries, compared to how much work one has to do to be able to buy one. In Singapore, it's 38 minutes, which is on the global average. Chicago and Tokyo are roughly 12 minutes. "Nearby" Jakarta, however, is 135 minutes.

Housing is expensive here but generally, things are just ok. But since you'll be living in the West Coast, housing would tend to be much cheaper there by a factor of one-half.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 13 Oct 2009 11:05 pm

We never came here on an expats package, but we managed very well, though rental is the biggest burden! Now its my beer only kidding!

Yes its expensive, you can probably find an HDB unit in the west for a reasonable price 3 bedroom unit for 1500 to 1800, you will be on dependant pass so can also look for work if you want.

But I do understand your concern, and can assure you, you can adjust.

When i moved from UK, to Denmark where income tax was a minimum 43% against 25% in UK in accordance with income, I never even considered if I could afford to live. My thought was if i get a job, i will be on local money, and if locals can live, so can i. The question is what standard of living.... If you cut out all the unhealthy crap foods that were so cheap for example in UK, and so bloody expensive in Denmark, a radicle change appears on less money.

Anyway one lives longer on less calories in accordance to some research i was looking at, so don't overfeed the hubby and kids....and no luxuries, like ice cream, sweets, cakes, cigarettes and beer and you will be fine.

Don't worry, see it as a challenge and a new venture!
Last edited by ksl on Tue, 13 Oct 2009 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Suman_T

Post by Suman_T » Tue, 13 Oct 2009 11:12 pm

Thanks all for your positive replies.

KSL, I liked your idea of giving less food to Hubby :D

Regards