Singapore Expats

Calling all gardening gurus!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ozchick
Editor
Editor

Calling all gardening gurus!

Post by ozchick » Fri, 09 Oct 2009 9:58 am

1.The garden centres here tell me that I can't grow parsley cos it doesn't do well here. Back home we grow it all year round through all seasons. So I can only presume that it doesn't like humidity...anyone tried it?...
I grew some parsley from seeds a few months back and they were coming along well, about 2 inches high, and then while I was away they died at the hands of my replacement gardeners! So I'm not sure whether they would have died anyaway or not....

2. Can anyone suggest a plant that is ok inside in reasonably dark conditions? My living room is really quite dark and nothing seems happy growing there.
Thanks !
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

blue_thunder
Chatter
Chatter

Post by blue_thunder » Sat, 10 Oct 2009 11:24 am

Try the small bamboo shoots which is available all over the island...i have one in my bedroom ~ local belief is that it will bring you luck, mine brought only mozzies
else you can also use mustard / coriander seeds which will dense and greenyyyy..

Cheers~
~ I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Sat, 10 Oct 2009 6:05 pm

blue_thunder wrote:Try the small bamboo shoots which is available all over the island...i have one in my bedroom ~ local belief is that it will bring you luck, mine brought only mozzies
else you can also use mustard / coriander seeds which will dense and greenyyyy..

Cheers~
Well I/ve got bamboo shoots but they're really tall and they sit in wtaer but they don't like dark cos I've tried them. I know those little bamboo shoots- I've seen them in the supermarkets and everywhere, but I thought they were just baby 'tall ones' . Will check them out. Now mustard and coriander- as a decorative plant or as herbs though yeah, not as a house plant? Have you tried parsley? I would love to grow some parsley. Anyway I'm gonna try again cos I've got more seeds. Maybe I keep a fan on them!!! :wink: Thanks BT!

mrlily
Regular
Regular

Post by mrlily » Sat, 10 Oct 2009 6:19 pm

alternatively you could try a UV light, then you could grow what you want. within reason.
https://mechanical.co.nz - Development of a Secure Threaded Websocket Server in C.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 10 Oct 2009 7:10 pm

mrlily wrote:alternatively you could try a UV light, then you could grow what you want. within reason.
And I've seen a lot of walk-in closets converted into "greenhouses" in my time I guarantee you. :P

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

mrlily
Regular
Regular

Post by mrlily » Sat, 10 Oct 2009 7:22 pm

:)
https://mechanical.co.nz - Development of a Secure Threaded Websocket Server in C.

blue_thunder
Chatter
Chatter

Post by blue_thunder » Sat, 10 Oct 2009 7:32 pm

ozchick wrote:
blue_thunder wrote:Try the small bamboo shoots which is available all over the island...i have one in my bedroom ~ local belief is that it will bring you luck, mine brought only mozzies

Cheers~
Well I/ve got bamboo shoots but they're really tall and they sit in wtaer but they don't like dark cos I've tried them. I know those little bamboo shoots- I've seen them in the supermarkets and everywhere, but I thought they were just baby 'tall ones' . Will check them out. Now mustard and coriander- as a decorative plant or as herbs though yeah, not as a house plant? Have you tried parsley? I would love to grow some parsley. Anyway I'm gonna try again cos I've got more seeds. Maybe I keep a fan on them!!! :wink: Thanks BT!
Mustard & coriander will be decorative as well as herbs!! it will so greenish during the budding period and will be so dense ..will be very much refreshing for the eyes.
~ I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Sat, 10 Oct 2009 8:18 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
mrlily wrote:alternatively you could try a UV light, then you could grow what you want. within reason.
And I've seen a lot of walk-in closets converted into "greenhouses" in my time I guarantee you. :P

Farm boy!! :o

mrlily
Regular
Regular

Post by mrlily » Sat, 10 Oct 2009 8:29 pm

convict girl :wink:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 10 Oct 2009 10:06 pm

Mrlily, I've been referring to myself as a good ole farm boy here for many years. Hence my 'tar. I grew up on a farm and still have one in the US (that I just returned from about 10 days ago). :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

blue_thunder
Chatter
Chatter

Post by blue_thunder » Sat, 10 Oct 2009 10:56 pm

wish i had one!!!

mrlily
Regular
Regular

Post by mrlily » Sun, 11 Oct 2009 12:35 pm

rrrr thanks for the info man... do you have crocodiles on your farm?

"convict girl"; ozchick = auzzie = convict, therefore "greenhouses"... u get the idea right?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 11 Oct 2009 1:40 pm

mrlily wrote:rrrr thanks for the info man... do you have crocodiles on your farm?

"convict girl"; ozchick = auzzie = convict, therefore "greenhouses"... u get the idea right?

Never thought about the Aus / Convict connection considering how multilingual ozchick is! :oops: my bad.

As far as crocs on my farm, there's only a 'buaya putih' there when I'm home. :lol: The US only has Crocs in Zoos. Gators are our indigenous species.

blue_thunder
Chatter
Chatter

Post by blue_thunder » Sun, 11 Oct 2009 3:08 pm

mrlily wrote:rrrr thanks for the info man... do you have crocodiles on your farm?

Never thought about the Aus / Convict connection considering how multilingual ozchick is! :oops: my bad.

As far as crocs on my farm, there's only a 'buaya putih' there when I'm home. :lol: The US only has Crocs in Zoos. Gators are our indigenous species.
NO gators , okay.

Do you have the ones in the picture you posted , in your farm ?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 11 Oct 2009 3:42 pm

Moi? :o