Singapore Expats

BBQ`s in Singapore

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
aargon
Chatter
Chatter

BBQ`s in Singapore

Post by aargon » Sat, 10 Oct 2009 8:16 am

Is Singapore a BBQ culture? do most people like a good old fashion BBQ at the beach or park? Is it easy to get good size pieces of steak, lamb, pork and other goodies that makes a BBQ special?

In Japan, the BBQ culture is a joke. No one BBQs, and when they do, it includes stir fry noodles and only small strips of meat. Dont get me wrong, I am appreciative of Japanese style BBQ`s but its just not the same as "throwing another swrimp on the Barbie" aussie style. :)

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Re: BBQ`s in Singapore

Post by road.not.taken » Sat, 10 Oct 2009 8:32 am

aargon wrote:Is Singapore a BBQ culture? do most people like a good old fashion BBQ at the beach or park? Is it easy to get good size pieces of steak, lamb, pork and other goodies that makes a BBQ special?

In Japan, the BBQ culture is a joke. No one BBQs, and when they do, it includes stir fry noodles and only small strips of meat. Dont get me wrong, I am appreciative of Japanese style BBQ`s but its just not the same as "throwing another swrimp on the Barbie" aussie style. :)
To answer your questions:

Yes

Yes

Yes, but they cost a bomb

BBQs (do a search on the Forum) are very expensive in Singapore. A baseline gas grill from Australia or the US will be twice the cost as it is in the US. Americans are spoiled and obese because meat is too cheap in America. Sorry, but it's true. Like in Japan, I think you'll find that the protein portion of a meal is very small in comparison to the US. There are Butchers where you can get steaks and pork loins, etc... but the cost makes it more of a 'treat'. Chicken is cheap and good in Singapore.

aargon
Chatter
Chatter

Post by aargon » Sat, 10 Oct 2009 8:38 am

Thanks for the insight Road.

Yeah, Americans love their food.... Japanese people love their food too. Its just they go for quality over quantity.