Singapore Expats

Teaching English as a way into SG - Texas Style

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
maxsutter

Teaching English as a way into SG - Texas Style

Post by maxsutter » Fri, 09 Oct 2009 11:57 am

I am actually a Market Data/ Business Analyst (11 years)- I have located several positions in SG however they have not wanted to hire an expat but rather a local. Great conversations with the hiring managers and recruiters. I am guessing the relocation expenses/visa ect. The plan is to get a job teaching English or business courses - perhaps learn a little mandarin and acquire a MDS position as I would then actually be in country.

I am 36, single with no dependents and well the state of things here in America are at this moment a sinking ship. I have realized this for quite some time but the actions of the government have cemented this now.

What do you think?

Anyone have a recommendation on teaching business/English courses??

Universities to hit up?

I call this going Jim Rogers.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Teaching English as a way into SG - Texas Style

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 09 Oct 2009 12:35 pm

maxsutter wrote:What do you think?
I think if the government hadn't taken the actions it did, you'd be in a lot deeper doo doo than you are now... but that's another story.

As far as your plan goes... my guess is it won't fly. There are already plenty of people in Singapore with the same qualifications as you to teach English, and to really get any kind of an English teaching job you need certification.

Employment passes are getting harder to come by and it is difficult to see how a company or university could justify hiring you with local people available who can do the job just as well.

econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter

Post by econoMIC » Fri, 09 Oct 2009 4:42 pm

I completely agree with SE.

One more point to consider is that MoE has toughened up guidelines on teachers in private educational institutions about a year ago and if you want to teach on diploma level, you need to have a BSc at least, to teach at undergrad level you need Masters... So your chances of teaching at a private school such as MDIS, SIM, SIC... just to name a few. So unless you have a masters you won't get far teaching business at a private school.
a.k.a. littlegreenman

maxsutter

Post by maxsutter » Sat, 10 Oct 2009 1:28 am

Thank you for you reply Strong Eagle - econoMIC

It is delaying the inevitable and making things worse when the collapse finally gets into full swing. I am not sure how spending more money cures a problem of overconsumption and too much spending. Only a Bureaucrat
could come up with such a solution – It is almost as bad as expanding the war effort and making the worlds largest military even bigger and receiving the peace prize for doing it. Nothing makes sense anymore over here.

I have seen those teaching degrees – it takes 120 hours to get one – I guess what I thought I had to offer was 11 years business experience on top of the English.

It appears many other people have the same idea.

aargon
Chatter
Chatter

Post by aargon » Sat, 10 Oct 2009 7:57 am

Max, I wouldnt take the comments of Strong Eagle and Economics (no offense) to heart. For all you know, they could be english teachers themselves trying to deter further competition :lol:

Personally i think there are too many cynics in this world. If you have goals, planned it out probably, and have no dependencies, then the world is your oyster.

Given you are single, have years of business experience under your belt, you should be able to find something if that is your goal.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 10 Oct 2009 9:22 am

aargon,

sadly, we are here to inject a semblance of reality. Pumping up somebody isn't gonna win us the Nobel prize like some people when they are BS'ing the world. We try to tell it like it is here as we don't want people to spend their hard earned cash on what could well be a fruitless, costly and morally degrading experience. We don't try to snuff out dreams but we do try to be honest. We would be remiss in our morals if we built up everybody only to have them sulk home defeated, tail between their legs, when they find out that the bed of roses has no real fragrance but only a aerosol spray scent and is really a brier patch without any beauty all. Right now Singapore is kinda like MS OS's, pretty slick on the presentation, but a minefield underneath.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

aargon
Chatter
Chatter

Post by aargon » Sat, 10 Oct 2009 9:46 am

another cynical poster.

enuff said :D

econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter

Post by econoMIC » Sat, 10 Oct 2009 5:49 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:..Pumping up somebody isn't gonna win us the Nobel prize...
One would think. But now things have changed. Yes we can! Anything goes and you get a Nobel prize for doing nothing. :-|
a.k.a. littlegreenman

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 10 Oct 2009 6:37 pm

:shit:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Mon, 12 Oct 2009 3:02 am

Problem solving!

calvink
Chatter
Chatter

Hi

Post by calvink » Tue, 13 Oct 2009 12:41 am

Besides Master, perhaps a TESOL certificate would help?

aargon
Chatter
Chatter

Post by aargon » Tue, 13 Oct 2009 3:43 pm

you'd be surprised the amount of people lacking basic common sense...

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 13 Oct 2009 4:27 pm

aargon wrote:you'd be surprised the amount of people lacking basic common sense...
No, not surprised at all. When I am in a particularly cynical mood, I am reminded of the old saw, "God must love stupid people. He made so many of them."

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 13 Oct 2009 4:51 pm

How come we don't have a *snigger* smilie! :P

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Thu, 15 Oct 2009 5:03 pm

jim rogers had the quantum fund.

why not head on over to korea? they have english cram schools.

as does taiwan, china, japan. etc...
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam