Singapore Expats

Giving part time help a set of keys?

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here

Do you give your part time help, a set of keys?

Poll ended at Sat, 07 Nov 2009 3:07 pm

No, I will never give another person my house keys!
38%
Yes, my help have a set of my keys and I am never around when she is over.
63%

Total votes: 8

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Giving part time help a set of keys?

Post by Girl_Next_Door » Thu, 08 Oct 2009 3:07 pm

I have recently got a part-time help, to come over to my apartment and clean the place (iron clothes, mop the floor, clean the toilet, the usual).

For the time being, I will leave my door unlocked on the day she comes over to clean (when I am out at work) but I am thinking of giving her a set of the keys. I am just wondering how many of you are doing the same, and how many of you give your part time help a set of keys (so that they can come over to clean while you are at work)?

Currently, my part time help is recommended by a friend who swear by her. But, she is not the smartest chip off the block... so I am wondering how everyone else is doing.

And yes, I know crime rate in Singapore are low, but remember, low crime doesnt mean no crime.

xtasy010
Regular
Regular

Post by xtasy010 » Thu, 08 Oct 2009 3:12 pm

Do you think you could PM me your part time's contact.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Thu, 08 Oct 2009 3:13 pm

What's the difference between leaving apartment unlocked your part time maid, and anyone else, can get in to your apartment or giving her a key? :?

xtasy010
Regular
Regular

Post by xtasy010 » Thu, 08 Oct 2009 3:32 pm

If she has a key she can get in anytime, while the door would be unlocked only the day she is to come over. :)

SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter

Post by SGBoyxxx » Thu, 08 Oct 2009 3:57 pm

errr I don;t have part time maid

but my neighbour do have a part time maid.

Happen to see her come in the afternoon

3 times per week.

But the owner grandmother will open the door for her to come in to do the housework.

so I can said my neighbour never give a set of keys to the part time helper.

econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter

Post by econoMIC » Thu, 08 Oct 2009 3:58 pm

Part time helper has a key = only she can get in along with anyone she lets in.

Door unlocked = everyone can get in and clear out your flat. Yes Singapore is safe, but not that safe I would say.
a.k.a. littlegreenman

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Thu, 08 Oct 2009 4:00 pm

xtasy010 wrote:If she has a key she can get in anytime, while the door would be unlocked only the day she is to come over. :)
If got key, one person can get in anytime, door unlocked, anyone can get in on one day. Don't get the logic

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Girl_Next_Door » Thu, 08 Oct 2009 4:36 pm

That's why I am in a dilemma. The comfort I can get is, there is a security guard at the place I am staying. So anyone who attempt to "clear" my apartment, I would like to believe that my security guard will do some questioning...

Wrt giving the maid a key, my concern is more along the line, if one day, I decided to terminate her service, she could easily replicate the key, and return to my apartment, etc. My place is rented, so I am not sure how far my rights goes, in terms of changing the locks of the apartment.

Any ideas?

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Thu, 08 Oct 2009 5:52 pm

We have a part timer coming in, our helper cant Iron well!! She was recomended by our friend, though she has been with us now for over a year we dont give her the key as there is little or no connection with her, dont even know where she lives, etc.

So best to be safe than sorry why not have one of those digital locks installed and just give her the combination number? Theres is cheaper way a small digital key safe that sits on the wall next to the door and it holds the key on a chain.

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Girl_Next_Door » Thu, 08 Oct 2009 6:05 pm

I must be quite lucky then, since my help can iron very well! Apparently, better than the dry cleaning!

The digital lock is a good idea but is it easily implemented? My door belong to the old door that work with just one key. Not sure there is a way to hook a digital key safe to it. Can I know where did you buy it?

econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter

Post by econoMIC » Thu, 08 Oct 2009 6:16 pm

Girl_Next_Door wrote:That's why I am in a dilemma. The comfort I can get is, there is a security guard at the place I am staying. So anyone who attempt to "clear" my apartment, I would like to believe that my security guard will do some questioning...
Wrong, wrong, so very wrong. The guards in the condos I stayed in didn't give a crap, they just read newspaper the whole day and didn't bother about anyone tailgating or strangers. I think even if they would notice they would just confront them in order to get a cut of the loot. Don't rely on them.

I still think it is better to give the helper a key, as you can get her IC number at least. If you just leave the door unlocked any Tom, Dick and Harry can clear your flat out and you don't know who it was at all.
a.k.a. littlegreenman

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Thu, 08 Oct 2009 6:38 pm

Girl_Next_Door wrote:I must be quite lucky then, since my help can iron very well! Apparently, better than the dry cleaning!

The digital lock is a good idea but is it easily implemented? My door belong to the old door that work with just one key. Not sure there is a way to hook a digital key safe to it. Can I know where did you buy it?
http://www.insight-direct.co.uk/DotNetS ... rodID=5243

I cant believe you leave your door open how green is that? In doing so all your insurance will be voided, if something goes missing you have no idea who is to blame ( well apart from you for leaving the door open ) you could unfairly accuse the part timer when it was some kids next door or the security Guards. If nothing is missing you may start to wonder why your underwear draw is always open when you come back :shock: We all know the tooth brush and camera story!!

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by hibri2 » Thu, 08 Oct 2009 10:56 pm

QRM wrote:
I cant believe you leave your door open how green is that?
:-|

i have never... ever... locked my house door or the terraze facing doors... the whole living without keys is as gratifying to me as living without a cell phone...
QRM wrote: In doing so all your insurance will be voided
i... n... s... u... r... a... n... c... e... ?...

what is that? i am not familiar with the term...

to the OP, as we dont use keys, the maid just comes does her thingies and leave, if i am not around then we put the monies in the same place as always.
"Do not pray in my school, and I will not think in your church." - Unknown.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Fri, 09 Oct 2009 5:49 am

If you trust her enough with all your stuff (you can't follow her around while she is cleaning, can you? or do a thorough inspection whenever she leaves?) then you should trust her with a key. Just get plenty of references before she starts. The idea is to make your life easier by having help, not harder.

dazzlebabe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by dazzlebabe » Fri, 09 Oct 2009 9:12 am

If I am to trust a stranger with the keys to my home, she should come from a reputable AGENCY! Word of mouth, sister's helper, helper's sister just won't do it for me.

We have given the cleaner the keys to our home, she comes in even when we are on vacation. She's so good that when I leave my valuables out on the dresser after a long night out, she packs it nicely in my drawer so it is not exposed. (digress - But she is soooo good, she rearranged our clothes drawers according to type and then colour. It's like living in a showroom-department-store-home)

We have a copy of her IC (helps when we want to give a little on her birthday or send a CNY hamper to her home) and there is a liability clause in the contract we signed with the agency.

So NO I won't give my key to a helper UNLESS she is from a reputable agency.
Just me

DazzleBabe