Singapore Expats

just curious for those expats living in Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Thu, 08 Oct 2009 3:09 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:ksl, please watch the ticker! Don't push it.
Yes I will, keeping my pulse to 105 beats so i should be fine, no pain and i asked the doc first, Thanks!

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Thu, 08 Oct 2009 6:52 pm

SGBoyxxx wrote:Election time , the gov is very concern with oversea singaporean .
They sure are, that's why they don't let them vote :tongue:
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 08 Oct 2009 9:24 pm

OVERSEAS VOTING http://www.anfrel.org/mission.asp?current_id=86

Overseas voting was introduced in April 2001, “to provide Singaporeans with strong links to Singapore to have their say through their votes.”
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

carteki
Editor
Editor

Re: just curious for those expats living in sg

Post by carteki » Fri, 09 Oct 2009 12:11 am

econoMIC wrote: Here is one for our regular users though: I had an idea. What if you are a dual national already, eg. in my case Canadian and German. I never told them I was Canadian and they only ever saw my German passport. Theoretically I would not be breaking the law then if I took up Singapore Citizenship and would renounce my German Citizenship, isn't it? When I would apply for a Singapore passport I can then declare that I have not taken up another citizenship, because I had it all along? So this might actually be a way to have dual citizenship with one being SC.

I am just hypothetically speaking though.
Nope - you're still breaking the law. You are NOT allowed to have 2 citizenships. Even if the SG govt doesn't know about it - you still have it. Think of the classic question - "if a tree falls in the forest and there is no-one around to hear, does it make a sound?"

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 09 Oct 2009 1:06 am

carteki wrote:
econoMIC wrote: Here is one for our regular users though: I had an idea. What if you are a dual national already, eg. in my case Canadian and German. I never told them I was Canadian and they only ever saw my German passport. Theoretically I would not be breaking the law then if I took up Singapore Citizenship and would renounce my German Citizenship, isn't it? When I would apply for a Singapore passport I can then declare that I have not taken up another citizenship, because I had it all along? So this might actually be a way to have dual citizenship with one being SC.

Nope - you're still breaking the law. You are NOT allowed to have 2 citizenships. Even if the SG govt doesn't know about it - you still have it. Think of the classic question - "if a tree falls in the forest and there is no-one around to hear, does it make a sound?"
ksl likes this :lol: The answer is yes, because sound waves travel! :lol:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 09 Oct 2009 7:06 am

Of course that would be dependent on the auditory faculties of the listener wouldn't it. That's why dog whistles are silent to us, but not the dog.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter

Post by econoMIC » Fri, 09 Oct 2009 4:46 pm

carteki wrote:

No wait. I know we had this a million times before and we concluded that the law specifically only is that you have to declare you didn't take up another citizenship when you apply for a passport. Further you can't be naturalised without giving up your current citizenship... Oh wait. Most likely it will say current citizenships... Okay scratch that.
Last edited by econoMIC on Fri, 09 Oct 2009 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a.k.a. littlegreenman

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 09 Oct 2009 5:45 pm

For the record, you have to formally renounce your citizenship in any other countries that you may hold citizenship for. However, that does not mean you have given up your citizenship as once you have given the letter of renunciation to your respective embassy, it's up the the other government to either accept your renunciation or not. You have followed the letter of the law as required by the Singapore Government. However, Singapore cannot tell another government what it can and cannot do........ I reckon it depends on which country you are from and how much stroke it has. :wink:

econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter

Post by econoMIC » Fri, 09 Oct 2009 6:43 pm

True, but I do not think ICA will hand out a citizenship certificate to you before they see an acknowledgement from your current country of citizenship as otherwise everybody would just say they sent the letter renouncing to their high commission...

Of course you are absolutely right though. For example Iranians can not renounce their citizenship at all. They are not allowed to and can not. Of course they can cut all ties with Iran and not apply for a passport any more after taking up another citizenship but they will still be stuck with their Iranian citizenship.
a.k.a. littlegreenman

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Fri, 09 Oct 2009 11:31 pm

econoMIC wrote:True, but I do not think ICA will hand out a citizenship certificate to you before they see an acknowledgement from your current country of citizenship as otherwise everybody would just say they sent the letter renouncing to their high commission...
This has been discussed before: there is no way to get such an acknowledgment from many countries, like Iran (and other axis of evil types like, say, Belgium) and ICA does not insist on it. Declaring that you no longer hold other allegiances is on your conscience, enforced by the fact that if you lie and ever get busted, you're looking at doing time in pound-me-on-the-ass-with-a-rotan Changi Prison.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

batgirl_cdn
Regular
Regular

Post by batgirl_cdn » Sun, 11 Oct 2009 3:11 pm

If I planned to settle for the rest of my life in Singapore I would seek citizenship.