Singapore Expats

Local school

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
Lo

Local school

Post by Lo » Thu, 08 Oct 2009 12:07 pm

We will be moving to Singapore soon and I wish to sent my 6 years old girl to a local school. We have not decided where to stay therefore any school in Singapore will be fine. Any recommendation?[/img][/list][/list][/code][/quote][/u][/i]
Smiley

econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter

Post by econoMIC » Thu, 08 Oct 2009 3:54 pm

Yes, all government schools are of a good standard and safe. A thing to keep in mind is that they will pick up Singlish more than if they attend a private school, but that is minor. What is very important to keep in mind is that the Singaporean Education system is quite tough and they start "to stream" kids at a young age. Although theoretically all schools have the same standard some are more popular than others and it is a rat race from day one for your child to outperform everyone else and get tuition even if they are on top of the class.

I personally do not have children but other users will be able to help you more on this and add to what I mentioned above. You might also want to use the search function and go through the forum called Parenting, Family & Schools where this has been discussed several time at length already.
a.k.a. littlegreenman

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Re: Local school

Post by road.not.taken » Fri, 09 Oct 2009 8:57 am

Lo wrote:We will be moving to Singapore soon and I wish to sent my 6 years old girl to a local school. We have not decided where to stay therefore any school in Singapore will be fine. Any recommendation?[/img][/list][/list][/code]
If any school would be fine, then why do you need recommendations? Surely there are some aspects of a school that appeal to you more than others? or at least geography? Where will the employed spouse be working? That might be a good start.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Fri, 09 Oct 2009 12:19 pm

you'd find it quite difficult (if not impossible) to get your kid into the more popular primary schools, and can strike all of them out (eg, raffles girls', tao nan, nanyang, rosyth, ai tong).

there are disadvantages for sticking your child in a school that's located far from where you stay, such as the kid having to wake up very early to take the school bus (eg, 5am).

having said that, you can always transfer her out when you've finally settled down. might not be the best thing for her tho.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 09 Oct 2009 3:35 pm

I would go as far as saying you have very little choice in placing your 6 year old.

My daughter was in kindergarten here, so we purchased our property next to the school 30 meters across the rd. unfortunately Singaporean citizens get first priority, and if they already have children in the school, brothers and sister get priority.

All the schools were the same in our neighbourhood, in the end we managed to get in Haig Girls, which was around 4 miles away, it took another 2 years waiting for a transfer and constantly reminding the school we wanted her to join.

Though i can highly recommend Haig girl school, it was a school with quite a few expats, and our daughter adapted very well, and loved it there. The school she is at now is more strict, demanding and no other expats that we know of. Though the move was easier because she knew many children from the kindergarten. Though like i said, you don't really have any choice and it appears that Haig girls is one school that does take expats