Singapore Expats

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
nader

Post by nader » Mon, 05 Oct 2009 11:54 pm

:shock:
Last edited by nader on Fri, 22 Mar 2013 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 06 Oct 2009 12:01 am

Depends on many factors, like how long you have been married, though i would suspect you will not get PR, but LTSVP.

nader

Post by nader » Tue, 06 Oct 2009 12:04 am

i been married since 9 months now nd my son is a singapore citizen

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 06 Oct 2009 12:14 am

nader wrote:i been married since 9 months now nd my son is a singapore citizen
Then the PR is most certainly out of the question, get your wife to apply for the LTSVP , if you can find work, you can then apply for the LOC to work though i am no expert.... So i would advise you to talk with an ICA officer with your wife on what route should you take.

They are very helpful and will only quote the criteria for staying here. MOM is the one you must ask if you can work or not. Normally on LTSVP you cannot work, but if you find a job, because you have your spouse here, they nearly always give you dispensation I should say.

If she is earning over 2500 a month it's easier for you, though if she is a low income earner, it's going to be hard to convince the authorities you can survive financially. Good Luck
Last edited by ksl on Tue, 06 Oct 2009 12:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

nader

Post by nader » Tue, 06 Oct 2009 12:16 am

thnx man for you reply i appreciate it

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 06 Oct 2009 12:36 am

nader wrote:thnx man for you reply i appreciate it
You may get a surprise and ICA may tell your wife you can apply straight away, either way, don't panic you will get an LTSVP at least, though your job prospects maybe quite difficult. You may like to ask around Arab Street area, for some work....Companies do not have to pay the government levy to employ you, which makes it more attractive maybe SMS can employ you. :wink: Can you drive?

wcs
Chatter
Chatter

Post by wcs » Wed, 07 Oct 2009 4:07 pm

Would you consider a career in the military? PRs are eligible to join the Singapore Armed Forces.

You have a family here in Singapore, so you can show you have a genuine commitment to the country.

You have six years of military experience which is valuable to Singapore too. Many people here just serve the minimum time and then get out of the SAF.

Try going to a recruitment office and have a speak to them.

It is a long shot but you may be able to apply for PR through your wife and have it supported by signing a bond to the SAF. It does not hurt having another govt agency supporting your application.

Like I say it is a long shot, but IMHO it is better than sitting around on a long term social visit pass waiting to be able to start your new life!

Discuss it with your wife.

http://www.mindef.gov.sg/arc/default.asp

econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter

Post by econoMIC » Wed, 07 Oct 2009 6:59 pm

wcs wrote:Would you consider a career in the military? PRs are eligible to join the Singapore Armed Forces.

You have a family here in Singapore, so you can show you have a genuine commitment to the country.

You have six years of military experience which is valuable to Singapore too. Many people here just serve the minimum time and then get out of the SAF.

Try going to a recruitment office and have a speak to them.

It is a long shot but you may be able to apply for PR through your wife and have it supported by signing a bond to the SAF. It does not hurt having another govt agency supporting your application.

Like I say it is a long shot, but IMHO it is better than sitting around on a long term social visit pass waiting to be able to start your new life!

Discuss it with your wife.

http://www.mindef.gov.sg/arc/default.asp
That might just work actually. After you retire from the military you can get good jobs with the Police Force or Prison Service. They pay quite well.
a.k.a. littlegreenman

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Fri, 09 Oct 2009 11:27 am

wcs wrote:Would you consider a career in the military? PRs are eligible to join the Singapore Armed Forces.
that is the worse reason for joining the SAF. i won't say more than "DON'T DO IT!"
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”