Singapore Expats

Help for Typhoon Ondoy (Ketsana) victims

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 02 Oct 2009 4:08 pm

taxico wrote:having donated a few times, it does get a little trying when it appears (to me) the PH govt haven't done enough...
While there maybe truth in that statement but consider around 12% of the Philippine population are concentrated in Manila and the city is grossly over crowded. The countrys' unemployment is around 45% and that was before the recession you can probably imagine the drain on resources. Nohting unusual seeing shanty towns below the fly-over and I suspect many of the victims of the flooding were amongst the occupants of such places in addtion to the more usual residents of the city.

batgirl_cdn
Regular
Regular

Post by batgirl_cdn » Fri, 02 Oct 2009 10:15 pm

Fingers crossed that the new Typhoon headed for Northern Luzon won't be as devastating.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Sat, 03 Oct 2009 3:13 am

thank you for everyone who helped. prayers and donations keep coming from generous people. i would like to say though that this disaster have also brought out the best in people.

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Asian_Geekette » Sat, 03 Oct 2009 3:07 pm

morenangpinay wrote: Maybe it is just that alot of us Filipinos are on the internet, on facebook, on twitter, multiply, and social websites.
Since most of Filipinos are overseas workers, during this calamity we didnt have any means to communicate with our families back home so we used the internet to commune with other Filipinos and express what we are feeling. Alot of us went to the internet to know if our families were affected...I for one did not get any news from home until sunday night. We were also overwhelmed by the situation...
Our family home has never had any flood waters getting into the house until last week's Ondoy's (international name: Ketsana) onslaught of rains. :( Fortunately, the waters was just ankle deep (our home is on higher ground compared to other locations in the city). I felt powerless last Saturday afternoon when I was on the phone with my younger sister. This was the first time that flood waters came into our home. It used to be that it happened to other places, to other people. But now even the old neighborhood I grew up in was affected. I wanted to fly home and help with the clean-up but then there were no flights available. When I finally saw the news, I realized the extent of the devastation. Even if I did get a flight and get to land in the airport, I would have to walk/swim through flooded roads/wade through muddy streets (more than 20 kilometers) to get to our family home.

I turned to Facebook to get the latest breaking news (the social networking sites provided faster updates than the traditional news media). Anyway, my younger sister said she'll cope with the clean-up. But she did tell me that now with another hurricane coming in, she's afraid that there maybe another flood. :(

Thanks to those who have donated goods (food/meds, etc) and money to the different organizations.
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Sat, 03 Oct 2009 8:19 pm

hi asian_geekette so sorry bout your familyhome. our house was flooded but not as high as the other people. In our house the flood water was above the knees. but sadly my brother's house was flooded up to the first floor and my niece was just released from the hospital today for her fever.so many trials but im sure well get through it. It is fortunate for us that our families have family overseas working. but im sad for others who dont have anyone else.

lets just pray for their safety and help in our own way since we cant go home.