Singapore Expats

Recruit agent

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
glennyuen

Recruit agent

Post by glennyuen » Sun, 23 Jul 2006 1:49 pm

Hi ,

i'm glenn from singapore, jus am curious about how local recruit agency works,

1) Wats their agreement between employer and employee?
2)Standard commission(%) on employer shall a deal is done
3)how the agent and her company earn in terms of profit sharing?

Last but not least, can an individual set up his/her own recruit agency ? Wats're the steps to go about?

Many thanks for an answer

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Recruit agent

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 24 Jul 2006 9:20 am

glennyuen wrote:Hi ,

Last but not least, can an individual set up his/her own recruit agency ? Wats're the steps to go about?

1) Negotiable
2) Negotiable
3) Negotiable

Yes

Call MOM or go to MOM's website as well as ACRA's website to register a business, see requirements to get license, bonds, insurance, etc.

As you obviously know absolutely nothing about the recruitment industry, I would suggest you try to get hired by a recruitment agency first and work for 6 months to a year to get to know the business. Then and only then think about investing money into your own operation. (there are currently over 1100 licenses issued in a population of only 4 million which is rediculous.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

m_d_tan

Post by m_d_tan » Fri, 02 Oct 2009 4:02 am

Zul,

Are you still in this business? Do you have the license? reply to : [email protected]

Rocky140

planning a recruitment agency service

Post by Rocky140 » Wed, 07 Oct 2009 5:41 pm

I have about 6 years recruitment experience and currently am a part business owner.

I am a strong believer that everything is possible but I have one advise for you. Unless if you have extensive recruitment experience, a nerve made of steel and unmatched motivation you will be throwing your money in the bin.

This industry is filled with experienced hunters that will crush you before you have a chance to even find what happened. Also you need a lot of experience working with candidates and understand the games they play (there is too many to even list here)

Recruitment is probably one of the most stressful jobs, right up there with stock trading and by far more demanding than your normal sales job like realestate. It is a double sales job where your product has an opinion if you know what that means.

I am not here to disappoint you but if you really want to do it, work for a company first, get experience then do it.

sundaymorningstaple

Re: planning a recruitment agency service

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 07 Oct 2009 6:27 pm

Rocky140 wrote: This industry is filled with experienced hunters that will crush you before you have a chance to even find what happened. Also you need a lot of experience working with candidates and understand the games they play (there is too many to even list here).
Rocky, you are a laugh a minute! You know that?

The recruiters are the ones who play games. Believe me, I know. I'm an HR Manager of a medium/large SME who also spend 14 years as a headhunter here. I, sadly to say, have met some rather slimy characters in the industry over the years and even sadder to say, most of them were in the bigger, more well known agencies here on the little red dot. There are not more than around 15-20 experienced hunters in Singapore who are worth their salt, truth be known.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

memorieschc

Re: Recruit agent

Post by memorieschc » Tue, 13 Oct 2009 7:20 pm

glennyuen wrote:Hi ,

1) Employer is the one who usually pays once they managed to find a candidate via the recruit agency.
2) Depending on the position and salary. Could range from 20% (with a minimum amt stated in the contract) to 1 mth of the person's salary. In the case of employing a high position person (like CEO), a certain percentage of the person's annual salary.
3) The company set targets for the agent. In most cases, it would be basic plus commissions.

Doris yeo

hi

Post by Doris yeo » Fri, 04 Dec 2009 11:50 pm

Hi, guys

1) if my business is to place china local candidates to the companies there, which means neither candidates nor client companies are from Singapore, do i still need to apply license?

2) If people hunting is just a small portion of my business, for example, my company could be a consultancy company to provide various services, may include HR related ones, need to apply license?

thanks
doris

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 05 Dec 2009 6:52 am

Unless the rules have changed in the last 5 years......

If you recruit anybody for a position/employer in Singapore OR you recruit a Singaporean for any position regardless whether or not it is in Singapore or an employer in another country, you need a recruiters license. This also goes if you are involved in other businesses as well, if you recruit locally based companies or place locals on jobs overseas, you need a license.

Otherwise, you do not. But if you are operating a business from Singapore you STILL need to register your company/business with ACRA, etc.

sms

Doris yeo

Can apply home office scheme?

Post by Doris yeo » Tue, 08 Dec 2009 10:33 pm

Hi,

oic... thanks, btw, can use HDB house as office?

thanks

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 08 Dec 2009 11:25 pm

Yes you can, provided you get written permission to do so. As a matter of record, I was the very first recruiter to get a license and written permission to use my HDB flat for that purpose. This was back in August of 2005. It was the first one and additionally also the first to do the entire application process via the internet, but was monitored by the Assistant head of MOM at that time to ensure the process went according to Hoyle. It did.

The glitch in the operating from an HDB is that you are not allowed to hire help other than a family member who actually lives in the flat. Additionally, you are not allowed to post any advertising outside (including your door) nor are you allow to entertain walk-in traffic (the first complaint from the neighbours, there goes your license). As I was/am, in addition to my full-time job, an offshore engineering headhunter, this setup suited me to a "T" as all my work is done normally in the evenings and with people who aren't even in Singapore.

sms

shalamazoo

Post by shalamazoo » Tue, 12 Jan 2010 4:24 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Yes you can, provided you get written permission to do so. As a matter of record, I was the very first recruiter to get a license and written permission to use my HDB flat for that purpose. This was back in August of 2005. It was the first one and additionally also the first to do the entire application process via the internet, but was monitored by the Assistant head of MOM at that time to ensure the process went according to Hoyle. It did.

The glitch in the operating from an HDB is that you are not allowed to hire help other than a family member who actually lives in the flat. Additionally, you are not allowed to post any advertising outside (including your door) nor are you allow to entertain walk-in traffic (the first complaint from the neighbours, there goes your license). As I was/am, in addition to my full-time job, an offshore engineering headhunter, this setup suited me to a "T" as all my work is done normally in the evenings and with people who aren't even in Singapore.

sms
Hi Sundaymorning:
can you recommend a agency that import foreign workers for the F&B industry??

Thank in advance :) :)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 12 Jan 2010 6:18 pm

Flip a coin. There are all crooks. :-|

shalamazoo

Post by shalamazoo » Tue, 12 Jan 2010 9:55 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Flip a coin. There are all crooks. :-|
:D :D what other alternative would i have?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 12 Jan 2010 11:32 pm

There really aren't any alternatives. Maybe pick the smallest, oldest one you can find so if you have to chase the sucker, you'll at least stand a chance of catching him so you can wring his neck. :P

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Wed, 13 Jan 2010 9:05 am

shalamazoo wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Flip a coin. There are all crooks. :-|
:D :D what other alternative would i have?
Employ locals or PRs?