Singapore Expats

NEED ADViCE. small girl BIG DREAMS

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
ukdesigner
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ukdesigner » Tue, 14 Jul 2009 12:24 pm

The best thing to do is sit down from the start with pen and paper.

1. Work out the cost of buying or renting a cart per month/year
2. Make enquiries into rental space from you preferred location per month/year
3. Find out what licences are required. Talk to the Minstries who I am sure will gladly proviide you with all the information you need.
3. Enquire (with the same people) if their are any grants/loans available for start-ups
4. Find out the cost of your ingredients and then work out the cost of each item sold. Don't forget to include EVERYTHING including the cost of utensils, oil, chilli sauce, ketchup, salt & pepper etc etc. It's the small items that could count at the end of the day between a profit and loss.
5. From that cost you can work out a retail price and then calculate, adding the cost of rental of the unit and space and your own minimum requirements for wages (be realaistic. Don't expect wage of 10k a month immediately as trust me it just won't happen) as to the amount of items you need to sell per day/month/year

As a business owner myself let me give you one major piece of advice.
Make sure you do your homework and be realistic. Don't go with selling say 1000 items a day if that is not really feasible otherwise you will come unstuck very quickly.

Try and put a business plan down on paper (exclude your own wages at this stage) that shows all these costs and then you can see what would be left for you to have as a salary at the end of the year. Don't forget your taxes to deduct aswell, CPF contribution etc etc. Include EVERYTHING. Don't miss anything out. Even top-up a few items here and there.

Remember also, that you will have to make time to go and collect ingredients and supplies. When will you manage to do that ON TOP of running the stall. What you are doing, running a business that is, is NOT a 9-5 job. You are a salesperson, a chef (in this case), the marketing executive, the accountant, book-keeper etc etc. YOU ARE THE BUSINESS and the business is you. Be ready to work 18 hour days as they will happen. When will you get time off. How are you going to generate new customers. If you want to play music in your stall do you need a licence? Cover ALL THE BASES. That way you know exactly what you are getting in to.

Like people say.... preparation, preparation, preparation.
Don't p*ss me off! I am running out of places to hide the bodies.

indromeo99

hi nadya..

Post by indromeo99 » Sat, 18 Jul 2009 3:32 am

i appreciate member - ukdesigner comments. just follow that "basics" and you will get an answer for yourself.my advice - "if there is a demand, there is a market"

good luck
-be my own boss-

Nadya

Thank You

Post by Nadya » Fri, 24 Jul 2009 3:35 am

Dear All,

Thanks for taking your time to give me some useful advices. Thank you Mr ukdesigner.

Sorry for taking so long replying to your post as i was busy running my family business.
As i mention on my previous post, i decide to put my plan on the mobile food wagon on hold. Im not even sure if its worth going through the process of getting all the necessary license and approval as the risk of getting the wagon is too high. It is also too costly (Mum told me that, if i want to spend that kind of money on wagon, might as well i set up a cafe!!) I mean it does makes alot of sense.

Anyway,Ill be leaving for Thailand tomorow for 2 weeks and once i return, i will start working on my business plan. I manage to get some contacts for the space and locations. As you all know, setting it up in a mall or interchange is a hassle and the process might take months or maybe longer.As i cant afford to wait that long (and before my savings run dry),i decide to go for an easier option. - The Night Market - Yes the one in your neighbourhood. The rent is not too expensive and theres alot of human traffic!I mean it is a good way to start a small business.

Hopefully, on October, this cart will start running! I will update here once a week on my progress. Wish me luck!! and please, keep on giving me advice or ideas! I love to hear more from you guys!

Nadya
[email protected]

mrswkn
Regular
Regular

Post by mrswkn » Sun, 13 Sep 2009 6:48 am

deleted
Last edited by mrswkn on Wed, 17 Apr 2013 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Krocky

Post by Krocky » Thu, 24 Sep 2009 2:52 pm

Also looked into the idea but believed that due to control issues by the food inspectors in Singapore this idea was not transferable to reality for me.
But if you have a good idea go for it!

Nadya

What have i done lately?

Post by Nadya » Wed, 30 Sep 2009 12:45 am

Hey All,

I've just received an email asking if there's any progress on my business plan. I'm just too busy and distracted, i guess. Talk about commitments!

Anyway, earlier today i went to ACRA and i can proudly say that i am the owner of G&G! Yes! Its a registered company!

Don't congrat me yet as that is all to it.

Meanwhile,after much consideration (and headaches!), i've decided to purchase a van (so that i can store the pushcart when there's no Pasar Malam and to transport it back and forth. It will save me alot of money on the long run.) Well, in case you guys are wondering,its a second hand china van on a 5 years loan. I hope didnt make the wrong move as i heard that it can easily break down!! But hey,thats the only brand i can afford right now.And its too late if you guys think otherwise, cos i already deposited it! Please give me some encouragement!

So,back on track, I've been going from Pasar Malam to Pasar Malam to search for an event organizer that can get me the best locations (like the one in Tampines Interchange or Bedok MRT) as the human trafiic there is very encouraging, based on my opinion that is.
And also,i cant possibly book a space yet as the van is not ready(due to some complications with the paperwork), and if the van is not ready, i cant buy the pushcart, and if the pushcart is not ready, there's no point booking a space. Hope that makes sense.

Savings are running dry,i have to get this running ASAP!!

Regards
Nadya

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Wed, 30 Sep 2009 6:08 pm

you could hire a van if there are opportunities now... i know some private van/mini bus owners rent out their vehicle and driving services.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

krishie

Post by krishie » Thu, 31 Dec 2009 8:56 pm

Hi Nadya,

Saw your thread. I started a business with zero experience as well and it takes alot more than just passion and ideas. I am glad to see you have the drive and the test is definitely diving into a business.

Its an uphill battle and everything that could go wrong will and you must be prepared for it.

If you are in Thailand, you can see the push-cart concept working wonderfully well but bear in mind these are not businesses, these are livelihoods of people. I presume you dont wish to do this for life and so you need to get your concept right and most importantly this plan must be scalable. If not you are going to find yourself working 25 hours a day for a few years and heading back to the drawing boards.

Another big pointer I can give you is revenue streams. Make sure you have your revenue streams sorted out. You must be 100% objective when deciding if this business is feasible because paper and practicality are 2 different worlds altogether.

I will give you a suggestion, that is to have a partner. Hopefully investor and working partner. Its better to split the risk in the get go. This will also give you a better vantage point when making strategic decisions pertaining to your business very objectively.

Business is not a race, its a marathon. So plan well and I wish you all the best. Cheers !

Nadya

Post by Nadya » Mon, 04 Jan 2010 3:03 am

Hi all,

Three months has passed and i finally managed to lift up my fingers to actually write my thoughts down.

After my last post, I manage to settled all that is needed to get my van running. The first week was a joy ride.. I mean, all girls my age would be, when they get to own their first vehicle. The question that comes along with it, is.. "Now what??" From the start,it has all been bad planning.

I felt down in the dumps for the next week, thinking.. how am i supposed to generate a good source of income, enough to help me save and also to pay off my in-house finance(for the first 4 months) and installments for the van. Im in trouble.

So i finally decided that i should just a get a proper decent job and use the van as a form of transportation. As i was reading through classified,

*Drivers Needed, possess own van,* caught my eyes.

Well,that makes alot of sense.

The next three months is history. Questions were asked. Some were amazed. Some were skeptical. Im their only 23 years old FEMALE driver.Its a male-dominated enviroment.My job? i provide delivery services for events and caterings.. This job has teach me valuable lessons.. Ive appreciate people, time and money more than ever before. Every assignments has opened up doors, doors i never thought exist. Everyday is a learning journey.

Will i be able to sustain with such a high overhead? So far, yes.
And im proud that i've made a decent amount for someone who is new in this line.I working so hard to make end meets. But i can manage. I know i can.

Alot of things has changed. Priority Changes. And the consequences that comes along with it. It has been a crazy, crazy ride. And it still will be for the next few months. My goal is still the same. Only ive choosen a different path.

Till the next post
Nadya

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Mon, 04 Jan 2010 11:58 am

So does that mean you are open to be hired, for delivery drops. what are your rates per drop? Or can this company keep you fully booked.

Nadya

Post by Nadya » Tue, 05 Jan 2010 3:10 pm

ksl wrote:So does that mean you are open to be hired, for delivery drops. what are your rates per drop? Or can this company keep you fully booked.
Im only on a part time-basis, they usually text me a few days before and on last minute bookings. It has been pretty good the past months,sometimes i have to turn down a couple of assignments. I haven't received any phone calls since new year though,but business should be picking up in the coming week.

And yes, i am open to be hired, but you have to let me know a few days in advance. Ratings are based on per trip, distance and weight. PM me if you're interested.

jerm

Post by jerm » Thu, 18 Mar 2010 2:48 pm

Hi Nadya,

I read your enties with awe & admiration. I salute you for being resolute, dreaming big, and being a survivor.

Push on.

fame

Congrats

Post by fame » Tue, 30 Mar 2010 1:51 am

Hi Nadya congrats. I truly understand what u went thru. I myself personally started my own business. In fact I started a few before. Three failed left me broke, but the 4th one was better.

The moral of the story is we got to persevere. And when we fall, we pick ourself up and learn from it. There are people who will try to bring you down by pouring cold water. But Please don't give up.

All the best!
With my two pillars Listening and Passion, I Educate and Enlighten clients with utmost Honesty and Sincerity.

Fame Naseer

ckvkarma
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ckvkarma » Fri, 28 Sep 2012 4:00 pm

I am trying to find a Foodcart suppliers, any recommended ones?
[SIMPLE-SENSE. ZERO-SCIENCE]

Plutonium

Post by Plutonium » Wed, 21 Nov 2012 5:25 pm

Hi Nadya, I am a student from Temasek Poly Product & Industrial Design, I am designing a mobile food kart/van for my FYP. Could I talk to you and see how if we could help each other?