Singapore Expats

Slides to digital

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
carolynW
Chatter
Chatter

Slides to digital

Post by carolynW » Tue, 22 Sep 2009 8:52 pm

Does anyone know where I can transfer images on slides (i think the 35mm ones) onto digital format?

thanks!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 22 Sep 2009 9:19 pm

Anybody with a film scanner will be able to do it. I have a 3200dpi Epson Flatbed scanner with slide holders & film holders and it does a pretty good job. But to ensure high end, large format photos, a higher resolution film scanner would be the trick.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

carolynW
Chatter
Chatter

Post by carolynW » Wed, 23 Sep 2009 8:28 am

These are commercial use and high quality slides so I want to convert them to also digital high quality and don't mind paying for the service, any ideas on service providers?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 23 Sep 2009 8:49 am

carolynW wrote:These are commercial use and high quality slides so I want to convert them to also digital high quality and don't mind paying for the service, any ideas on service providers?
I'd check the Fujifilm stores around town. Most of the larger ones have film scanners, I think.

ukdesigner
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ukdesigner » Wed, 23 Sep 2009 11:11 am

for what use and what purpose? An epson home scanner like sms has got will only interpolate 3200dpi whereas a drum or dedicated film scanner can scan at something like 12000dpi at it's natural resolution.

It always come down to end use. If you want them to be blown up to the size of a house then you'll need them drum or dedicated film scanned. A drum scan will have them taken out of their slide holders. If you want them for just print then you need to consider the maximum size you'll blow them up to and then work back from there.

I am not sure of they have dedicated repro (reprographics) houses here. They seem to be a thing of the past these days with cheap computers and software. Back in the UK we used to pay anywhere between £12 to £100 per scan depending on the work required and the finished size. Also bare in mind the file size on a 12000dpi image will be huge and unlikely to be saved as a jpg but more likely to be an eps or tiff file (jpgs degrade the image as they compress the image and remove the quality element which is exactly what you are trying to avoid).

If it's just for presentation use then it'll be cheaper to buy a cheap film scanner or like sms has got, a flatbed scanner than can take slides than getting it done at a repro place.
Don't p*ss me off! I am running out of places to hide the bodies.

carolynW
Chatter
Chatter

Post by carolynW » Wed, 23 Sep 2009 12:11 pm

Thanks for that, prob will be saved as TIFF file, they are images of paintings donated to a museum and will be used in reproduction in magazines or catalogue (mainly), there is a chance (but small) that they will be blown up the size of a large banner.

ukdesigner
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ukdesigner » Wed, 23 Sep 2009 12:19 pm

look-up Micrographics Data Pte Ltd - they may do what you want. Just remember that your slides might be removed out of their holders.
Don't p*ss me off! I am running out of places to hide the bodies.