Singapore Expats

anyone considering buying a netbook or eeepc for their child

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
lukester

anyone considering buying a netbook or eeepc for their child

Post by lukester » Wed, 23 Sep 2009 11:54 am

was wondering if anyone is considering buying an eeepc or netbook alike for their children?

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Wed, 23 Sep 2009 4:48 pm

why???????? cant they play marbles?

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Fri, 25 Sep 2009 4:10 pm

durain wrote:why???????? cant they play marbles?
Maybe the parents have lost them 8-)

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: anyone considering buying a netbook or eeepc for their c

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 25 Sep 2009 8:31 pm

lukester wrote:was wondering if anyone is considering buying an eeepc or netbook alike for their children?
It is a good idea. Even young children can learn to use the computer. Make sure you start simple, like very easy to play games... depending upon the age of the child. Don't have overly high expectations.

How old is your child?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sat, 26 Sep 2009 12:40 am

I purchased the EEE PC because my eyesight is not good, and my fingers are the largest size Z, which makes it difficult to use mobile phones for emails.

My 9 year old girl is computer savvy, she claims it for all her online projects, from school. She uses microsoft word and power point for her projects and I allow her to use constructive educational learning games, not time wasting games. She can be addictive to the typing speed game, always trying to beat her own score, which is good, providing they are typing correctly though children shouldn't spend more than 1 max 2 hrs a day on computers in my opinion and must learn to be outdoors playing or doing sport. Sitting down too long can also cause thrombosis in children and a few have died from blood clots after sitting playing games for 6 hrs a day.

I recommend the latest EEE PC by Asus, for one reason only, they was the first to manufacture the netbook, and the quality is solid. They will keep and improve their market share with strong solid management, and I invest in the company too since 2000 with no regrets!

merichan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by merichan » Sat, 26 Sep 2009 2:51 pm

I guess it depends how old is the child...

Personnally will consider it when our daughter will be doing school work on computer... but even then it won't be in free access.

So far she has a profile on our main computer ( she's 5) which is convenient to make sure she doesn't access some internet pages or damages our files.

She uses it sometimes for some online educative games.

waldmeister

Post by waldmeister » Sun, 27 Sep 2009 2:15 pm

When choosing a netbook, think about taking a Linux system as the layout is clearer and probably more intuitive for a child. You get less functionality but if you only use basic applications like internet, office and small games thats fine.

I would also recommend taking a SSD drive instead of a harddisk as they have no mechanical parts and therefore are shock-resistant and don't mind a rougher handling ;) The size is smaller, but if your child doesn't intend to store lots of videos shouldn't be a problem.

I am in fact using the eeepc 901 (with linux and SSD) since a year and am very happy with it!

waldmeister

Post by waldmeister » Mon, 05 Oct 2009 8:40 pm

Hi Lukester,

I have no children, the netbook was just for me :D
can´t yet send PM, so if you still want my help, just send me your email.

Bye

jon-london

eeepc

Post by jon-london » Sat, 17 Oct 2009 12:40 pm

I got myself an eeepc and have to say its really good if all you want is a simple pc to check emails / internet