Singapore Expats

take that take 3...

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
taxico
Director
Director

take that take 3...

Post by taxico » Mon, 21 Sep 2009 9:01 am

been poking around m1's website after the wife got me an easy-to-remember number as an early x'mas present.

their take 3 dealio seems intriguing... been looking at the $50.29/month plan (sunsaver & BIS) which gives me a blackberry.

any downsides to it? (durian, i need you.) did my sums... too...

it seems that if i were to stick with it for 2 years i will have some marginal savings; even after paying the fee to keep the phone at the end of that period.

*rubs chin*

does nokia messaging work?

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Mon, 21 Sep 2009 7:51 pm

has it got to be with M1? and a blackberry? have you check the bundle deal from starhub and singtel. usually it work out better to merge all your mobile, data, broadband, cable tv, etc all into one.

i think it is very difficult to compare a like for like plan/package from all the singapore telco. i bet they do it delibrately to confuse the consumer.

my blackberry is work, so that's free for me. only use it for emails and couple of sms. not much voice unless it is work related. my personal mobile is an old banger nokia 6120. need the symbian OS S60, HSDPA and the same miniUSB as the blackberry.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Mon, 21 Sep 2009 8:11 pm

my wife's got mio TV and internet hooked up at our place, and that's linked to her cell phone.

my only ties to M1 are from the gift of a m1 sim card when i return home - the wife purchased a special number for me, but as i understand it, these things are totally portable between operators now.

i'm disinclined to go to starhub as reception is terrible where we will be staying. during my years in singapore i've not had happy experiences with singtel either, so they're out too.

i'm just not sure if i've got the whole scenario worked out right now as i'm basing everything on the details and fineprint from m1's website...

if i bought a regular blackberry, i'd be hooked onto a 2 year contract:

$398 (phone price on contract) + $616.32 (25.68/voice plan x 24 months) + $385.20 (16.05/1gb bis plan x 24 months) + $128.40 (24 month caller ID)

my total bill for this 1gb plan is: 1527.92

if i took the take3 blackberry handset, i'll have to take a 3gb data plan but pay nothing upfront for the phone:

$160.50 (price to keep phone at end of 24 months) + $1206.96 (50.29/voice+3gb bis plan x 24 months) + $128.40 (24 months caller-id)

my total bill for this 3gb plan is: 1495.86

so it appears that if i were to NOT destroy the phone during the first 21 months, i would be better off using take3 as i get more data to burn (voice/text msg entitlements are the same in both scenarios).

i'm not sure if i've left anything out. i hope not... and thank durain, i've been waiting for your reply!

i have to get a pushmail device because i do some part time consulting via email (requires immediate reply/PIN messaging). starhub's out of the picture. i could go to singtel if it really came down to it, but they don't offer a blackberry bold in their online store.

the alternative would be to try out nokia messaging, which i'm sure will suck the battery dry real fast, but i've not had real experience with it yet.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Mon, 21 Sep 2009 11:47 pm

on paper, the take3 seems to be the better plan. how are you doing it is correct in listing out the total full cost for the duration. i havent had a look at starhub or singtel plan yet, but i guess no harm in doing the same comparison for the same or roughly price plan/data/etc for the same duration.

2 years is a long time to live with your mobile device, so make sure it is THE ONE. pity i couldnt say a mobile device is for life, not just for christmas. :P

oh... one thing you forgot to mention, do you need roaming? need to take that into consideration too if you need it!

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Tue, 22 Sep 2009 2:15 pm

my blackberry 7290... has been with me... since... i don't know. ages ago! more than 2 years for sure!

i'm on my third battery and the beast still works fine. it looks a little worn around the edges (literally) but i've got no reason to toss it out yet.

i'm very surprised the keypad still works! i think i've had this since... 2005 or 2004. it has gone through one change of casing though.

i cracked it when i sat on it once too enthusiastically, but nothing else was damaged! even the screen is still delightful, despite the glare coating aging a little.

i can't do a comparison with singtel as they don't offer the bold, and i don't think i'm going to starhub because of reception problems...

why do you suggest starhub? (i can't take the "Triple Play" package because my "new" place is not wired for cable and i refuse to pay for people to dig up the garden and damage the tiles or drill the walls).

don't think i'll be roaming anywhere anytime soon... i start my masters next year and i'll be stuck in the country until it's complete.

i seriously doubt i'll have the time to go abroad over the next 3 years!!

pow!