Singapore Expats

Ris Low the perfect face for the Good English Campagn

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
QRM
Manager
Manager

Ris Low the perfect face for the Good English Campagn

Post by QRM » Fri, 18 Sep 2009 2:56 pm

Has anyone seen the interview of the 2009 Miss Singapore Ris Low? She would make the perfect face for the good English campaign. I was going to post a You tube link to it, but I notice the interview was done by the bunch we are not allowed to mention.

While everyone takes the piss, she is a pretty good representation of the average person on the street.

I was at botanical Gardens when a load of school kids turned up, the teacher spoke just like Ris Low :shock:

vbelle
Chatter
Chatter

Post by vbelle » Fri, 18 Sep 2009 5:57 pm

OMG.."bigini" ??

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Ris Low the perfect face for the Good English Campagn

Post by hibri2 » Fri, 18 Sep 2009 6:10 pm

QRM wrote: she is a pretty good representation of the average person on the street.
well, all those "miss something" are a good representation of the average person, take "miss teen south carolina" for example and you get a quite accurate view of the average U.S.er and so on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww

off course, the mass is as intelligent as teh lowest common denominator and what is popular and acceptable by the majority always lacks depth, ergo all those miss something are "pretty" and selected 'cause they please the average who feel represented by their normality...
"Do not pray in my school, and I will not think in your church." - Unknown.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Fri, 18 Sep 2009 6:31 pm

you see ah, in singapore, if you speak the queen's english, no one will understand what you talking about mah.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sun, 20 Sep 2009 12:59 pm

QRM wrote:Has anyone seen the interview of the 2009 Miss Singapore Ris Low? She would make the perfect face for the good English campaign. I was going to post a You tube link to it, but I notice the interview was done by the bunch we are not allowed to mention.

While everyone takes the piss, she is a pretty good representation of the average person on the street.

I was at botanical Gardens when a load of school kids turned up, the teacher spoke just like Ris Low :shock:
i didn't know what the heck you were talking about until i googled and watched it.

OMFG, she won the thing? they're crazy!

sipeh tekong lor! is belli fry ter nin lah! LEH!

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Sun, 20 Sep 2009 5:32 pm

When I read it on paper I had difficulties understanding it, but when I listened in on youtube, I had no problems getting what she said.

I have had more difficulties with Irish taxi drivers, who I though spoke English.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sun, 20 Sep 2009 8:47 pm

even if it's not singlish, the diction still makes it difficult to understand. the tough part is, if you're buying something and they don't understand you (because you have a different accent and you're convinced that your english is at least academically acceptable) and when they finally get what you want, they make you feel bad for "not communicating better."

bythesea

Post by bythesea » Mon, 21 Sep 2009 2:50 pm

imho everything must be taken into context.

language is a tool for communication aka two or more parties must be able to understand each other. if we are chatting with friends or getting some stuffs from the grocery store, queen's english or otherwise really makes no difference as long as the message gets conveyed across

as for teachers and other more representative roles (ms singapore for example), how you speak is not only a reflection of yourself but the organisation you are representing. for teachers, kids are like sponges so please, do your students a favour and speak correct english (we arent even talking about queen's english!)

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Mon, 21 Sep 2009 8:02 pm

bythesea wrote:language is a tool for communication aka two or more parties must be able to understand each other. if we are chatting with friends or getting some stuffs from the grocery store
Singlish pet peeve #872:

The noun is "stuff" (and, for that matter, "staff") in singular and plural. Never, ever "stuffs" or "staffs".
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

bythesea

Post by bythesea » Mon, 21 Sep 2009 8:35 pm

jpatokal wrote:
bythesea wrote:language is a tool for communication aka two or more parties must be able to understand each other. if we are chatting with friends or getting some stuffs from the grocery store
Singlish pet peeve #872:

The noun is "stuff" (and, for that matter, "staff") in singular and plural. Never, ever "stuffs" or "staffs".
opps! :oops: i learn new stuff everyday!

sorry that i did not reply in proper english. but you do get what i was trying to convey across right?

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Tue, 22 Sep 2009 10:42 am

bythesea wrote:sorry that i did not reply in proper english. but you do get what i was trying to convey across right?
With that attitude, then why bother walking over to hand your cash to a shop keeper may as well throw it from the other side of the room, he will get the message you are paying him.

May as well not bother saying thank you anymore just a grunt will suffice, and when asked direction from a stranger just a chin point will also convey the message.

Its called laziness, and shows a lack of courtesy to the person you are communicating to.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Tue, 22 Sep 2009 8:36 pm

I haven't seen the video but I feel very sorry for the young lady in question. She's probably about the same age as the daughters of a few of us on here. She didn't choose herself for the right to represent Singapore.
She was selected by - as some have suggested- those who should know better. Any euphoria she was feeling after being chosen has no doubt been completely negated by feelings of embarrassment- and possibly shock- at the public outcry that has occurred since she 'opened her mouth'. And yet I agree that a certain level of correct English should be part of the pre-requisite governing rules of such a competition....the whole scenario is unpleasant to say the least.
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Tue, 22 Sep 2009 10:51 pm

ozchick wrote:I haven't seen the video but I feel very sorry for the young lady in question. She's probably about the same age as the daughters of a few of us on here. She didn't choose herself for the right to represent Singapore.
Huh? She voluntarily joined in the competition, and public speaking is obviously one of the things the contestants need to do.
And yet I agree that a certain level of correct English should be part of the pre-requisite governing rules of such a competition....the whole scenario is unpleasant to say the least.
Bah humbug. I find this whole Singlish-bashing attitude distasteful: it's Singapore's native language, people should have pride in it. If you're a model getting interviewed on vital topics like "what is your personal style" or "what do you wear when you're feeling naughty", why not speak Singlish and connect with your audience?
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 22 Sep 2009 11:46 pm

I don't think Singlish is Singapore's native language. Nor is it the language of government either.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Wed, 23 Sep 2009 6:59 pm

jpatokal wrote: Huh? She voluntarily joined in the competition, and public speaking is obviously one of the things the contestants need to do.

I find this whole Singlish-bashing attitude distasteful: it's Singapore's native language, people should have pride in it. If you're a model getting interviewed on vital topics like "what is your personal style" or "what do you wear when you're feeling naughty", why not speak Singlish and connect with your audience?
Yeah but she may not have seen herself in such a 'bad light' with regard to her English. The social setting for her life's experiences probably didn't facilitate this.
I think Singlish is cute actually. I really like it and it has charm for sure. But on the world stage one just can't get away with that. I've missed out on jobs because I have an Aussie accent. That's life. One can try to change or accept the situation as it is.
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'