Singapore Expats

Malaysian incorporating a Private Limited in Singapore

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
Josh718

Malaysian incorporating a Private Limited in Singapore

Post by Josh718 » Sun, 20 Sep 2009 3:30 am

Hello everyone,

Sorry for creating a topic for this because I know there's already a lot of similar topics around, I have also read most of them. I posted this question at Strong Eagle's topic but not getting any response so I created a topic hoping to get noticed.

I am planning on registering a private limited company here in Singapore. What I plan to do is distribute a somewhat lifestyle magazine focusing on IT gadgets which is free, using advertising to subsidize the cost.

The manufacturing of the magazine will be done in China then exported into Singapore then distributed free-ly to passerby.

I do not need an office as most of the time I will be in Malaysia, the only time I'll be in Singapore will be the distribution and meeting with advertisers for the magazine.

I've also read all other threads here about incorporating a business but I would still like to ask a few questions, just to re-confirm on my understanding.

1) For the nominee director, can I use my aunt who is a Singaporean for it? She's over 55 years old.

2) If for some reason she doesn't want to do it, I would need to have a third party company for the nominee director - Is there a more cost efficient way around this because the last I check the price (refundable right?) is around $2000 to $2500 range which is a rather big sum for me.

3) For the registration of company etc. Is it recommendable to pass this to other company to help me settle it or it's actually pretty easy and can be done myself? If yes could you recommend me some reliable as well as cost efficient ones.

4) What kind of pass should I be applying seeing how I won't be residing in Singapore, I'll most probably be in Singapore around 20 days max per month. Can I go over 20 days (back and through daily) without any pass and just using passport?

Hope you guys can help me out..

Kind regards,
Josh

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Mon, 21 Sep 2009 6:51 pm

*scratch* i don't know about magazines... or anything about what you're doing... but i get the impression that any sort of publication in singapore is strictly controlled.

singaporean and licenses/registrations aside, i'm sure there're bonds you've got to post for "good behavior" in case you print something inflammatory and then get hauled to court...

i don't think it's difficult or expensive to set up a singapore company, but it might be difficult to successfully set up a company (anywhere) to publish and distribute a periodical in singapore.

i hope your magazine takes off. good luck!

jpatokal

Re: Malaysian incorporating a Private Limited in Singapore

Post by jpatokal » Mon, 21 Sep 2009 7:25 pm

As taxico already noted, Singapore takes a pretty dim view of any publications being passed out for free, although it can't be impossibly difficult as there are quite a few free mags out there already.
Josh718 wrote:1) For the nominee director, can I use my aunt who is a Singaporean for it? She's over 55 years old.
Yes. Of course she will have a degree of control over the company and also will be legally liable.
2) If for some reason she doesn't want to do it, I would need to have a third party company for the nominee director - Is there a more cost efficient way around this because the last I check the price (refundable right?) is around $2000 to $2500 range which is a rather big sum for me.
Refundable!? Of course not -- the job entail real legal liability.
3) For the registration of company etc. Is it recommendable to pass this to other company to help me settle it or it's actually pretty easy and can be done myself? If yes could you recommend me some reliable as well as cost efficient ones.
It's reasonably straightforward to do it yourself.
4) What kind of pass should I be applying seeing how I won't be residing in Singapore, I'll most probably be in Singapore around 20 days max per month. Can I go over 20 days (back and through daily) without any pass and just using passport?
You might be able to swing a long-term social visit pass through your relatives, but your business won't get you any pass at all until it starts demonstrating real revenue.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague