Singapore Expats

PR rejected :(

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
bluesky12

PR rejected :(

Post by bluesky12 » Sat, 19 Sep 2009 1:16 pm

Hi everyone out there.

I'm 24 this year, male currently on Q1 EP. I have stayed in Sg for almost 6 years(i did a degree in a private school for 4 years).

I went back my hometown 6 mths(to settle my family issues). I came back sg last Nov and got a job. I applied for PR after 4 months of working and got rejected. They state the reasons are changes in residential address and financial stability. The letter says I can re-submit in 2 years time =( =( =(

This is a discouraging news for me. I was hoping I can propose my gf within next year. This definitely has screwed up that plan...

I can't tell you exact details but my employment journey in Sg has not been very smooth. This is why I'm in a great fear of having to part with my gf if my current employment turns sour. Super sad ....

Do I have to wait for 2 years before resubmitting ? I went back my hometown for 6 months that's why it was rejected?

By the way, is there gonna be lots of troubles to marry local girl if i don't have PR? (my girl is local currently working in same industry). I heard many of SG men marrying foreign wife but seldom the way around.

It seems that this country does not welcome me to stay.
I wish you could your views and point me a direction as I'm not sure what to do next. Any thoughts/comments appreciated. Please advise. Thank you.

(sorry to have posted this in another thread)

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Re: PR rejected :(

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Sat, 19 Sep 2009 2:35 pm

You don't need to be a PR to marry a Singaporean even in Singapore, not to mention if you'd get married somewhere else, like in your home country. Many have done it before including myself.

Check: http://app.rom.gov.sg/internet/reg_info ... ration.asp

I think you're a bit overreacting. You got a job, you got your EP, so you are welcomed to stay and work Singapore. So continue your work, propose your girlfriend, get married and apply for a PR again later.
2 years is a short time i human life.

bluesky12

Post by bluesky12 » Sat, 19 Sep 2009 5:00 pm

Thank you for your response.

The reason I dare not propose to her before i get PR because I feel insecured with my job.

It is easy to get long term visit pass if i lose my job? say if my spouse is Singaporean/PR ?

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Sun, 20 Sep 2009 1:13 pm

Ask yourself a question; is she marrying you or your job?

irvine
Chatter
Chatter

Post by irvine » Tue, 22 Sep 2009 4:30 pm

I understand your concern and eagerness in getting a PR. After all, only as a PR coupled with another PR or Citizen could you buy a HDB flat. And there's the sense of stability as a resident in this country.

However, don't let this frustrate you further. What can you do simultaneously to achieve the common goal of proposal/wedding + PR?

In my humble opinion, getting a PR (with a Q1 and proper qualifications) is easier than the journey toward planning and preparing for a marriage. :)

donkuok

Post by donkuok » Thu, 24 Sep 2009 3:00 pm

You are still young at 24....don't plan for marriage because of PR.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 24 Sep 2009 10:16 pm

One must remember that in Singapore, most marriages are marriages of convenience. Most only marry in order to get that first flat using all of the Government Subsidies. The divorce rates here since I arrived are now getting up towards the western norms. This is inline with the quest for the elusive 5C's. They need the HDB flat with the ability to pay for it using their combined CPF contributions so that they can sell it at a profit in a couple of years (5 now I believe) so it will go a long way towards the down payment of that 1 "C"! The "C"ondo! :wink:

Remember, the normal "Proposal" is "Let's Apply for an HDB Flat!" :)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter

Post by econoMIC » Fri, 25 Sep 2009 4:15 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:One must remember that in Singapore, most marriages are marriages of convenience. Most only marry in order to get that first flat using all of the Government Subsidies. The divorce rates here since I arrived are now getting up towards the western norms. This is inline with the quest for the elusive 5C's. They need the HDB flat with the ability to pay for it using their combined CPF contributions so that they can sell it at a profit in a couple of years (5 now I believe) so it will go a long way towards the down payment of that 1 "C"! The "C"ondo! :wink:

Remember, the normal "Proposal" is "Let's Apply for an HDB Flat!" :)
Correct. I remember what my in laws told us when we told them we were getting married. They said:"No lah, you register first... then later get married."

Of course in Singaporeans pleasant state of denial they do not realise that "registering first" is a full legal marriage with all its legal obligations and if you break up later and get divorced one can end up having financial obligations to the other. But of course screw the actually being married part. As long as you didn't have a dinner with them relatives you are of course not married, stupid me. hehe

Three years down the road we still "only" registered and never had the dinner and I am not planning to have that as the wife doesn't want it. I wonder when it dawns on my in laws that we are actually fully married. Maybe when we have our first child? :wink:
a.k.a. littlegreenman

SmartDude

Post by SmartDude » Thu, 01 Oct 2009 3:23 pm

I am here in singapore for almost 2 yrs and I also got the same rejection letter stating i can resubmit in 2 yrs time and they look into change in residential period, financial stability and conduct.
Whereas few of my frens also got rejection letter but on their letter its stated they can resubmit in 6months time.

What could be the reason for me that they ask me to resubmit in 2yrs time ?

econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter

Post by econoMIC » Thu, 01 Oct 2009 4:21 pm

They want to test whether you are just panicking right now and dashing for PR as you are afraid of losing your job like everybody else currently or whether you want to stay in the long run.

Think about it, many other developed countries only allow you to apply for PR/Indefinite Leave to Remain after four to five years of residency. Given that you have lived in Singapore for 2 years already that would make it 4. I do believe though that your chances should be good then if they told you to re-apply in two years.
a.k.a. littlegreenman

SmartDude

Post by SmartDude » Thu, 01 Oct 2009 4:34 pm

econoMIC wrote:They want to test whether you are just panicking right now and dashing for PR as you are afraid of losing your job like everybody else currently or whether you want to stay in the long run.

Think about it, many other developed countries only allow you to apply for PR/Indefinite Leave to Remain after four to five years of residency. Given that you have lived in Singapore for 2 years already that would make it 4. I do believe though that your chances should be good then if they told you to re-apply in two years.
Thank you for the tips and encouragement, i do appreciate your view on this. Thanks

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Thu, 01 Oct 2009 4:44 pm

This is a quote from a local economist on the subject "Foreign Population Growth Slow Down"

"It's not unexpected.... These people could have become PR to stay in Singapore or Asia to look for jobs. They are using Singapore as a launching pad"

This was a comment made about the decrease in PRs being granted this year compared to the large increases over the last few years.

Looks like the Government have realised the main reason for people trying to become PR.

econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter

Post by econoMIC » Fri, 02 Oct 2009 5:24 am

SmartDude wrote:I am here in singapore for almost 2 yrs and I also got the same rejection letter stating i can resubmit in 2 yrs time and they look into change in residential period, financial stability and conduct.
Whereas few of my frens also got rejection letter but on their letter its stated they can resubmit in 6months time.

What could be the reason for me that they ask me to resubmit in 2yrs time ?
Your friends have been in Singapore longer than you, or they score higher than you based on race, education, income, family... as the ICA scoring system is not known we can only guess.
a.k.a. littlegreenman

SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter

Post by SGBoyxxx » Fri, 09 Oct 2009 2:11 pm

Saint wrote:This is a quote from a local economist on the subject "Foreign Population Growth Slow Down"

"It's not unexpected.... These people could have become PR to stay in Singapore or Asia to look for jobs. They are using Singapore as a launching pad"

This was a comment made about the decrease in PRs being granted this year compared to the large increases over the last few years.

Looks like the Government have realised the main reason for people trying to become PR.
Ya I have to agreed .
I do noticed many are just using singapore as a stepping stone.

Some china folks come to singapore is to gain some experiences .
Next they will go to states or other european countries.

nona_nona

Post by nona_nona » Sat, 10 Oct 2009 9:08 pm

I don't know if i missed it or not but, did you apply through an agent?
I was back in my home country on 2007 when I applied for Sing PR, and it took me only 3 months when I got the approval. A lot of people actually got surprised as to how I was granted a PR before I even landed a job in Sing. I haven't even worked before, spent 2 years jobless after my graduation.
But you know, there's good and bad thing about being a PR. It's bad that u havta pay cpf, but its easier if you need to change jobs.

And like someone mentioned before...u don't need a PR to get married...