Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 12 Sep 2009 8:14 am

Blade wrote:err, this is a low margin business there is a big diff between 71.6% and 80%.
Exactly the point. The A380's are flying profitably, the others are not. That is why 11 percent SQ airplanes are in storage or sold.

sstan123
Regular
Regular

Post by sstan123 » Wed, 30 Sep 2009 8:07 am

hmmm...been quiet here. SIA should be recruiting again either in Dec or early next year,so I was told.That's good news for us here isn't it?

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 30 Sep 2009 8:23 am

sstan123 wrote:hmmm...been quiet here. SIA should be recruiting again either in Dec or early next year,so I was told.That's good news for us here isn't it?
Who told you that? 11 percent of SQ's fleet has been withdrawn from service and it has delayed deliveries on more A380's because there are no passengers to put in them.

sstan123
Regular
Regular

Post by sstan123 » Wed, 30 Sep 2009 8:42 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
sstan123 wrote:hmmm...been quiet here. SIA should be recruiting again either in Dec or early next year,so I was told.That's good news for us here isn't it?
Who told you that? 11 percent of SQ's fleet has been withdrawn from service and it has delayed deliveries on more A380's because there are no passengers to put in them.
I may be wrong but let's wait and see. It will be good for this forum as well as the wannabe and myself. I have not conduct any talks for almost a year now :cry:

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 30 Sep 2009 9:03 am

sstan123 wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
I may be wrong but let's wait and see. It will be good for this forum as well as the wannabe and myself. I have not conduct any talks for almost a year now :cry:
What's good about spreading unconfirmed hiring rumors? The reality is that SQ, the world's largest airline, and the leader in premium services is taking a serious loss, and it won't get better for quite some time. In that environment, it is hard to see how they would be hiring when they have a lot of trained, retrenched staff that could be brought back on board.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/travel/ ... -fajx.html

So, if you have 'heard' to the contrary then you really should cite your source so that it can be confirmed. Confirmation would be good news.

sstan123
Regular
Regular

Post by sstan123 » Wed, 30 Sep 2009 9:12 am

What's good about spreading unconfirmed hiring rumors? The reality is that SQ, the world's largest airline, and the leader in premium services is taking a serious loss, and it won't get better for quite some time. In that environment, it is hard to see how they would be hiring when they have a lot of trained, retrenched staff that could be brought back on board.

Itis not a rumour but it's my gut feel.Like I've said I may be wrong. Looking at the current SIA share,it is going up and up (S$13.60 as I am typing)and the qrt after the loss,SIA is profitable again. FYI,SIA did not retrench any staff.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 30 Sep 2009 9:41 am

sstan123 wrote:FYI,SIA did not retrench any staff.
You are technically correct. What they did do is force unpaid leave (for up to 2 years - if that isn't the same as retrenchment, what is?), reduced working hours, and pay cuts in lieu of layoffs. Face it, when you mothball 11 percent of your fleet, you've got to have a staff reduction.

"SIA on Thursday posted its first quarterly loss in six years and warned it could report a loss for the financial year ending March 2010 if tough conditions continued." And it looks like the tough conditions will continue.

'Nuff said.

sstan123
Regular
Regular

Post by sstan123 » Wed, 30 Sep 2009 2:49 pm

Strong Eagle,SIA did not "forced unpaid leave" on its employee. SIA also did not retrenched its staff this time. Staff went on unpaid leave voluntarily. Get your facts right.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Wed, 30 Sep 2009 3:15 pm

sstan123 wrote:Strong Eagle,SIA did not "forced unpaid leave" on its employee. SIA also did not retrenched its staff this time. Staff went on unpaid leave voluntarily. Get your facts right.
Forced or voluntary it amounts much to the same thing; if staff had not agreed to take voluntary leave then that would have resulted in retrenchments. I don't have the source but I do remember reading SIA had 'mothballed' 17 aircraft. For comparison BA pilots have taken a paycut and its' own cabin crew are taking extended leave here in the UK. An increased share price does not mean the airline will suddenly be back to where it was before the recession. One way to increase shares in most companies is to reduce the wages bill (this is usually the most expensive part of any company but not airlines where fuel is dearer). The money that would have been payed in wages is then payed out in dividends to share holders. The aircraft that have been put out of service have reduced the required fuel.

Things may not be as simple as I have outlined here but hopefully you can see how companies balance the books so to speak. Hope this clarifies things a little.
Last edited by Plavt on Wed, 30 Sep 2009 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Wed, 30 Sep 2009 3:20 pm

This may be useful (a little dated);

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/bu ... 18,00.html

EmptyHope

Post by EmptyHope » Wed, 30 Sep 2009 8:41 pm

as other budget airline is recruiting nowadays ... let's give high hopes for Singapore Airlines next recruitmenttt... yiihaaaa ^^

Paramore

Post by Paramore » Wed, 30 Sep 2009 10:32 pm

If my o level eng i get a D7 but I have a Diploma, is it possible to apply?
Everything Happen For A Reason

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 01 Oct 2009 4:13 pm

EmptyHope wrote:as other budget airline is recruiting nowadays ... let's give high hopes for Singapore Airlines next recruitmenttt... yiihaaaa ^^
The budget airlines are recruiting because people like me are flying cheap airlines where they used to fly full service airlines. SQ is the top 'premium' airline and they are really hurting for premium customers.

Air Asia wants a bit more than $200 to fly to BKK with baggage and reserved seat... SQ wants more than $400. Any comparison for a two hour flight?

Don't hold your breath.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 01 Oct 2009 4:16 pm

sstan123 wrote:Strong Eagle,SIA did not "forced unpaid leave" on its employee. SIA also did not retrenched its staff this time. Staff went on unpaid leave voluntarily. Get your facts right.
Well, dream on. You want to bet some money as to when SQ will next recruit again?

I prefer reality. Whether voluntary or not, there has been a large staff reduction because there has been a large aircraft and flight reduction.

So, tell me again why SQ would recruit when they have all these furloughed people, voluntary or not?

EmptyHope

Post by EmptyHope » Fri, 02 Oct 2009 1:08 pm

*sigh
T_T

my previous flight with A380 frm Sg to Syd was full and so did the return flight ...
hope that everybody like me keep flying with SQ ^^

hey strong eagle ... try A380 .. sure you will love it though you pay double ..
*wink