Singapore Expats

Price of Supermarket food

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Zeenit » Tue, 12 May 2009 9:29 am

Tammy138 wrote:Thank you everyone...this is really helpful. If I do a mass shopping spree on non food items like toilet paper, cleaning agents etc..does the supermarkets do delivery? and do you need to tip the driver?
Carrefour delivers for free over $150.00
Giant over delivers for free over $100.00
NTUC online delivers for $8.00
The Market Place in Tanglin Mall delivers everything but ice cream..........so all perishables.
Coldstorage free delivery over $150.00

Anything under these values you pay a small charge. But well worth the price as you would still need a taxi and 6 arms.
Hope this helps.
Zeenit

quidsin
Regular
Regular

Post by quidsin » Tue, 12 May 2009 9:58 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The two that will save you the most money are NTUC (Co-op) and Sheng Siong. These two cater to the vast majority of Singaporeans and foreigners here that are not on "expat" packages. They have lots of imported foods but do cater to local tastes primarily. They average around 25% cheaper than the first three named.

sms
I'm not an expat package but I refuse to buy produce from NTUC and SS purely becuase their produce is cheap, sub-standard trollop. I therefore shop in the more upmarket places mentioned to get the right quality. Yes, Cold storage is much more expensive and it hurts the pocket each week but I'd rather eat food I can taste and enjoy rather than eat rubbish which all tastes the same.

You get what you pay for as they say.

Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Zeenit » Tue, 12 May 2009 10:55 pm

quidsin wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:The two that will save you the most money are NTUC (Co-op) and Sheng Siong. These two cater to the vast majority of Singaporeans and foreigners here that are not on "expat" packages. They have lots of imported foods but do cater to local tastes primarily. They average around 25% cheaper than the first three named.

sms
I'm not an expat package but I refuse to buy produce from NTUC and SS purely becuase their produce is cheap, sub-standard trollop. I therefore shop in the more upmarket places mentioned to get the right quality. Yes, Cold storage is much more expensive and it hurts the pocket each week but I'd rather eat food I can taste and enjoy rather than eat rubbish which all tastes the same.

I am so glad I don't taste my toilet paper. Toilet paper bought at Coldstorage or NTUC is the same brand but not the same price. I refuse to "SHOP" at an expat price just because its COOL.
Nothing more to say on the subject :lol: :twisted:
Zeenit

quidsin
Regular
Regular

Post by quidsin » Wed, 13 May 2009 9:47 pm

Zeenit wrote:
quidsin wrote:

sms

I am so glad I don't taste my toilet paper. Toilet paper bought at Coldstorage or NTUC is the same brand but not the same price. I refuse to "SHOP" at an expat price just because its COOL.
Nothing more to say on the subject :lol: :twisted:
If you read my post properly, you'll notice I said produce...this doesn't include toilet paper I'm afraid

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 13 May 2009 10:42 pm

And most of the produce also come from the same sources as well, a Dole or Delmonte Banana or pineapple is the same at either one. Same as the airflown beef/pork, Kellogs cereals, Post cereals, and fresh seafoods come from the same ports here as well. But, it's okay if you spend your money in the thought that you are getting "more" or "better" for your money.

You keep believing that. Cold Storage and Jason's & Tierney's depend on your type to keep them rolling in cash. They're laughing all the way to the bank. What was it P.T. Barnum or someone else said? Something about one being born every minute? Or was that, you can fool some of the people some of the time and "some of the people all of the time"...... :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

quidsin
Regular
Regular

Post by quidsin » Thu, 14 May 2009 10:52 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote: You keep believing that. Cold Storage and Jason's & Tierney's depend on your type to keep them rolling in cash. [/i]"...... :wink:
what 'type' is that then SMS ?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 14 May 2009 11:58 am

This type:
I refuse to buy produce from NTUC and SS purely becuase their produce is cheap, sub-standard trollop.

:)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

quidsin
Regular
Regular

Post by quidsin » Thu, 14 May 2009 1:01 pm

I don't think that answers the question. So I'll ask it again...this time, try and give me an answer to the statement you've made or alternatively retract it.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 14 May 2009 1:33 pm

Well, if you are having a reading comprehension problem (I often do - like now, be damned if I can figure out where you are coming from) I'll try it a little be differently.

Jason's & Cold Storage don't get my money, matter of fact they don't get probably 80% or more of the populations money because the rest of us know that the produce is the same for all intents and purposes. Therefore, they (the overpriced supermarkets) don't go laughing to the bank with our money. Only the money of the misinformed or stubborn.

So, it has taken 3 times as many words to say what has already been said. It's okay though, I'm sure they appreciate your patronage. :-|

quidsin
Regular
Regular

Post by quidsin » Thu, 14 May 2009 1:56 pm

you have referred to me as a 'type' so pls expand on which 'type' in particular you are referring to?

rebeccacious
Regular
Regular

Post by rebeccacious » Tue, 01 Sep 2009 1:59 am

Been looking high and low for parma ham! Anyone knows where they sell them??

Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Zeenit » Tue, 01 Sep 2009 9:02 am

Try calling Jones the Grocer http://www.jonesthegrocer.com
they might have it. But as I dont eat it I wont know for certain.

Good Luck. :D
Zeenit

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Tue, 01 Sep 2009 1:53 pm

Marketplace at Tanglin (B1) - but ask them to layer the slices between paper if possible... it's so humid here the slices will rip when they just stagger them. (If they don't layer the slices you can also freeze a bit before using and easier to separate.)