Singapore Expats

Question - Living Expenses

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 28 Aug 2009 1:07 am

Newbie09 wrote: :shock: How is an Irish person supposed to survive ha ha ha :cool:
You need to talk to "addadude"!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Fri, 28 Aug 2009 9:53 am

Newbie09 wrote:Thanks a lot for that AndyD, that’s a really good idea :D Best of both worlds...

Does 5 beers really cost close to $60 though…. :shock: How is an Irish person supposed to survive ha ha ha :cool:
Depends on your choice of beer and where you buy it -- join the uncles at the hawker centres and that'll get you 10!
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

AndyD
Regular
Regular

Post by AndyD » Fri, 28 Aug 2009 9:57 am

jpatokal wrote:uncles
I have heard this now a few times – is this a term just used to refer to “elders”

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 28 Aug 2009 10:34 am

More of a generic/affectionat term for older/old person (and the other is "Aunties"). Youths normally refer to any elder as "Uncle" even though there is not relationship there. Can sometimes be derogatory as in old fashioned but mostly it's an honorific.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

irvine
Chatter
Chatter

Post by irvine » Mon, 31 Aug 2009 9:39 am

$60 is good if you're spending it alone, or an occassional date.

The good thing about eating and going out in Singapore, is that you could spend very little and still have a lot of fun. Or spend a lot, and also have a lot of fun.