Singapore Expats

anyone using interactive brokres(IB)here?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
tomyin

anyone using interactive brokres(IB)here?

Post by tomyin » Thu, 13 Aug 2009 12:14 pm

I am having connection problem these 2 days, market data on and off almost every munite,impossible for trading.
I talked to IB support, was told that is a known issue caused by singtel internet routing problem. I think it may be the case 'cause now I got 30-40% chance to see "resolving host...." when I open a webpage.

just want to know anyone who use IB here has same the problem.

jake.b

Post by jake.b » Thu, 13 Aug 2009 3:50 pm

Our internet at the office has been horribly slow the past 2 days. I overheard there were some problems with Singtel.

I have an IB account but I only trade US markets in the evenings after work. I take it you trade OZ and SG equities?

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Thu, 13 Aug 2009 4:07 pm

You might have read about a small typhoon that hit Taiwan a couple of days ago?!

Well it damaged the submarine cables in that area and these cables transport the entire internet traffic between Asia and the US. It's going to be slow for a while

tomyin

Post by tomyin » Fri, 14 Aug 2009 10:17 am

jake.b wrote:Our internet at the office has been horribly slow the past 2 days. I overheard there were some problems with Singtel.

I have an IB account but I only trade US markets in the evenings after work. I take it you trade OZ and SG equities?
I trade US and HK futures options mostly,IB is great at it. It improved today but futures data still intermittent.

melodyQ

Post by melodyQ » Fri, 14 Aug 2009 8:58 pm

Hi there,
I trade in HK stocks and the live market data is working fine. Dont have any problems at all, trading as usual.
My internet is through starhub not singtel.

tomyin

Post by tomyin » Mon, 17 Aug 2009 10:35 pm

hello melodyQ and jake.b,
could you please help me by trying to access the US futures data, the data I am receiving is on and off every 10 seconds now. I am sure the problem is not at IB and the live stock data working fine.
of cause you have to already subscribed to US market data plan, if you can please try to add "CL" crude to see if you can get a stable data.

Vincent Mothballs

General question about "Spreadbetting"

Post by Vincent Mothballs » Sat, 29 Aug 2009 8:35 pm

I am not up-to-date with the gambling laws of SG, but I was just wondering whether spreadbetting using a UK-based account (such as IGIndex) was permitted whilst in SG. i.e. if on holiday in SG, one was to spreadbet FTSE, Dow, Oil, etc. At the end of the day, it is still gambling.