Singapore Expats

Why are girls here so thin?

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
applejooze

Post by applejooze » Thu, 25 Jun 2009 2:09 pm

No thanks to the myriad slimming ads here, being thin is desirable.

I'd go for health and happiness anytime, whatever shape you're in. Oh, and curves in all the right places are known to make it easier on the eyes. :D

enginette
Regular
Regular

Post by enginette » Mon, 29 Jun 2009 1:30 am

I was in China recently and they are super skinny there too, both men and women. They just have a completely different lifestyle to the west, and food is a big part of it. Steamed rice and stir fried veges isn't gonna make you fat. Also asian sweets are pretty rubbish compared to western cakes and chocolate..mmm.

What I've noticed in Singapore though is that the young people are pretty good with their weight but a lot of the older people (e.g. the aunties!) pile it on in the later years when they're not so active. I guess the youngan's are trying to keep up with the trends and ensure they can always fit into the tiny size clothes they sell here.
DD

Special Girl

Losing weight on carbs

Post by Special Girl » Sat, 04 Jul 2009 10:52 am

since being here in sg, i have lost 6 kilos without trying. I have gone to the gym in the last 5 months about twice a month.

for me i believe its the humidity; the weather out here. it has reduced my appetite heaps.

back in australia, during the winter,k all i wanted to do was eat, but here there is NO winter, so my body doesnt want to eat as much, to insulate for warmth.

AND the biggest bounus is i can eat white rice everyday if i want (not fried rice) and i dont gain weight. although it may also be my genetic background as i also have indian culture, buti also have french and mongolian genetics, so go figure.
the thing that puts on weight for me too much is bread, esp. bread with butter. so i steer well clear of that.
my stomach is now flat. i wear a bikini without feeling one bit self conscious.
just awesome!

i dont like the humidity, but for losing weight, i love it!

whim

Post by whim » Wed, 08 Jul 2009 2:39 pm

My personal peeve is when thin (to my eyes) girls tell me they need to lose weight. I go "from where? underneath your fingernails?" Some of them are already so tiny, I honestly don't see where they can lose the weight.

For me, I'm more concerned about how to channel the fats from my tummy upwards (towards my bust), and the only way to do that is to exercise.

Those skinny girls are also the same ones who have to shop in the kids department overseas. I remember a colleague coming back from NY and telling me that she was basically a freak in the clothing store coz she couldn't even fit into a size zero. The salesperson said "you're smaller than zero!"

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 08 Jul 2009 3:34 pm

whim wrote:For me, I'm more concerned about how to channel the fats from my tummy upwards (towards my bust), and the only way to do that is to exercise.
Yeah? I'd like to see that seeing you cannot do anything short of surgery to increase your bust size more than half a cup size during TOM or taking some drug that will cause inflammation thereby seeming larger until you stop. Sure would like to know who filled you with such pure unadulterated garbage. As the mammary glands are made up of fatty tissue and not muscle tissue I am afraid all the exercise will not change the size of your bust. It will grow the underlying muscle tissue the the breasts sit on but your breast size will remain the same (or possibly shrink) :roll:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

joanne.lee

Post by joanne.lee » Thu, 09 Jul 2009 1:03 am

i am also a porker, hehe
hi there. i am Joanne :)

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Thu, 09 Jul 2009 2:18 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
whim wrote:For me, I'm more concerned about how to channel the fats from my tummy upwards (towards my bust), and the only way to do that is to exercise.
Yeah? I'd like to see that seeing you cannot do anything short of surgery to increase your bust size more than half a cup size during TOM or taking some drug that will cause inflammation thereby seeming larger until you stop.
Actually the interesting thing is that through natural hormone manipulation (childbirth etc), women do indeed shift fat from one part of their body to another - usually from stomach to hips, butt and thighs and vice versa. In theory scientists may well be able to one day figure out a hormone combination that will shift fat from those troublesome areas to the breasts. And the scientist who cracks that will be a very wealthy man indeed... Bill Gates and Warren Buffet will be poor by comparison!
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

jen677

Post by jen677 » Fri, 21 Aug 2009 10:42 pm

where got slim. ha ha

KZW

Re: Why are girls here so thin?

Post by KZW » Sat, 22 Aug 2009 12:05 am

Tammy138 wrote:Hi All,

I just arrived in Singapore, but I can't help not notice how slim the girls are here. They are so thin, they look like then might snap any minute. Are they meant to be that thin or just a fashion thing here so they don't eat? I can't help not feeling really self consciouos and fat being here.
OMG... i never felt this big in my life .. not until I moved her... i was perfectly happy with my body before.. now i started to wonder if i should really need to lose some weight to seem OK here .. not good at all!

feline.eyes
Chatter
Chatter
Location: Don't count on me little post-its. I am now the infrequent-er.

Re: Why are girls here so thin?

Post by feline.eyes » Sun, 23 Aug 2009 6:01 am

jpatokal wrote: Go visit Thailand, and Singaporeans will start to look positively obese in comparison :shock:

It's half genes and half eating habits, I suspect. The local chow isn't particularly healthy, but the portions tend to be a lot smaller than the feeding troughs you get in the US, and there's less meat, heavy dairy products, etc.
That.

Plus trends. Societal pressure speaks for any community/nation. People will try to conform consciously, and unconsciously. If a size 8 is considered normal around you, you have less incentive to be a 12.

And regarding the eating habits, food here isn't exactly healthy but people do generally reign it in. People don't watch their diet as much and eat whatever they want but kind of keep in mind that they aren't food you can just chug it down. So you eat one roti prata instead of 5, and you try not to have it 5 days a week.

feline.eyes
Chatter
Chatter
Location: Don't count on me little post-its. I am now the infrequent-er.

Re: Losing weight on carbs

Post by feline.eyes » Sun, 23 Aug 2009 6:25 am

Special Girl wrote:since being here in sg, i have lost 6 kilos without trying. I have gone to the gym in the last 5 months about twice a month.

for me i believe its the humidity; the weather out here. it has reduced my appetite heaps.

back in australia, during the winter,k all i wanted to do was eat, but here there is NO winter, so my body doesnt want to eat as much, to insulate for warmth.

AND the biggest bounus is i can eat white rice everyday if i want (not fried rice) and i dont gain weight. although it may also be my genetic background as i also have indian culture, buti also have french and mongolian genetics, so go figure.
the thing that puts on weight for me too much is bread, esp. bread with butter. so i steer well clear of that.
my stomach is now flat. i wear a bikini without feeling one bit self conscious.
just awesome!

i dont like the humidity, but for losing weight, i love it!
And totally that too. It is hard to overeat in this heat (at least for some people, including me).

Seriously, appetite where? Left it in some god forsaken cold crevice.

Russell.Gomes

Post by Russell.Gomes » Mon, 24 Aug 2009 11:51 pm

it's mainly because of their diet and school activities that promote a healthy lifestyle, and overweight kids usually get made fun of. and also the weather. but remember not all girls with nice bodies have pretty faces! haha.

ranmakit

Post by ranmakit » Tue, 25 Aug 2009 11:58 am

lol Russell,

I agree with you on that last part of your post :P

But i do have a friend who describes herself as a "bottomless pit", eating far more than an average local girl but still can't put on weight. So maybe genes do play a factor.

PricillaQueen

Post by PricillaQueen » Mon, 31 Aug 2009 7:13 pm

you should see the taiwanese girls i think they are even thinner -_-"

trudywee

Post by trudywee » Tue, 01 Sep 2009 6:59 am

I think korean are slim as well