Singapore Expats

what do I do if my jacekt got stolen in the office

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
hiromice
Regular
Regular

what do I do if my jacekt got stolen in the office

Post by hiromice » Wed, 19 Aug 2009 12:27 pm

My business suit got stolen in the office in Singapore :-| , should I keep it to myself?

Or let someone in the office know?

I am foreign and new to the office, my boss is a VP, so whom should I report to about the theft?
what do they normally do after I report the case?

Please advice.
:-|

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 19 Aug 2009 12:36 pm

I'd start by reporting it to your boss.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

dazzlebabe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by dazzlebabe » Wed, 19 Aug 2009 4:19 pm

This is the first. I heard of pens and staplers being stolen (MINE!) but never a jacket. I once worked for a big international firm (350 people in one office) and left shawls, branded shoes and even my mobile phone on my desk once and never had anything besides a few pens taken from my holder.

Depending on the size of your office, I would encourage you to ask your immediate colleagues and even the cleaning lady if anyone might have "accidentally" taken the jacket/mistaking it as theirs or to the cleaning staff as disposal item.

If in a few days no one has owned up, then let your boss and HR know that a theft has happened so they can record it.

Are there any cameras in the office? Lots of offices here have them, from what I see.

Good Luck and hope you find it!
Just me

DazzleBabe

hiromice
Regular
Regular

Post by hiromice » Wed, 19 Aug 2009 6:53 pm

Thank you guys for the input!

The first day I found it's missing from my chair, I didn't say anything. I went back home looked for it...it wasn't home either so I am very sure it got stolen in the office.

I talked to a coworker today, she said it is hard to imagine someone would steal it...

I will ask a few more people, but according to the attitude that "Asians" have here, ( I feel they are cold), I don't know if that's the best way to do.

Is there anything I need to be aware of before I go to HR or upper level? (considering it is a different culture and there is OBVIOUS hierarchy in the office).

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Wed, 19 Aug 2009 8:20 pm

hiromice wrote: I will ask a few more people, but according to the attitude that "Asians" have here, ( I feel they are cold), I don't know if that's the best way to do.

Is there anything I need to be aware of before I go to HR or upper level? (considering it is a different culture and there is OBVIOUS hierarchy in the office).
If you think Asians are cold then why do you write funny? You're Asian aren't you?

Just go and report it if it is important to you, who cares about the OBVIOUS hierarchy . . . that clearly doesn't exist in your homeland.

Hey aren't you the guy from China who asked why it was so quiet in your Singapore office while you were in Jakarta . . . or something to that effect?

'nuff said Image

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Wed, 19 Aug 2009 8:29 pm

what would you do in your own home country?

hiromice
Regular
Regular

Post by hiromice » Wed, 19 Aug 2009 9:12 pm

It has never happened to me in the US.

I don't want to make them ( HR, Upper level) feel bad about the theft in the office, that's all...( I was told "face" is important in Asia).

To Vaucluse,

please stop being rude, I have clearly explained to the Mods regarding the location/IP issues. I will not do any more explaination here.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Wed, 19 Aug 2009 9:34 pm

theft is theft, whether to save face or not. you should report it as the office should be aware there's a thief amount their staff.

p/s never happened to me in singapore.

hiromice
Regular
Regular

Post by hiromice » Wed, 19 Aug 2009 9:41 pm

Never happened in my life ( no matter where it has been)...

The local said " go buy another one lor." ( like you are from the US, so you shouldn't care about losing a piece of jacket).

Never imagine this kind of answer either... :-|

rattlesnake
Regular
Regular

Post by rattlesnake » Wed, 19 Aug 2009 9:44 pm

Personally I would send an email asking if anyone has seen your jacket and explaining that it was on the chair. I would avoid saying it was stolen etc - this is a pretty strong allegation. Leave it up to others to join the dots if they want. :) Don't embarrass yourself over a $50 suit jacket. :mrgreen:

You can have one of my jackets if you want, :mrgreen: I came here with 6 suits and now only wear the pants. :) BTW - if you want one of mine, I am massive with a huge chest and big guns so it might not fit. :mrgreen: Otherwise you can take your pants off and leave them on your chair overnight. Hide in a cupboard and see if anyone steals them to match their new jacket.
:mrgreen:

PS - some of my post is serious, some not so. To help, I put a Mr Smiley after the serious bit, and a Mr Green after the not so serious. Just in case.:)

hiromice
Regular
Regular

Post by hiromice » Wed, 19 Aug 2009 9:54 pm

:mrgreen:

I only brought one piece of jacket from the US, now I have to do shopping ( which I don't like) for another piece.

A-ya...(= when local says "sh*t") :P

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Wed, 19 Aug 2009 10:22 pm

hiromice wrote:
I have clearly explained to the Mods regarding the location/IP issues. I will not do any more explaination here.
( like you are from the US, so you shouldn't care about losing a piece of jacket).
Never imagine this kind of answer either... Neutral
I only brought one piece of jacket from the US
now I have to do shopping ( which I don't like) for another piece.
Ok, I give in, you must be a Yank, have fun shopping for your piece of jacket.

rattlesnake wrote:
BTW - if you want one of mine, I am massive with a huge chest and big guns
Is that the newest catchphrase for manboobs? :P

'nuff said Image

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Wed, 19 Aug 2009 10:27 pm

hiromice wrote: The first day I found it's missing from my chair, I didn't say anything. I went back home looked for it....
You mean you can't remember if you wore it to work or not? Good grief I have a better memory than than even with a bottle of wine inside me. :shock: Thank you as I don't feel so old now. :)

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Wed, 19 Aug 2009 10:33 pm

You sure you didn't leave it at OT??

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Wed, 19 Aug 2009 10:34 pm

Plavt wrote:
hiromice wrote: The first day I found it's missing from my chair, I didn't say anything. I went back home looked for it....
You mean you can't remember if you wore it to work or not? Good grief I have a better memory than than even with a bottle of wine inside me. :shock: Thank you as I don't feel so old now. :)
How may pieces of wine did you have?

And . . . for a rather long trip Hiromice only brought one piece of suit with him from the USA?

Whew, I hope he brought more pieces of underwear!

'nuff said Image