Singapore Expats

any IT geeks who can help??

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Tue, 18 Aug 2009 7:23 pm

Hi Megha,
I once had exactly the same problem on a training site I was using and am again using. In my case it was something to do with the hosting company although I don't remember the exact details. What I remember was this; one company took over another and as far as I could gather some information either wasn't or was improperly transferred. When I rang them I was directed to one company who directed me to another who then referred me to the original. :mad:

From what you have said I don't think it is spyware or a virus (although that's a possibility - antivirus programs are not always successful).

Best course of action: avoid re-formatting and re-installing for the moment (I did that and still had the same problems afterwards :mad: ).
Try to get hold of the admin of Orkut via another computer and tell them what happened maybe they can help (perhaps by providing a different link). Hope this helps.

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Wed, 19 Aug 2009 1:20 am

Before you even contemplate reinstalling windoze you need to find out what malware infection you have as some of them can sit in the MBR ( Master boot record) so a reinstall won;t help.
In which case you need to completley wipe and reformat the whole disk first. ( be aware that a proper wipe can taken many hours as 1' then 0's are written to each part of the disk)

Make sure you download the malwarebytes software as suggested and update it.
Malwarebytes is updated daily so i very much doubt you have an infection it can;t deal with
If the malware that infected your PC wont let you access the site or update you can also down load the updates on another computer and update yours it via a thumbdrive or CD.

OH and BTW dont post links to websites that probably contain the virus !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not a good idea.

Good luck

FREDH

Hosts file redirection

Post by FREDH » Wed, 19 Aug 2009 7:34 am

megha wrote:Thanks to all u people for helping..but i dont know...it still doesnt work!! Maybe I shd reinstall windows again..a suggestion by another frnd..what ya think??
Hosts file redirection is what this is doing via Spyware. I don’t think you have to WIPE the system. I ran across this on a compromised PC yesterday w/ lots of spyware, ad-ware and junk on it, I think I cleaned it all with using MalwareBytes, SpyBot S&D and A2. If you use these cleaners, turn off Windows System Restore first (Re-enable when yer done!).

Make sure your showing all files, Open Windows Explorer, go to tools, folders options, View TAB, Check button "Show Hidden Files and folders", UNCHECK Checkbox “Hide Protected Operating system files.”

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Wed, 19 Aug 2009 7:47 am

FREDH,
WTF? :shock: :shock: Are you trying to do the OP's brain in? No need to post all those links, your post would have all but the most computer savvy tecnician in a state of shock and without justification at that. :roll:

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 19 Aug 2009 8:12 am

Plavt wrote:FREDH,
WTF? :shock: :shock: Are you trying to do the OP's brain in? No need to post all those links, your post would have all but the most computer savvy tecnician in a state of shock and without justification at that. :roll:
Sometimes it can be difficult to remove spyware. The poster is correct.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Wed, 19 Aug 2009 8:34 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
Sometimes it can be difficult to remove spyware. The poster is correct.
All the same there is no need to post the links that way since most lead to the same site 'google' , plus the fact that much of what is posted is beyond the technical competence of an average user and would be better carried out by a qualified technician. You and I can follow what he/she means but many would be quite flumoxed by such directions.

As I said earlier and having experienced the same thing it is doubtful although not certain it is spyware so why go to all that trouble in the first place!?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 19 Aug 2009 9:06 am

Because it is easier and quicker and a lot less painful than reformatting and reinstalling windoze and all the rest? :?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Wed, 19 Aug 2009 9:16 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Because it is easier and quicker and a lot less painful than reformatting and reinstalling windoze and all the rest? :?.
I doubt it, if one has made a backup of the system from an earlier time. Although much depends on when that was and how many programs have since been added and whether the user still or has uses for them or not. As I said earlier; the Op needs to contact the admin to check things out before messing around with the computer.

FREDH

Post by FREDH » Wed, 19 Aug 2009 9:52 am

Nah, those directions are child's play, and ran into the same thing as Megha did. If an OP/EU (end user) of average ability follows the instructions, they can maybe do it. Besides, if the OPs/EUs go online for help and do not want to call in a "pro" to help them because they don't want to pay $; they're going to faced w/ some technical stuff, and we (I.T. ppl) can only do what we can do & post the info as best we know how [you can't always make technical things, UN-technical]. I'm not going to hold their hands either! (Well, in this case I was a 'lil bored I guess....the directions are too good). I'd rather be paid for my services. My good deed for the day.

megha
Reporter
Reporter

Post by megha » Wed, 19 Aug 2009 9:21 pm

Thanks everyone for ur help..FREDH...yes ur instructions were really good but unfortunately it still doesnt work...just one qs...when I copied the host file before deleting the other entries...the entries are still in the system so did i get that wrong???

And yes...sorry I dint call a technician and paid $$ coz it said there were errors and viruses....and since i am not that tech savvy...I bought online norton360 to fix it...paid arnd 60USD...and then dint feel like paying more just to start orkut & gmail as all other sites work fine..and thought of taking help online!! I was more curious than anxious to get my comp work orkut & gmail..

Once again thanks for taking the time to reply...
The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your own arm

FREDH

Post by FREDH » Thu, 20 Aug 2009 4:56 am

megha wrote:Thanks everyone for ur help..FREDH...yes ur instructions were really good but unfortunately it still doesnt work...just one qs...when I copied the host file before deleting the other entries...the entries are still in the system so did i get that wrong???

And yes...sorry I dint call a technician and paid $$ coz it said there were errors and viruses....and since i am not that tech savvy...I bought online norton360 to fix it...paid arnd 60USD...and then dint feel like paying more just to start orkut & gmail as all other sites work fine..and thought of taking help online!! I was more curious than anxious to get my comp work orkut & gmail..

OH DON'T BE SORRY! I just like being a cranky old tech!

If the entries are still there, yes, either:

1. You're doing something wrong.

2. There is still Malware ACTIVE in memory making changes to the hosts file.

3. You could still have polymorphic bugs (they change as they go to escape detection) on the system that are in Windows start up which are maybe changing the hosts file again.

4. Or the hosts file could be marked READ ONLY.

EVER use Hijack This? http://majorgeeks.com/HijackThis_d3155.html

javagee

Post by javagee » Mon, 07 Sep 2009 9:45 pm

FREDH wrote:
megha wrote:Thanks everyone for ur help..FREDH...yes ur instructions were really good but unfortunately it still doesnt work...just one qs...when I copied the host file before deleting the other entries...the entries are still in the system so did i get that wrong???

OH DON'T BE SORRY! I just like being a cranky old tech!

If the entries are still there, yes, either:

1. You're doing something wrong.

2. There is still Malware ACTIVE in memory making changes to the hosts file.

3. You could still have polymorphic bugs (they change as they go to escape detection) on the system that are in Windows start up which are maybe changing the hosts file again.

4. Or the hosts file could be marked READ ONLY.

EVER use Hijack This? http://majorgeeks.com/HijackThis_d3155.html

I been using HijackThis software to remove any spyware as the last resort. :D