Singapore Expats

CELTA or TESOL

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
chixchix
Editor
Editor

CELTA or TESOL

Post by chixchix » Sat, 21 Feb 2009 12:05 pm

HII all , I would like to do a programme that will allow me to teach English. However,I am quite confused whether to take CELTA or Diploma in Tesol.

I have contact ISC and they mentioned that their Diploma in TESOL is awarded by the LONDON TEACHER TRAINING COLLEGE and is internationally recognised.

Can someone provide some advise and feedback before I sign up ?

Thanks in advance :)
Always have a smile on that face!

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Sat, 21 Feb 2009 12:15 pm

Chix - FWIW in the voluntourism area, TESOL in generally preferred. Check out www.i-to-i.com as they have a section in their site which explains some of the different programs. HTH, Mr. P

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: CELTA or TESOL

Post by ksl » Sun, 22 Feb 2009 2:13 am

chixchix wrote:HII all , I would like to do a programme that will allow me to teach English. However,I am quite confused whether to take CELTA or Diploma in Tesol.

I have contact ISC and they mentioned that their Diploma in TESOL is awarded by the LONDON TEACHER TRAINING COLLEGE and is internationally recognised.

Can someone provide some advise and feedback before I sign up ?

Thanks in advance :)
ICS does not have an international baccalaureate program. Although it is an old post from 2006, so it may have changed.

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/su ... 04ed48a9ee

So you may find out the TESOL is not accepted, there are many private teaching units in Singapore selling this course, and are not legally authorised and at a much higher cost. I would stick with the British Council offer, if they still do it.

The TESOL was offered by Cambridge University, which is authorised and recognised. many are not! So do not take it for granted that the diploma will open any doors, if the teaching unit isn't registered to work under the authorisation of a valid university.

chixchix
Editor
Editor

Post by chixchix » Sun, 22 Feb 2009 10:38 am

oh ok . so how do I know if the London Teacher Training College is recognised or not ?

anyways ,British Council is offering only CELTA...

teachlinguistics

Indeed It Is Internationally Recognised!

Post by teachlinguistics » Tue, 03 Mar 2009 10:47 am

The fact that a college can be around for 25 years and that it has 50 over partner schools worldwide shows that its goodwill is firmly established. Also, I am aware that many TESOL graduates from the London Teacher Training College are currently teaching with private institutions like Kaplan Singapore and EASB Institute of Management. Some of them even managed to secure jobs in International Schools like Hwa Chong Int'l School and ACS Int'l School. It is also amazing that many of the former ITE trainers have upgraded themselves with the LTTC Diploma in TESOL and they are now WDA trainers for the Workplace Literacy course in several CETs.

The London Teacher Training College has been more recognised than before, especially when it is accredited by ASET, UK; and also it is now accepted for credit transfer to the Master of Science in Education (Major in TEFL) offers by the Nova Southeastern University, Florida, USA. However, it is stressed that anyone who wishes to pursue the MSc program must also have a first degree, which is a common requirement for any US university.

I am confident that LTTC Diploma in TESOL is internationally recognised. The only difference is how the local provider is delivering the program. A good provider will never compromise to standard and quality, such as, reducing the total training hours to anything lesser than 120 hours. I understand that any standard TESOL course according to international standard should be at least 120 hours or more. Otherwise, there will be problems pertaining to progression of studies later.

Also, I have checked with ISC Education Centre personally and know that they are a serious provider which they will provide enough hours for both theory and practicum. I also like the research component which the Professor in ISC has implemented and endorsed by LTTC. I am actually making an enquiry for my friend who is interested in the program. Because I have already done my Master of Education, I know that research is often promoted as a powerful form of professional development for teachers.

Good luck! :)

teachlinguistics

ISC is not ICS anyway

Post by teachlinguistics » Tue, 03 Mar 2009 1:53 pm

ISC Education Centre is not ICS - International Community School anyway. I think there is a confusion here.

I made a check on the background of ISC Education Centre and find that they are proper. They are MOE registered and also CASETrust accredited. Besides, they have very impressive school premises and facilities which also show that they are serious about business.

chixchix
Editor
Editor

Post by chixchix » Tue, 03 Mar 2009 3:35 pm

:) hey buddy ..thanks sooo much! Now I am certainly more interested to sign up for TESOL with ISC. I would be joining the next intake,I think, it will be on the 23 of this month.

Once again, thanks very much.

seasontea

Post by seasontea » Thu, 14 May 2009 1:55 pm

hi chix... been 2 mths since ur last post. hows sch in ISC?

am wondering... how do sch award the diploma in TESOL? is it exam based set by LTTC?

chixchix
Editor
Editor

Post by chixchix » Thu, 14 May 2009 9:56 pm

hii buddy :) hmm sad to say I havent embarked on starting the course yet due to some reasons but will be thinking of looking forward to the intakes in July.

nicholaswee1981

TESOL

Post by nicholaswee1981 » Sun, 16 Aug 2009 8:51 pm

You have been hesitating for a long time. If something is worrying you look at British Education Centre for the London Teacher Training College Diploma in TESOL.

You get native speaker trainers and you are in truly international classes. They really know how to support with library and other resources.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Mon, 17 Aug 2009 12:39 am

I think I smell something fishy with these one or two post from newbies and without a doubt you are safer with the BEC

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 17 Aug 2009 12:51 am

Yeah, smells just like vinegar don't it! :P :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Mon, 17 Aug 2009 2:45 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Yeah, smells just like vinegar don't it! :P :cool:
Good try :lol: :P, but this is a wise old fish!

calvink
Chatter
Chatter

Post by calvink » Thu, 27 Aug 2009 3:11 am

If it was awarded by The TESOL TRAINING CENTRE>..is this still internationally recognised and was registered with MOE singapore.... The course is offered in Msia...

Hmmm

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”