Singapore Expats

Reggae in Singapore?

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
bazodee

Reggae in Singapore?

Post by bazodee » Mon, 03 Sep 2007 11:50 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am new in Singapore and was wondering if there are any clubs that play reggae sets in Singapore?

I love Reggae and Soca and haven't heard any here....

Thanks...

zhoumulian

Post by zhoumulian » Tue, 04 Sep 2007 12:07 am

from what i've heard there's really no place like that here....so sad :cry:

alamaknasilemak

Re: Reggae in Singapore?

Post by alamaknasilemak » Tue, 04 Sep 2007 9:23 am

bazodee wrote:Hi Everyone,

I am new in Singapore and was wondering if there are any clubs that play reggae sets in Singapore?

I love Reggae and Soca and haven't heard any here....

Thanks...
Reggae does exist in Singapore. The Bushmen is one of the local reggae band. They were performing at the Hard Rock Cafe but since I've grown old and moved on beyond the clubbing scene, I'm not sure if they're still performing at the HRC.

Perhaps, you would like to give HRC a friendly tinker and try to find where the Bushmen are. They can be found on MySpace though.

www.myspace.com/bushmen

ChineyLimer

Post by ChineyLimer » Thu, 18 Oct 2007 7:25 pm

As far as I know, Bushmen still play at HRC on Sunday nights. It's usually a late crowd though, so you're looking at people coming in around midnight-ish. The band starts playing a little later too, I'd say 11-ish. They do a lot of covers and some originals. Actually, they're a pretty damn good band, but the line-up has changed since I last caught them live. At one stage I think they had a Trini lead singer!

Speaking of Trini.. Bazodee, if you happen to find a place in Singapore that plays soca, let me know!! I'm a soca addict!

Bonobo2005

Post by Bonobo2005 » Sat, 20 Oct 2007 12:28 am

Ok not really Singapore, but if you are really desperate, it may be worth to keep an eye on parties at Reggae House on Ko Lanta, Thailand; these guys have a most amazing and obscure collection of roots records I ever heard - inclusive of authentic scratches- as well as loads of instruments for everyone to join in! They also regularly organise concerts/festivals. And Thailand has a more liberal environment than Singapore :wink:

It's relatively affordable to reach.
1,5 hour evening flight to Krabi (Tiger Airways - ca S$200 return all in) followed by an hour or two in a minivan or ferry next morning.

Bonobo2005

Post by Bonobo2005 » Sat, 19 Jul 2008 12:21 pm

Just in case someone is still getting excited by my previous recommendation let me update all reggae lovers that Reggae House has moved to another island Koh Phangan, it's no longer a doable weekend option from Singapore! :cry:

mastercephas

Post by mastercephas » Mon, 10 Aug 2009 1:40 pm

Local reggae music lovers can check out these DJ duo called, Dubwise. They play Dub, reggae, DnB and more.

They rock it out at Blu Jazz Cafe nowadays on the weekends.

Also, i heard on the grapevine, Reggae HipHop Rapper & Producer, Kardinal Offishall, will perform live in Singapore end of August.

reggae is surely not dead here...

Trinigirl83

Did somebody say reggae and soca?

Post by Trinigirl83 » Thu, 17 Sep 2009 6:22 pm

hi,

I am new in Singapore as well. I am originally from Trinidad (if my name did not give that away) but recently relocated here from London for a short term assignment with my job (approximately 4 months). It has only been a few weeks, but already I am beginning to wonder whether there are any reggae or soca venues here. The majority of these responses are quite old...does anyone have more up to date information on where to find clubs that play reggae and soca? Any suggestions welcome.

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by hibri2 » Fri, 18 Sep 2009 4:49 pm

ChineyLimer wrote:As far as I know, Bushmen still play at HRC on Sunday nights. It's usually a late crowd though, so you're looking at people coming in around midnight-ish. The band starts playing a little later too, I'd say 11-ish. They do a lot of covers and some originals.
yap, they still play, the catch is that they only play the first sunday of every month...

those guys are one of the best bands in singapore!
"Do not pray in my school, and I will not think in your church." - Unknown.

joliefemme536

Post by joliefemme536 » Tue, 22 Sep 2009 11:22 pm

I heard Blue Jazz Cafe is a jammin spot. I can't wait to check it out.

shilpa_kirps

trini's in sg...?

Post by shilpa_kirps » Thu, 05 Nov 2009 4:52 pm

Trinigyal83... u still here? i can't really find much soca or dub in dis country. st. james or blue jazz will barely play a couple tunes here n there. it'd b real nice to meet another trini in sg, even tho u here only fuh like 2 more mths.

greydalg

Post by greydalg » Fri, 06 Nov 2009 2:43 pm

good news, check this out!

http://www.timeoutsingapore.com/clubs/e ... c-festival

28 nov, be there

JessicaMarie

Post by JessicaMarie » Sun, 08 Nov 2009 10:36 pm

Hey!

I moved here from NY in September also and was in the same predicament--looking for familiar music/ppl. I just met a bunch of west indians who brought me to this chill spot with reggae on fridays. Let me know if you want to [email protected]

JessicaMarie

Post by JessicaMarie » Sun, 08 Nov 2009 10:46 pm

woops, sorry. My email address is [email protected]

mastercephas

Singapore Reggae Festival is cancelled...

Post by mastercephas » Thu, 12 Nov 2009 1:47 am

terrible news guys, SRF'09 is cancelled...and i already bought a ticket...

though i heard from a friend on FaceBook that a replacement event called, Jam Down, will be held on the same date, 28th November. Also, people like me who have already bought tickets get free entry to the event

anybody hear about this?