Singapore Expats

Political Science Jobs in Singapore???

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
gipper

Political Science Jobs in Singapore???

Post by gipper » Sun, 02 Aug 2009 7:37 am

I am an American about to graduate with my Bachelor's in Political Science minoring in International Relations. I used to live in Singapore and I absolutely LOVE that city. This might be a long shot, but does anyone know of any jobs or internships related to political science that are open? Does anyone know where I can look? I would appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Hithnar
Regular
Regular

Post by Hithnar » Sat, 08 Aug 2009 5:39 pm

Hi, I have a double degree and one of them is Political Science.. From my humble experience I can only tell you that Political Science ( especially acquired abroad) is not well perceived in SG. Maybe because politics here is considered a very uneasy topic, and outsiders with their free thinking views of the world seem untamed and unadjustable to local political culture?

I saved my arse with my second degree from commercial field.. If really want a job in SG I suggest you either re-shape your job profile or do some additional courses.

madura
Chatter
Chatter

Post by madura » Sun, 06 Sep 2009 5:24 pm

Hithnar wrote:From my humble experience I can only tell you that Political Science ( especially acquired abroad) is not well perceived in SG. Maybe because politics here is considered a very uneasy topic, and outsiders with their free thinking views of the world seem untamed and unadjustable to local political culture?
if that is the case, why does the singapore government offer scholarships to top high school students to study at overseas universities? and some of these scholarship holders have chosen to study political science at American, British and French colleges?

liberal arts and social science degrees are not well-regarded because they are seen as less applicable to the industry. local employers like to see that you have studied a directly relevant subject, hence the preference for commerce degrees.