Singapore Expats

In memory of Heaven and Hell

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ksl
Governor
Governor

In memory of Heaven and Hell

Post by ksl » Fri, 07 Aug 2009 1:43 am

W hen i read about this episode that happened in the 60's it really was a turning point in crime against the system. Some called them the robin hoods of their time, who really knows. What i see is a helpless old man, that has cost the state maybe 1k a week minimum and is not even classified as dangerous. The great train robbery was a great inspiration to the people that was suffering financially in the 60's in UK. People get less time for homicide can that be justified?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/engl ... 188479.stm

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 07 Aug 2009 7:12 am

Ask the kids of the father who Briggs struck with the iron bar how they feel. and as for the 1k/month it costs the state to keep him, it's only been for a couple of years as Briggs was on the run for many, many years. Not only was he a bank robber (which I know, tickles you - seeing your hatred for banks), he assulted a man with an iron bar in the course of perpetrating that crime, he also escaped prison as well.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Thaiclan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Thaiclan » Fri, 07 Aug 2009 8:23 am

I believe his sentence was more about embarrassment to the system rather than a justified sentence to fit the crime.
More recently...

2 Serbian brothers were found GUILTY of killing 130 muslim women, children and old men. They rounded them up, put them in a house and set fire to it. the youngest was a 2 day old baby, the eldest a 75 year old man.....the sentence they received was 30 years....

Bernard Madoff tricked investors. He offered unrealistic returns which many investors putting their greed above their common sense leapt on which made the whole ponzi scheme an extremely large one. Madoff was sentenced to 130 years..........

These crimes were sentenced within a few weeks of each other. Even in 2009 murder, rape and violence is not the greater crime in the eyes of the state.

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Fri, 07 Aug 2009 8:29 am

Biggs was undeed a bit of a hero ...despite having clocked a guy with an iron bar ( you'd probably kill your oponent with laughter if you turned up with an iron bar now, just look at any town in England on a Saturday night)

Does anybody else remember the Great Rock n Roll swindle. Biggs on the beach in Rio with 2 guys from the pistols :shock:

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 07 Aug 2009 8:46 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Ask the kids of the father who Briggs struck with the iron bar how they feel.
There you go again; there were fifteen robbers in all and the assailant who hit the train driver on the head was never identified. Before someone else leaps on the 'band-wagon' as I have seen in other forums regarding this, note: Jack Mills the train driver died of leukaemia some years afterwards and an inquest later dismissed any connection with the incident.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 07 Aug 2009 9:40 am

I don't remember saying he killed anybody. :???:

Maybe you should read what I write more carefully? :P :wink:

I guess British papers are a lax with the facts as the US one's are...... :?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 07 Aug 2009 12:39 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I don't remember saying he killed anybody. :???:

Maybe you should read what I write more carefully? :P :wink:

I guess British papers are a lax with the facts as the US one's are...... :?

#-o [-o<

I added the reference regarding the train driver's death because every time this issue turns up you will always get several who will say he died because of the assault (read note). You should read what I write more carefully. :tongue: :tongue: As for British papers being lax with the facts, while that maybe the case this particular incident was a long time ago - 1963. :roll:
Last edited by Plavt on Fri, 07 Aug 2009 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 07 Aug 2009 6:35 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Ask the kids of the father who Briggs struck with the iron bar how they feel. and as for the 1k/month it costs the state to keep him, it's only been for a couple of years as Briggs was on the run for many, many years. Not only was he a bank robber (which I know, tickles you - seeing your hatred for banks), he assulted a man with an iron bar in the course of perpetrating that crime, he also escaped prison as well.
sms:as for the 1k/month it costs the state to keep him, it's only been for a couple
:P Have you been on the jolly juice, I said 1k a week, 4k a month minimum, it's costly and really a waste of resources in my opinion. Okay so he did wrong!

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 07 Aug 2009 6:46 pm

ksl wrote:Have you been on the jolly juice, I said 1k a week,
I doubt it unless it's something tropical I don't know about, maybe you should sell him some of that drinking vinegar. :P :lol:

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 07 Aug 2009 10:20 pm

Plavt wrote:
ksl wrote:Have you been on the jolly juice, I said 1k a week,
I doubt it unless it's something tropical I don't know about, maybe you should sell him some of that drinking vinegar. :P :lol:
Tells me it doesn't work without the salt and all that ?iss! :cry:

I don't claim that it works on everyone, because basically he is right what he say's, if you eat a perfectly balanced diet, you may not need it.

The funniest thing i have seen are the English here, that cringe at the thought of drinking vinegar, although they drink much worse, like carbonated drinks, which are also full of acids and additives.

Actually I did a little experiment at a demonstration with the pomegranate juice, that everyone loves, the pom juice is a very powerful anti-oxidant, what people don't really know, is the pH is 2 in pom juice and the vinegar is 4. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomegrante. Now drinking the same pH acid that the stomach already has, may give heart burn or gastric burning on an empty stomach.

Vinegar would dilute the problem because it has a pH of 4 and is only a weak acid, so the tummy acid rises above 2, when consuming vinegar helping reduce gastric problem and heart burn. Again pomegranate is not really a protein, so you wouldn't get the essential amino acids from it.

I can fully recommend juice, pure apple, rosehip and the pomegranate of one brand, after i checked the label with others in Singapore, most of which are from concentrates with added water, so they are definitely not pure juice, even though it says made from 100% pure juice....Consumers are led to believe it is 100% pure juice, when it is made from concentrate, by adding water.