Singapore Expats

Get better, brighter complexion

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
Brenton
Chatter
Chatter

Get better, brighter complexion

Post by Brenton » Tue, 04 Aug 2009 2:13 pm

Will be discussing on Vit C, Vit E, Vit A and their effects on the skin

Brenton
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Brenton » Tue, 04 Aug 2009 5:30 pm

Had been doing some research for ways to get better complexion as i do have acne scars and envy those with babysmooth "poreless" complexion.

As opposed to expensive treatment like laser and microdermabrasion and chemical peel.

Both Vitamin A and C will help with peeling of the top layer of the skin epidermis, so which to choose from?

Vitamin A helps peel the epidermis, stimulate collagen, clear white/black heads and seems to plump up the skin. (That's why products with "Retinol" are more expensive and claims to be anti-aging)
Retinol is belongs to the family of the vitamin A

Vitamin C helps to peel the epidermis, stimulate collagen and whitens your complexion

Both have to be used with caution as too much peeling will do bad for your complexion instead of good.

Would recommend younger people to use Vit C and more mature people to use Vit A.

Take note that Vit C oxidise very easily...so make sure the serum you buy is not yellow in color...but normally they would store vit C in tinted bottles to prevent the sunlight from reaching it.

For people who are considering Vit A, it might be good to start with Differin, a stablised version of Vitamin A. To let your skin get used to the vitamin A before moving on to stronger version/less stable (Retin-A)

Hmm too much info??? i slow down then

vivilen81
Regular
Regular

Post by vivilen81 » Tue, 04 Aug 2009 5:52 pm

I read tat vit c has to be delivered in high dosage to the skin and as a result of that more collagen will be formed and normal collagen that is often found tethering scars will be replaced with normal collagen and the scars will fill up to a degree and become less noticeable.

But depending on vit c alone may need a long period of time be4 visible results can be seen, unless combined vit c wif other skin treatments as well.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 04 Aug 2009 6:10 pm

tic.....toc.....tic.....toc.....tic......

:devil:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

kensan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by kensan » Tue, 04 Aug 2009 10:15 pm

Brenton wrote:Had been doing some research for ways to get better complexion as i do have acne scars and envy those with babysmooth "poreless" complexion.

As opposed to expensive treatment like laser and microdermabrasion and chemical peel.

Both Vitamin A and C will help with peeling of the top layer of the skin epidermis, so which to choose from?

Vitamin A helps peel the epidermis, stimulate collagen, clear white/black heads and seems to plump up the skin. (That's why products with "Retinol" are more expensive and claims to be anti-aging)
Retinol is belongs to the family of the vitamin A

Vitamin C helps to peel the epidermis, stimulate collagen and whitens your complexion

Both have to be used with caution as too much peeling will do bad for your complexion instead of good.

Would recommend younger people to use Vit C and more mature people to use Vit A.

Take note that Vit C oxidise very easily...so make sure the serum you buy is not yellow in color...but normally they would store vit C in tinted bottles to prevent the sunlight from reaching it.

For people who are considering Vit A, it might be good to start with Differin, a stablised version of Vitamin A. To let your skin get used to the vitamin A before moving on to stronger version/less stable (Retin-A)

Hmm too much info??? i slow down then
I am above 30 so should use Vit A? :mrgreen:

Just order Retin-A 0.05%, plan to use only on alternate nights.

mayali

Post by mayali » Wed, 05 Aug 2009 12:22 am

EEEEEEEE dont use retin-A PLEASE!!!

A friend of mine used it and altho her skin was amazing during the usage time when she stopped her skin became terrible! It went on till the whole natural skin renewal process was complete! (Old skin peeling and new skin coming thru.) A doctor had prescribed it to me for acne on my forehead and i went thru the same thing!!! Someone explained tht it contains mild cortisone which yr skin becomes dependent on and when u stop using it the old skin starts drying and peeling away!!!

vivilen81
Regular
Regular

Post by vivilen81 » Wed, 05 Aug 2009 4:12 am

mayali wrote:EEEEEEEE dont use retin-A PLEASE!!!

A friend of mine used it and altho her skin was amazing during the usage time when she stopped her skin became terrible! It went on till the whole natural skin renewal process was complete! (Old skin peeling and new skin coming thru.) A doctor had prescribed it to me for acne on my forehead and i went thru the same thing!!! Someone explained tht it contains mild cortisone which yr skin becomes dependent on and when u stop using it the old skin starts drying and peeling away!!!
Perhaps a lower concentration of retin-A has lesser side effects. I used retin-A cream n stopped after a wk, my skin had blisters n very dry due to my super sensitive skin. Bt my condition is different frm others, most ppl experience the same side effects, and peeling stopped after a while. Sunblock is VERY important! prevent dark spots n scars forming.

kensan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by kensan » Wed, 05 Aug 2009 8:35 am

I intend to use it for my acne scar. Those who use it to treat acne, it'll return once stop using.

Brenton
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Brenton » Wed, 05 Aug 2009 12:12 pm

mayali wrote:EEEEEEEE dont use retin-A PLEASE!!!

The correct way of using it is to use a low concentration first, then slowly moving on to higher concentration..

immediate stopping is not recommended also, when you are done and satisfied, you have to slowly draw away.....reducing to lower concentration before stopping.

Like i said, it's not good to start immediately with Retin-A, better to start with Differin.

Irritation will occurs when and if you apply Vit A to your face when it's still wet.

Correct way of application is to wait till your face is totally dry then apply a THIN layer of Differin/Retin-A. A small amount goes a long way.
For people experiencing extreme peeling, either switch to a lower concentration, or apply moisturiser 20 mins after applying vit A(not immediately) or just use it on alternate nights.

Sunlight is very important during the day, and never use Vit A on your day during the day. Another important thing to note is that when using Vit A, do not use scrub or facial wash that will peel your face further. Just a normal cleanser that wash away the oil/impurities on the surface will do.

I believed that it's a controlled drug item in spore as misuse will cause problems rather than help.

kensan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by kensan » Thu, 06 Aug 2009 8:37 am

Received my Retin-A 0.025% solution yesterday, applied yesterday night but didn't feel any burning as mentioned. Waiting for my 0.05% cream to arrive.

Brenton
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Brenton » Thu, 06 Aug 2009 9:45 am

kensan wrote:Received my Retin-A 0.025% solution yesterday, applied yesterday night but didn't feel any burning as mentioned. Waiting for my 0.05% cream to arrive.
you are not supposed to feel any burning sensation, if not it's too strong or wrong way of application le

kensan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by kensan » Thu, 06 Aug 2009 12:11 pm

Brenton wrote:
kensan wrote:Received my Retin-A 0.025% solution yesterday, applied yesterday night but didn't feel any burning as mentioned. Waiting for my 0.05% cream to arrive.
you are not supposed to feel any burning sensation, if not it's too strong or wrong way of application le
Most users will at least have some light stinging sensation le, will update again after a few applications.

I also apply it on my eye and alar surgery scar, hoping it will reduce.

pootie
Regular
Regular

Post by pootie » Thu, 06 Aug 2009 1:02 pm

i've been on retin A for years and yes for a start, start with 0.01 / 0.025. Use alternate nites / 3 times a week. you can however use 0.01 around the eyes to reduce fine lines, or if u already are a user, u can mix a little of ur eye/cream or eye gel to a little retin A and use on ur eyes..

Vita A helps in healing of scars and stimulates collagen renewal thus reducing fine lines. it also helps with lightening of freckles or pigmentation. blackheads will also be reduced in time to come..

if you have pimples, there will be a phase of 'purging' where ur skin can get more breakouts cos it's purging out all the nonsense tats underneath. you will also experience peeling on ur skin.

i cant say i have very fantastic skin but my freckles are much lightened, my pimple marks are much lightened, i dun get pimples tat often anymore, the lines around my eyes are softened, i dun have big pores to start with and now my skin is even softer and more radiant than before.. immediately after i wash my face, its so bright tat it can almost reflect light.. with my make up on, pple say the skin on my face is like baby skin.. at 30, i dun really have lines on my face, and look younger than my age.. :)

i have 2 aunties who have been on retin A for the past 10yrs, and their skins are fantastic!!

kensan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by kensan » Thu, 06 Aug 2009 1:46 pm

pootie wrote:i've been on retin A for years and yes for a start, start with 0.01 / 0.025. Use alternate nites / 3 times a week. you can however use 0.01 around the eyes to reduce fine lines, or if u already are a user, u can mix a little of ur eye/cream or eye gel to a little retin A and use on ur eyes..

Vita A helps in healing of scars and stimulates collagen renewal thus reducing fine lines. it also helps with lightening of freckles or pigmentation. blackheads will also be reduced in time to come..

if you have pimples, there will be a phase of 'purging' where ur skin can get more breakouts cos it's purging out all the nonsense tats underneath. you will also experience peeling on ur skin.

i cant say i have very fantastic skin but my freckles are much lightened, my pimple marks are much lightened, i dun get pimples tat often anymore, the lines around my eyes are softened, i dun have big pores to start with and now my skin is even softer and more radiant than before.. immediately after i wash my face, its so bright tat it can almost reflect light.. with my make up on, pple say the skin on my face is like baby skin.. at 30, i dun really have lines on my face, and look younger than my age.. :)

i have 2 aunties who have been on retin A for the past 10yrs, and their skins are fantastic!!
I also want light reflecting skin 8-)

Brenton
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Brenton » Thu, 06 Aug 2009 9:41 pm

kensan wrote:
Brenton wrote:
Most users will at least have some light stinging sensation le, will update again after a few applications.

I also apply it on my eye and alar surgery scar, hoping it will reduce.
i would seriously suggest you use a lower concentration first...
i had been using it for quite some time. It is not supposed to have any stinging sensation on the 1ST application