Singapore Expats

what items do you wish you had brought from home?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
tanusa
Regular
Regular

what items do you wish you had brought from home?

Post by tanusa » Sun, 02 Aug 2009 7:25 am

Hi. We're trying to figure out what items we should be sure we take with us during our move to Singapore from the U.S. Any items you left at home, but wish you hadn't? I've read on this forum everything from a grill to a potato masher (are they really $70???). If you feel like listing those "wish I had brought with me" items, we'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Sun, 02 Aug 2009 1:49 pm

I just came back from the US (bringing 6 additional suitcases back!) I buy the following in bulk:

Children's Sunscreen
Advil
Favorite Coffee
Favorite Candy (Red Vines, Mini Swedish Fish, Sees, Junior Mints, Sugar Daddies...etc)
Downy Fabric Softener Sheets
Secret Deodorant
Speed Stick Deodorant
Keihls Shaving Cream
Aveda Haircare
Children's Toothpaste
Shoes, Shoes & More Shoes!
Men's Underwear
Men's Undershirts
Workout Gear
Bathing Suits!
Children's Clothes
Spices (Chipolte, Adobe)
Dried Chipolte Chiles, Ancho Chiles
Lightweight clothing - dresses, shorts, tees... I bought multiple pairs of the same shorts b/c they were practically giving them away and I find that we launder our clothes so much here they get "worn" looking quite easily.

I usually don't shop like a maniac... but I couldn't believe the price difference for some of our favorite brands. The sales were unbelievable and everything is supersized... i.e. I pay $20 a bottle for sunscreen here and in the US the same brand was $6.99 - Buy 1 get one free.

I used to send loads and loads of diapers - but I have to be honest - I couldn't wait to get back to our brands here! I also missed the food shopping here in Singapore for the tropical fruits and variety of international foods.

You will be surprised at the amount of things you can get here - very little you'll miss - but definitely comes at a premium.

I also tend to buy a lot of kids pajamas.. I'm able to find a lot of the Carters/GAP stuff at the factory outlet stores here (and there are several) but you never know what's going to be in stock.

Also look at the plastic cups, bowls, plates... etc. I bought some great stuff at Target to take down to the pool... or use around the house in fun colors/patterns. It's hard to find things like this that are not super expensive.

Do a search on this forum b/c this topic has been discussed a lot.

Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Zeenit » Sun, 02 Aug 2009 4:05 pm

We had to buy men's underwear and shoes when we went back to the UK as my husband is over 6" tall and we can't get things here to fit him.

Nice high heels is also something I brought back with me, but I don't wear highs in Singapore as I never find a place that calls for it.

Beds here are standard size in length so be aware of buying them in Singapore.

Western Food might be more expensive but you can find it here.

Good Luck
Zeenit

tanusa
Regular
Regular

Post by tanusa » Sun, 02 Aug 2009 11:50 pm

cbavasi wrote:I just came back from the US (bringing 6 additional suitcases back!) I buy the following in bulk:

Children's Sunscreen
Advil
Favorite Coffee
Favorite Candy (Red Vines, Mini Swedish Fish, Sees, Junior Mints, Sugar Daddies...etc)
Downy Fabric Softener Sheets
Secret Deodorant
Speed Stick Deodorant
Keihls Shaving Cream
Aveda Haircare
Children's Toothpaste
Shoes, Shoes & More Shoes!
Men's Underwear
Men's Undershirts
Workout Gear
Bathing Suits!
Children's Clothes
Spices (Chipolte, Adobe)
Dried Chipolte Chiles, Ancho Chiles
Lightweight clothing - dresses, shorts, tees... I bought multiple pairs of the same shorts b/c they were practically giving them away and I find that we launder our clothes so much here they get "worn" looking quite easily.

I usually don't shop like a maniac... but I couldn't believe the price difference for some of our favorite brands. The sales were unbelievable and everything is supersized... i.e. I pay $20 a bottle for sunscreen here and in the US the same brand was $6.99 - Buy 1 get one free.

I used to send loads and loads of diapers - but I have to be honest - I couldn't wait to get back to our brands here! I also missed the food shopping here in Singapore for the tropical fruits and variety of international foods.

You will be surprised at the amount of things you can get here - very little you'll miss - but definitely comes at a premium.

I also tend to buy a lot of kids pajamas.. I'm able to find a lot of the Carters/GAP stuff at the factory outlet stores here (and there are several) but you never know what's going to be in stock.

Also look at the plastic cups, bowls, plates... etc. I bought some great stuff at Target to take down to the pool... or use around the house in fun colors/patterns. It's hard to find things like this that are not super expensive.

Do a search on this forum b/c this topic has been discussed a lot.
thank you so much for this list! It's really really helpful.

tanusa
Regular
Regular

Post by tanusa » Sun, 02 Aug 2009 11:52 pm

Zeenit wrote:We had to buy men's underwear and shoes when we went back to the UK as my husband is over 6" tall and we can't get things here to fit him.

Nice high heels is also something I brought back with me, but I don't wear highs in Singapore as I never find a place that calls for it.

Beds here are standard size in length so be aware of buying them in Singapore.

Western Food might be more expensive but you can find it here.

Good Luck
thanks Zeenit. We've been talking about getting a bed and were trying to decide if we should buy it here or just wait until we get there. I have a friend who had a mattress get bugs during the shipment overseas, so I'm hesitant to buy a new one to ship. I'll have to think about it... thanks again!

Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Zeenit » Mon, 03 Aug 2009 8:54 am

We brought 2 mattresses with us but had them cleaned before we left the UK. Not sure if this helped but we never had bugs in our mattresses when it arrived.

Maybe that was a one off.
Zeenit

carolynW
Chatter
Chatter

Post by carolynW » Thu, 06 Aug 2009 8:47 am

Anyone moving from South Africa that I can use a tiny amount of their container space for a collapsible gardening box?

chrisali31

Regrets

Post by chrisali31 » Sun, 09 Aug 2009 12:02 pm

I regret not bringing things to decorate the childrens room with. Ie stickers and posters of their favourite TV characters. Im sure I will find it eventually but it would have been nice for the children to have it straight away. Make sure that you bring all your kitchen bits and bobs and things like a food processor if you use one. They have them here but again expensive. We also didnt have any problems with beds being shipped. If needed we were really pleased with "Helitrans" who stored our stuff this end for a few weeks. They also delivered and unpacked and came back a few days later to pick up the rest of the boxes that I wanted to unpack ourselves. Telephone answer machine. Didnt bring ours and they dont have many here so had to pay over the odds for that as well. I would definately stock up on casual clothes before you come but casual shoes and dress jewellry are every where and reasonably cheap. If you have kids I would also bring pool stuff with you ie inflatables and a good quality picnic blanket. Again I am sure that we will get replies saying "you can get them there...." but when you have just arrived its hard to find the little bits and bobs. If I think of anything else I will let you know. Oh and good quality no sugar jelly crystals. Had to get that sent over from the Uk .

irvine
Chatter
Chatter

Post by irvine » Mon, 17 Aug 2009 12:38 pm

- Undergarments (female especially)
- Anything you like from Target.
- Summer clothes (especially work pants/skirts)
- Dayquil/Nyquil
- Anything you use daily/regularly that you think you could always 'buy in Singapore'... just bring at least a few weeks' supply first. These are the things that make your transition easier usually.

tanusa
Regular
Regular

Post by tanusa » Tue, 18 Aug 2009 5:40 am

irvine wrote:- Undergarments (female especially)
- Anything you like from Target.
- Summer clothes (especially work pants/skirts)
- Dayquil/Nyquil
- Anything you use daily/regularly that you think you could always 'buy in Singapore'... just bring at least a few weeks' supply first. These are the things that make your transition easier usually.
thanks irvine! I laughed when I read "anything you like from Target." I've been thinking constantly about how I want to go stock up on things there. I love Target! It's funny, the things I get the most compliments on are always from there.

AngMoKio
Regular
Regular

Post by AngMoKio » Tue, 18 Aug 2009 10:22 am

Zeenit wrote:We had to buy men's underwear and shoes when we went back to the UK as my husband is over 6" tall and we can't get things here to fit him.
Perhaps I am missing out on a myth that I shouldn't really dispel as I am 6'3"

But, what does height have to do with underwear?

irvine
Chatter
Chatter

Post by irvine » Tue, 18 Aug 2009 10:40 am

Tanusa, haha yes Target is my favorite store too. If only they would have a Target here in Singapore as well :p Where else can you get nice things at a good price, eh?

Well, the good thing here is, there are some neighborhood shops that carries good household stuff, and also toiletries. Some stores are cheaper than others. Of course, you could also go over to Johor Bahru (Malaysia southern tip) to shop for stuff. With the exchange rate, many things are cheaper. Oh, if there's a consolation, Amazon does ship to Singapore.

carolynW
Chatter
Chatter

Post by carolynW » Wed, 19 Aug 2009 9:04 pm

If you have special toothpaste that you like... I like the arm and hammer brand with baking soda.

hiromice
Regular
Regular

Post by hiromice » Wed, 19 Aug 2009 9:44 pm

I'd say MORE CASH.

A lot of places here don't take credit cards. ( mostly dinning places, some supermarkets etc).

They take NETTS here, I think it requires you to have a bank account here.