Singapore Expats

No Landlord Please

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
carteki
Editor
Editor

No Landlord Please

Post by carteki » Mon, 20 Jul 2009 7:57 pm

It is a fairly common theme when reading through shared-accommodation want ads that they don't want to live with the landlord. What is the difference between living with the landlord or another tenant? Does this mean that they plan to be difficult and think that a land-lord is going to treat them any differently to how they would be treated by the "official tenant"? Given that the official tenant is probably breaking the terms of the lease by sub-letting and has up to 2 months deposit stuck away that they could potentially lose, what makes them think that the tenant will let them "get away with more"?

Your thoughts? As a Landlord, or sub-landlord, would you accept such a tenant?

ringo100100

Post by ringo100100 » Mon, 20 Jul 2009 10:18 pm

I think there is a big difference between either living with the landlord or not.

I am not saying that I would be disrespectful to the property if the landlord were not there but it just feels far more your home and you do not feel like a permanent guest.

Plus it is very common for landlords to rent rooms rather than whole units as the return is far better.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Mon, 20 Jul 2009 11:07 pm

just imagine if i am sharing with the landlord, i wont be able to cook belacan or eat durian everyday!

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

Re: No Landlord Please

Post by hibri2 » Tue, 21 Jul 2009 1:17 am

carteki wrote: Your thoughts? As a Landlord, or sub-landlord, would you accept such a tenant?
i am always what it is generally called the "main tenant" and i just take those people who are willing to live under my very strict rules of conduct and very specific mindset :-)

just under the most extreme circumstances i will rent a place with the owner of the place (landlord) still living there as it will feel to me like living with my any of my parents or like living in a house but not my little haven.

that is just about all.
"Do not pray in my school, and I will not think in your church." - Unknown.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Tue, 21 Jul 2009 11:49 am

An alternative view might be that as the landlord is living in the place as opposed to "just" other tenants the respect for property and cleanliness comes from the owner not wanting to reduce his own investment value.

Puts you, as tenant, under a very restrictive environment maybe but better than living with a smelly slob ;)

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by hibri2 » Tue, 21 Jul 2009 12:08 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote: Puts you, as tenant, under a very restrictive environment maybe but better than living with a smelly slob ;)
:-)

one of my housemates used to rent a room with the landlord and she:

1-can not cook non-halal food at the house, not even bring it inside (they guy was muslim)

2-can not be at the house after 10 pm

3-can not bring friends or (gasp! allah forbids!) boyfriend

4-can not dress "too revealing" which considering the burqa... well is way relative to some religions :-)

5-can not drink beer, wine or anything alcoholic in the house nor to keep it in the house.

and sooo many more i forgot now...

poor girl was in such a bad mental state (she lived there for a couple of weeks)...

i am quite sure that she rather lives with the slobs, smelly or otherwise. :-D

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Tue, 21 Jul 2009 2:38 pm

Okay, but 80% of that is based on sharing the house in a Muslim environment........ find a Chinese or Indian or other landlord and all those problems also disappear so it is also a matter of being a little bit clever about it too. Okay, some different ones might pop up too but all for questioning at the time of interview.

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Tue, 21 Jul 2009 2:44 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:Okay, but 80% of that is based on sharing the house in a Muslim environment........
Totally correct. I stayed in an apartment with some french people where I felt like I was a constant guest and they were renting, so it isn't only landlords who are the problem.

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by hibri2 » Tue, 21 Jul 2009 3:08 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote: so it is also a matter of being a little bit clever about it too.
i totally agree with you here and that is exactly what i told to her in the "interview".

just to be on the correct track, are we talking about renting a house with the proper owner or renting a house with a "main tenant"?. i think it is a huge difference between them.

the owners for some un-founded reason (because i have never actually rented a place with the owners living there) strike me as an uncomfortable choice.

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Tue, 21 Jul 2009 3:17 pm

hibri2 wrote:the owners for some un-founded reason (because i have never actually rented a place with the owners living there) strike me as an uncomfortable choice.
Why?

skye
Chatter
Chatter

Post by skye » Tue, 21 Jul 2009 3:28 pm

I think it's the difference between being a "flat-share" as equals and renting a room that's the issue. I once shared a beautiful apartment with a friend whose family owned the property. I felt like only my one room was really mine and she made it awkward to invite my friends over for a meal, have a friend to stay the weekend, hang out watching TV if she was in the lounge. She even had rules about when the heating could be on (you can guess this wasn't Singapore :lol: ) I ended up moving out because I just wasn't enjoying living there. I have shared with groups of friends (or people who became friends after we moved in) before that and since, and would never move in with the landlord again.

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by hibri2 » Tue, 21 Jul 2009 3:39 pm

carteki wrote:
hibri2 wrote:the owners for some un-founded reason (because i have never actually rented a place with the owners living there) strike me as an uncomfortable choice.
Why?
be aware that it is not a rational well sustained argument at all, ok? it is just a "feeling"...

i just feel that living in a house with the owners will make me kind of not really at home, even if they are super nice and open, i will still feel weird and uncomfortable going to the kitchen at 3 am to grab a beer, make me a coffee... etc... etc... even if the let me smoke i will feel weird smoking in the house, i wont feel ok changing something in my room and so on.

i dont know, it really annoys me and if they have kids it is worse add old people and then is a nightmare! :-)
skye wrote:I think it's the difference between being a "flat-share" as equals
totally! or at least for me it is...

just want to add that i am talking about renting long term and shit, i do a lot of couchsurfing and for a short period of time (5 days tops so far) it is lovely (kids and old people included)

Avida
Regular
Regular

Post by Avida » Wed, 22 Jul 2009 8:25 pm

My ex-landlady made me boil drinking water, cook instant noodles, keep all my possessions within the confines of my room. Also I'm not allowed to touch any of her things with the exception of the TV, washing machine and fridge. Which means I had to buy my own set of broom, mop and dust pan. Plus I'm required to scrub the bathroom (the one that I use) once a week.

Generally they are not mean, nasty or rude, just that they have way too many rules and they watch the tenants like a hawk.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Thu, 23 Jul 2009 9:43 am

Avida wrote:My ex-landlady made me boil drinking water, cook instant noodles, keep all my possessions within the confines of my room. Also I'm not allowed to touch any of her things with the exception of the TV, washing machine and fridge. Which means I had to buy my own set of broom, mop and dust pan. Plus I'm required to scrub the bathroom (the one that I use) once a week.

Generally they are not mean, nasty or rude, just that they have way too many rules and they watch the tenants like a hawk.

With the exception of the "cook instant noodles" thing and having to buy your own mop etc. i can see a point about the rest.

macaroonie
Chatter
Chatter

Post by macaroonie » Thu, 23 Jul 2009 4:32 pm

i still don't understand the don't cook rule here - why have a kitchen at all if you are not going to use it? why not then convert it into another room or something...