Singapore Expats

(split from What do you love about living in Singapore).

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

(split from What do you love about living in Singapore).

Post by hibri2 » Sun, 19 Jul 2009 1:57 pm

road.not.taken wrote: it opens doors and there is just a level of respect afforded to 'my kind' in general that frankly, is easy to get used to.

It's a throw back to the old colonial attitudes and it's very sweet to be on this end of it.
i totally agree with you, it is similar to those sweet old black people from the south, the level or respect and awe to my kind it is just adorable...

oh how i miss those good ol' times, colonial times... a more gentle epoch to us. being at my end of it it is way better than at the other end, generally the cross and the gun :-)

anyway, what i like about living in singapore?

apart from the many reasons discussed above (not the colonial mentality, which, i honestly despise [both sides of it]);

singapore it is a place where you can easily have a party of 20 people and none of them are of the same country, that is a beautiful thing.

religion is seen but not felt in singapore and the government manage to equally put in their places all type of believers.

for all the talk about being conservatives around here, you can generally do and be as you please.
"Do not pray in my school, and I will not think in your church." - Unknown.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Sun, 19 Jul 2009 6:47 pm

hibri2 wrote:
road.not.taken wrote: it opens doors and there is just a level of respect afforded to 'my kind' in general that frankly, is easy to get used to.

It's a throw back to the old colonial attitudes and it's very sweet to be on this end of it.
i totally agree with you, it is similar to those sweet old black people from the south, the level or respect and awe to my kind it is just adorable...

oh how i miss those good ol' times, colonial times... a more gentle epoch to us. being at my end of it it is way better than at the other end, generally the cross and the gun :-)
hibri2, save the sarcasm, and just answer the question. I didn't create the attitude, and I don't perpetuate it, but it does exist.

tanusa, I can tell you one way it plays out that is very convenient: you can get past any guard house at any condo with a smile and a kind word ~ when you are looking for housing or visiting friends. I won't lie, it's nice.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 19 Jul 2009 7:32 pm

*biting my tongue*
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by hibri2 » Mon, 20 Jul 2009 12:48 pm

road.not.taken wrote: hibri2, save the sarcasm,
i try to save the sarcasm and also the sense of humour before you manage to kill it from this forum... SAVE THE SARCASM!!! SAVE THE HUMOUR!!! :-D A LAS BARRICADAS!!!

road.not.taken wrote: and just answer the question.
which i did, i added three points to the many more already given... so relax...

road.not.taken wrote: I didn't create the attitude, and I don't perpetuate it, but it does exist.
wrong, saying it is nice and that you get used to it is a form of perpetuating it and condoning it, there is a name for that... (edit: i wanted to say "the good german syndrome" not eichmanns, there... fixed).

understand that some people like the colonial mentality and some of us dont... as i said, i bet i am not the only one who despise the colonial attitudes, both sides of it the "old ladies of yore" attitude as well as the "bowing native" attitude.

i suppose that the emptiness gets filled really nice by sticking to a misconstrued sense of respect based on a horrifying imperialistic mental residue (remember they dont respect 'your kind' they pretend to do it and most likely laugh at your back).

but well, some people out there actually believe in a cosmic jewish zombie, so to each it own.
road.not.taken wrote:you can get past any guard house at any condo with a smile and a kind word ~ when you are looking for housing or visiting friends. I won't lie, it's nice.
do you managed to confuse the above statement with the imperial order of the day?! oh dear... seriously you like dungeons and dragons a little too much me' lady... :-D

tanusa, that happens more often than not if anyone just approach the guards and say "good morning" and the like plus a "how are you today"... it is called courtesy.

the fact here is that it is not really a local custom to indulge yourself in polite small talk (good morning, how are you, that sort of stuff) less with lower ranks (guards, maids, cleaning staff) which is absolutely a colonial thingy mixed with the Confucianism of the region.
Last edited by hibri2 on Mon, 20 Jul 2009 2:30 pm, edited 6 times in total.

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by hibri2 » Mon, 20 Jul 2009 12:54 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:*biting my tongue*
:-|

i waited two days to answer road.not.taken's post :-)

not my intention to start a fight but... some posts are just too juicy to let go.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Mon, 20 Jul 2009 7:15 pm

OK hibri2,

I'll leave it to you to save the humor on the forum, your posts can cetainly lend some comedic relief, so consider it a job well done! It must be a cold and lonely place you post from to conger up visions of nazis and consider this high on your juicy-meter.

As far as living off the scraps of the colonial table ~ it is what it is. All I can do, all any of us can do, is treat those around us as fairly and with respect. So yes, go ahead ~ choke on your indignation and the crumbs left over if you'd like. Whatever. Not sure if anyone cares, I know I don't.

I'm just answering a question honestly, based on 15 years experience living in Singapore. If you don't like that ~ well by all means! Rant on!

I don't believe in the death penalty, or half the ridiculous laws and punishments in Singapore either, but I'm not going to lie ~ I like the safety they provide.

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by hibri2 » Tue, 21 Jul 2009 12:04 am

road.not.taken wrote: It must be a cold and lonely place you post from to conger up visions of nazis and consider this high on your juicy-meter.
err... cold and lonely? not at all me' lady! it is very warm and fuzzy here plus surrounded with plenty of very good friends laughing vehemently at the grand dame's delusion syndrome certain people partake in...

i assume by some of your posts that you are not here in singapore anymore, right? oh dear... cold and lonely applies more to you in this particular case... me? i tend to have an ecstatic and wonderful life (have you seen my signature?).

by the way, the "good german syndrome" in my post was not about nazis at all, dont bring the nazi card, not only it is degrading the argument but it is a cheap trick of the liberal left. a trick they do a lot and i loathe deeply.

my good german mention was just to bring light about those people who hide behind a "i was at the nice end of it" to excuse a horrible situation.
road.not.taken wrote: As far as living off the scraps of the colonial table ~ it is what it is. All I can do, all any of us can do, is treat those around us as fairly and with respect. So yes, go ahead ~ choke on your indignation and the crumbs left over if you'd like. Whatever. Not sure if anyone cares, I know I don't.
ok, so we are cool that you sort of realized the whole thing now and lacking better arguments have opted for not caring, i can accept that... i understand that sometimes we write just about all types of crap.
road.not.taken wrote: I'm just answering a question honestly, based on 15 years experience living in Singapore. If you don't like that ~ well by all means! Rant on!
lets recap... shall we me' lady?

when someone asked what do you love about singapore?
you answered... the colonial mentality of the natives towards me

in no instance i stated that you are being dishonest or that the colonial mentality does not happens. actually, the main issue is how honest and naive you are. and by the way, it is completely ok to be that honest about being an imperialist... just dont expect absolute empathy from the others foreigners here... it is singaporeexpats forums, not singaporeimperialists

the only point i am making is how appalling is to rejoice on it and just for a minute to throw a positive light on it, based on years of academic studies and not on 15 years of expat packages and tea parties... as a non-believer i tend to weight academia more than illusions, lets the people choose.

and oh... please, you know i am not ranting at all... dont try to down play a very valid point just because endangers your non-sensical class pride.
road.not.taken wrote: I don't believe in the death penalty, or half the ridiculous laws and punishments in Singapore either, but I'm not going to lie ~ I like the safety they provide.
well, i suppose we can say the same of the patriot act, homeland wiretapping, rendition, the ISA and the like...

just for your info and it may burst your nice cozy blindfolded bubble... those do not provide more safety, it has been proved. but that is another completely different argument.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Tue, 21 Jul 2009 12:33 am

Ahhh....

Like a dog with a bone. Enjoy hibri2! It's all yours (and of course the voices inside your head)

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by hibri2 » Tue, 21 Jul 2009 12:47 am

road.not.taken wrote:Ahhh....

Like a dog with a bone. Enjoy hibri2! It's all yours (and of course the voices inside your head)
naaaaht, it gets sort of lame when you go in full retreat.... :-),

i sort of miss some of the old folks with equally silly delusions they will have kept this alive and entertaining for a day or two.

but hey! dont think i am not empathic with the situation i do understand where those ideas come from and why some people need them.

with a very nice, comical and elaborate bow and a tip of my hat, i bid ye a farewell me' lady!

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Tue, 21 Jul 2009 11:08 am

hibri2 wrote: by the way, the "good german syndrome" in my post was not about nazis at all, dont bring the nazi card, not only it is degrading the argument but it is a cheap trick of the liberal left. a trick they do a lot and i loathe deeply.

my good german mention was just to bring light about those people who hide behind a "i was at the nice end of it" to excuse a horrible situation.
That simply doesn't make sense, hibri2.

You refer to Eichman and then raise your hands in dismay when the word nazi is thrown back . . . you c.an't have it both ways.

I'd really be interested to see what you mean by your 'quote' (is it a quote, if so from where, please)

I have no dog in this fight but you seem to just relish the energiser bunny position . . . you have the energy and go on and on and on and on . . . but you don't say much

'nuff said Image

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by hibri2 » Tue, 21 Jul 2009 11:43 am

Vaucluse wrote: You refer to Eichman and then raise your hands in dismay when the word nazi is thrown back . . . you c.an't have it both ways.
humm... i corrected the mistake some minutes after posting that particular post maybe you saw the pre-corrected version.
hibri2 wrote: (edit: i wanted to say "the good german syndrome" not eichmanns, there... fixed)
so, as you see, eichmanns (double "n") has nothing to do in the post, some times people mess up the concepts they use as a reference.

also check the why part in the other post.
Vaucluse wrote: I'd really be interested to see what you mean by your 'quote' (is it a quote, if so from where, please)
which quote or part?
Vaucluse wrote: the energiser bunny position . . . you have the energy and go on and on and on and on . . . but you don't say much
you call 3 posts as going "on and on"?

one of the 3 posts actually a recap because the good ol' lady is sort of obtuse?

the "not saying much" is contested and relative, you say as much as your opponent manages, i do notice that most of the time with road.not.taken and a few others i end repeating a lot (refer to the privacy post - why the office is quiet)... but third party observers not in this forum disagree in general from the "not saying much" part, at the end, i really couldn't care less :-)

actually this post-morten of the exchange between road.not.taken and me does not really interest me too much

anyway i can clarify any query you may have about it if it is that important to you. :-)

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Tue, 21 Jul 2009 12:28 pm

By going on and on I meant the content and constant repeating . . . your content is quite void of meaning.

Oh, and you should be one of the last people correcting other's typos or spelling errors, it makes you look rather foolish.

'nuff said Image

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by hibri2 » Tue, 21 Jul 2009 12:49 pm

Vaucluse wrote:By going on and on I meant the content and constant repeating . . . your content is quite void of meaning.
ok, as you wish, that pretty much settles it for you then and i wont engage on irrelevant technicalities.
Vaucluse wrote: Oh, and you should be one of the last people correcting other's typos or spelling errors, it makes you look rather foolish.
relax a little bit, can? i didn't even see the issue as a typo, maybe it is just me but with names we are better in the correct sync so we know that: first we are talking about the same person and second if someone else wants to do a check...

jeez dude... for not having a "dog" with the whole silly thing you sure are quite the treat :-)