Singapore Expats

How do you recommend i quit smoking?

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
tranquillusion

How do you recommend i quit smoking?

Post by tranquillusion » Fri, 27 Jul 2007 9:37 am

Hi! I'm a smoker smoking more than 20 cigs a :mad: day for the past few years. I've tried to cut down to less than 10, but have :shock: experienced dizziness and lots of mucus/runny nose... so i'm stuck at 15, which seems the optimum point. But what do you suggest, because i want to give up smoking altogether? :P

I really need advice from smokers/ex-smokers and non-smokers with experience with smokers. Thanks.

Tran
:cool:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 27 Jul 2007 10:19 am

In the words of a certain sneaker manufacturer.........

JUST DO IT!

I seriously mean just that.

Chucking the Ciggies!

Chucking the Ciggies 2!

Been smoke free for over 2 1/2 years now after 37 years of smoking.

sms

edited to add: One more thing, (ladies take note) as old MCP (male chauvinist pig - year of the boar!) when I see a woman/girl smoking a cigarette I automatically think of prostitutes and hookers no matter how well they are dressed or where they are. Sorry, I know it's wrong, but I personally think there are lots of guys out there, truth be known, that think just like me. It's is, however, just one more reason to think about........
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Kean

Post by Kean » Wed, 15 Jul 2009 6:26 pm

I've quit smoking for 6 yrs now (after smoking for abt 20). I've helped couple of friends quit as well.

The most important thing is that you're really ready to quit - trying to quit half-heartedly is futile.

Will help you if you wish.. PM me

shy_mimosa

Post by shy_mimosa » Fri, 17 Jul 2009 4:34 pm

1) Get a girlfriend/boyfriend who will motivate you!

2) See a doctor. I know some doctors help treat patients with such problems.

3) Chew on gums.

4) Take up sports.

5) Stay positive and stress-free.

anteos

Post by anteos » Sat, 25 Jul 2009 3:10 am

smoking for 6 years and free for almost 2 years. I take 15 before

i agree with the idea of getting a gf or bf to motivate you, as the big motivation for me to smoke is my partner. She hate smokes, she hate it too much, and I cant smoke infront of her, and she will get mad like hell if I smoke.

and I stay under one roof with her, though at first I even cant go to toilet, and feel so bad, but soon or latter that feelings will go away. to be honest, I grew fatter now.. and on a hard diet pill now, but still cant help, I dont know why, sometimes I miss smoking to get my shape back. though my complexion is so much better, and I look so much younger, but fatter haha.

I drank coffee before, I chew that black candies to help me, I forgot what is called, its black and old fashion, I just seen it at that paragon supermart. my mom says, my dad quit smoking before, because of that candies.

I think you should try that black candies. Good luck.
there is someone thats richer, prettier, and famous than you. take it easy, you aint all that.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 25 Jul 2009 7:11 am

Just an update to my earlier posts. I'm still smoke free after 4.5 years. Just do it!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

channel5

Post by channel5 » Sat, 25 Jul 2009 2:06 pm

its tough.. my bf is a heavy smoker and does not wish to stop smoking. when he goes on business trips, i smoke much less, when hes back, i light up whenever he does. argh.

bluexob
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bluexob » Sun, 26 Jul 2009 10:58 pm

Maybe the next time u have the urge to smoke, eat lots of sweets instead of smoking:)

Flowerpoddess

Post by Flowerpoddess » Fri, 31 Jul 2009 3:16 am

Bluexob - Wouldn't that be dangerous to end up with diabetes in return :P

I'm not a smoker and never have so I don't think it'll be my place to give methods, however I know of friends who have given up smoking doing it for 30 years. They did do a combination of diet, lifestyle changes (some people have too much time on their hands), stress management.

It's a great thing to achieve physically and of course you save tons of money when you calculate how much money is spend on cigarettes only destroying your health, which costs a bomb to repair.

Good luck.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 31 Jul 2009 7:04 am

Flowerpoddess wrote:Bluexob - Wouldn't that be dangerous to end up with diabetes in return :P

I'm not a smoker and never have so I don't think it'll be my place to give methods, however I know of friends who have given up smoking doing it for 30 years. They did do a combination of diet, lifestyle changes (some people have too much time on their hands), stress management.

It's a great thing to achieve physically and of course you save tons of money when you calculate how much money is spend on cigarettes only destroying your health, which costs a bomb to repair.

Good luck.
Well, as an ex-smoker who had a 37 year habit. I can tell you this.....

When you will be successful in giving up is a time when you quit for no other reason than you want to. Seriously. If you stop because it's the PC thing to do, or your do it for your kids, your spouse, the government, you will not be successful. You will be just like a reformed alcoholic who is just waiting to fall off the wagon. Difference is between Stopping and Quitting. When you stop, you know you will probably start again. When you quit, you take the keys out of the ignition and throw them away.

Yes, you can cause weight gain, but again, only if you allow it to. As far as costing a bomb to repair. Bollocks. The body will regenerate all the cells in your in 10 years as no cost to you. The key is to quit before "permanent" damage id done (like cancer). Of course getting cancer due to smoking is like toto. It's a gamble. Is it linked? Sure it is. Will you get it? Nobody knows. But why take the chance.

I will say this though, while I enjoyed smoking for many years, in the year before I quit, it was more reflexive habit more than anything else and they no longer tasted good or "satisfied". I quit with no plan at all, just laid them down in the middle of the day one Sunday afternoon and said I quit! Haven't looked back.

IN the words of a certain sport shoe manufacturer......

JUST DO IT!

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 31 Jul 2009 7:36 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote: when I see a woman/girl smoking a cigarette I automatically think of prostitutes and hookers no matter how well they are dressed or where they are.
:shock: [-X [-X

While I think sms's statement a little over the top I must confess I don't like seeing young girls smoking. Something any young female reading this might like to note; if they eventually bear children the babies are known to be born considerably smaller in size. :(

I gave up smoking about 1981 and when I see the price of packet of cigarettes now (around £6 UK), I have no desire to start again not to mention the potential damage to health.

For the OP if you can't just do it try to find some therapy maybe even hypnotherapy which has worked for some. Failing that search the web for pictures of what it does to your insides you just might be smoke free this evening.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 31 Jul 2009 8:58 am

Plavt wrote: For the OP if you can't just do it try to find some therapy maybe even hypnotherapy which has worked for some. Failing that search the web for pictures of what it does to your insides you just might be smoke free this evening.
Plavt, they don't even have to do that. For the past 5 years or so they have pictures on each and every pack of Ciggies here that show various organ damage as a result of smoking. This follows both the UK, Aus, Malaysia, Thailand and other countries. The manufacturers are required to put those photos on the packages by law. Hasn't helped too much though. Most here have the attitude that "it only happens to someone else. It won't happen to me".

And no, I'm not over the top. It's my personal feeling & thoughts and I'm sure there are many others who feel the same way, truth be known. :wink:

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 31 Jul 2009 3:06 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: This follows both the UK, Aus, Malaysia, Thailand and other countries.
Oops slight blunder but then its been a while since I was in Singapore. A slight correction to your own post; in the UK cigarette packs carry warnings but not pictures and like anywhere that doesn't have much effect. Truth be told over indoctrination and perpetual advertising kill such campaigns.

cleffa3000

Post by cleffa3000 » Sat, 01 Aug 2009 10:07 pm

i knw it hard ...
u see , i have friends who decided to quit smoking but ended smoke after few mths of what they said .

I think why don't u quit them slowly . Like for an example , cut down the no. of cigarette a day and cutting down buying a pack of cigarette too .

i mean that this is what we can help u . It is really need your own determination to quit smoking !

I wish you sucess of doing it !
:D

AndyD
Regular
Regular

Post by AndyD » Wed, 05 Aug 2009 2:24 pm

The worst anti smokers, are ex smokers – case in point with some of the questionable comments in this thread…

Not sure why would it different for a woman, in your 37 years as a smoker did you look like a h*oker?