Singapore Expats

UWC School Trip

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
Pentium

UWC School Trip

Post by Pentium » Thu, 09 Jul 2009 3:50 pm

We were told that our kid should join a school trip. It's not compulsory but expected. My little girl is always with me. It's good for her to be independent but quite hard for me to let go although it's only 3 days.
Can someone share experience about UWC trip?

Thank you

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Fri, 10 Jul 2009 6:42 pm

Sorry, no direct experience with UWC but at our school there is really only pity for the kids who are not allowed to go on the school trips. They miss out on a very valuable life lesson and bonding opportunity with their classmates. I'm not sure how old your child is, but I don't believe it's in any child's best interest to be 'always with you'. That's not good mothering, that's good smothering. Don't keep her home from a school trip because of your insecurities, if she has no medical reason to keep her home, then let her go and enjoy the time off!

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Fri, 10 Jul 2009 8:51 pm

Harsh words, road.not.taken, but quite true - depending on the age of the girl.

'nuff said Image

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Fri, 10 Jul 2009 10:12 pm

Listen... kids and parents need time apart from the very beginning. How can you be a good parent if you are on duty 24 hours a day?

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Sat, 11 Jul 2009 1:07 am

I think at UWC they start doing the school trips really early. I remember when I went to visit they said something like kindergarten goes 1 day, and the primary (6 & 7 yr olds) go for a couple of days. I remember thinking that was really ambitious - but I didn't have children that age so I wasn't an expert. I'm sure there are other people on here who could give you some insight...

Pentium

Post by Pentium » Mon, 13 Jul 2009 7:06 pm

Thank you for replies.
Yes, UWC starts their school trip super early. Grade 3 will have 3 day trip. I think they have trips for all grades.

I agree with Road that mom should not stick with kids too much... just like my case. Way too much and so hard to let go.