Singapore Expats

Can't fathom what's great about Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
cookiesmom

Post by cookiesmom » Thu, 02 Jul 2009 2:42 pm

Couldn't agree more that MOST of Singaporean are selfish, greedy, narrow-minded, stupid, ugly and lame!!!
Not to mention their racism to foreign workers (domestic and construction workers), or even people from China. They treat them like a pest!!
But I have to admit that he country itself is pretty good considering it is a just a tiny dot in the map.
If not because we are being relocated here and got good packages, we would have left this country!!
There are so many examples to justify my comments but ONLY in Singapore (I travel to HK, Taiwan, Indonesia, Thailand, Australia, US, during both my pregnancies too) that people pushes around just to get one step ahead of you, knowing you are heavily pregnant and have a todller in the pram with you!! Ohh, don't get me started.. it happened to me and my other friends.
This is just my personal opinion & experiences. There are few nice Singaporean we met, not many thou...

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Thu, 02 Jul 2009 2:55 pm

cookiesmom wrote:Couldn't agree more that MOST of Singaporean are selfish, greedy, narrow-minded, stupid, ugly and lame!!!
Not to mention their racism to foreign workers (domestic and construction workers), or even people from China. They treat them like a pest!!
But I have to admit that he country itself is pretty good considering it is a just a tiny dot in the map.
If not because we are being relocated here and got good packages, we would have left this country!!
There are so many examples to justify my comments but ONLY in Singapore (I travel to HK, Taiwan, Indonesia, Thailand, Australia, US, during both my pregnancies too) that people pushes around just to get one step ahead of you, knowing you are heavily pregnant and have a todller in the pram with you!! Ohh, don't get me started.. it happened to me and my other friends.
This is just my personal opinion & experiences. There are few nice Singaporean we met, not many thou...
So after only being in Singapore for 2 weeks you've managed to meet nearly 4 million Singaporeans so you were able to make theses statements! That's good going :roll:

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by hibri2 » Thu, 02 Jul 2009 3:08 pm

oh jeeez... troll alert and all, i am a little bit free at the jobbie so what da heck...
cookiesmom wrote:Couldn't agree more that MOST of Singaporean are selfish, greedy, narrow-minded, stupid, ugly and lame!!!
i didn't noticed i have been living in MORDOR all this time! yikes!

cookiesmom wrote: If not because we are being relocated here and got good packages, we would have left this country!!
well, thats it is really silly... i mean, i rather be happy and comfortable than with a few coins in my pocket, but well thats me...

oh wait... lemmie check, that actually makes me feel that you are:

selfish: for just thinking about yourself and moving to a place you hate for money (and annoy me on my lunch time with your comment)

greedy: for putting yourself in mental anguish just for money

narrow-minded
: for not trying to maybe, just maybe understand the local customs and adapt

stupid: it sounds really stupid to me the whole "i hate it here but i got a good package"

ugly: most likely you are most internet forum users are ugly

lame: for not being able to vocalize your frustration better.

would you look at that? you are just in a place with your type of people...
using ONLY in singapore automatically invalidates any possibility of rational exchange with you, that and it sounds like a brat.

anyway, a very good friend told me that when she was pregnant and living in germany (not sure which city) she crossed a street some distance away from the zebra line and the cars refused to stop... so there, you got it... not ONLY in singapore pregnant ladies are a problem.
and that is the reason that opinions are crap... we should be better up with facts.
"Do not pray in my school, and I will not think in your church." - Unknown.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 02 Jul 2009 3:33 pm

hibri2 wrote:oh jeeez... troll alert and all, i am a little bit free at the jobbie so what da heck...
Nah, trolls have some intelligence, albeit, misdirected. cookiesmom just let her bulldog mouth overload her hummingbird arse in a fit of consternation at having been ignored while she moved around with what was probably an imperialistic attitude. Somebody didn't bow down as she expected them to so now she is piqued :P

Guess the heat and humidity here is playing the devil with her comfort levels and being pregnant. :-|
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by hibri2 » Thu, 02 Jul 2009 3:47 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: Nah, trolls have some intelligence, albeit, misdirected. cookiesmom just let her bulldog mouth overload her hummingbird arse in a fit of consternation at having been ignored while she moved around with what was probably an imperialistic attitude. Somebody didn't bow down as she expected them to so now she is piqued :P

Guess the heat and humidity here is playing the devil with her comfort levels and being pregnant. :-|
:-D

with a nickname with "mom" in it and the whole "we are being relocated" (i assume we is she and baby being relocated by hubbie new and high paying job which, crisis and all, it is way better than anything from where they come) sort of makes me feel a little bit bad to pick on her...

hey cookiesmom i apologize and give you this as a token of peace:
expat wifes prayer

Heavenly Father, look down on us your humble obedient expat wives who are doomed to travel this earth following our loved ones through their working lives to lands unknown. We beseech you, oh Lord, to see that our plane is not hijacked or doesn't crash, our luggage is not lost or pillaged and our overweight baggage goes unnoticed.

Give us this day divine guidance in our selection of houses, maids and drivers. We pray that the telephone works, the roof does not leak, the power cuts are few and the rats and cockroaches even fewer.

Lord, please lead us to good, inexpensive restaurants where wine is included in the meal and the food does not cause dysentery. Have mercy upon us Lord if it be the latter, make us fleet of foot, to make the loo in time, and strong of knee in case we have to squat. Also give us the wisdom to tip correctly in currencies we do not understand.

Make the natives love us Lord for who we are and not for what we can contribute to their worldly goods. Grant us the strength to smile at our maids, even though our most treasured dress resembles a rag or they take bleach to clean our well-admired Persian rug.

Give us divine patience when we explain for the hundredth time the way we want things done and Lord if we ever lose our patience and thump them, have mercy on us for our flesh is weak.

Dear God, protect us from so-called "bargains" we don't need and can't afford. Lead us not into temptation for we know not what we do.

Almighty Father, keep our husbands from looking at foreign women and comparing them to us. Save them from making fools of themselves in nightclubs. Above all, please do not forgive their trespasses for they know exactly what they do.

And when our expat years are over Lord, grant us the favor of finding someone who will look at our photographs and listen to our stories, so our lives as expat wives will not have been in vain.

Amen

Source: Unknown
"Do not pray in my school, and I will not think in your church." - Unknown.

macaroonie
Chatter
Chatter

Post by macaroonie » Mon, 13 Jul 2009 11:54 am

I am curious - are there any expats out there who have been here for more than say 1 year who feels the same way as cookiesmum? I agree that being here for 2 weeks isn't enough time to really come to an unbiased opinion about the state of things in this country - but on the flip side if she has been here for 2 weeks only and has constantly experienced such things.. it does also say something else...

Hope things get better for you cookies mum! hang in there...

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Mon, 13 Jul 2009 2:16 pm

macaroonie wrote:I am curious - are there any expats out there who have been here for more than say 1 year who feels the same way as cookiesmum?
Well, it boils down to attitude. If your only reason for coming to Singapore is this...
...then it's a little much to expect love at first sight, no? And these people, who went sent to Singapore against their own wishes, usually do leave in a year or two if they still hate the place.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Mon, 13 Jul 2009 2:20 pm

I know this is ancient, but I have to point this out:
susah_sih wrote:If it matters to you, I am Belgian. I am proud of it and will never switch my nationality into any other nations; it's utterly unthinkable.
She means that in the most literal possible sense: Belgium is one of those few countries that do not allow you to renounce your citizenship for any reason. Once a Belgian, always a Belgian!

And now, we return to our regularly scheduled Belgian joke:
- Quelle est la différence entre un belge et une pomme de terre?
- La pomme de terre se cultive.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

AngMoKio
Regular
Regular

Post by AngMoKio » Mon, 13 Jul 2009 9:00 pm

I don't mean to generalize too much, but a certain segment of the expats I meet that complain seem to hole up in little enclaves where they can spend most of their day bitching to each other about the locals and how they don't want to be where they are.

That has held true in all the numerous countries I have been an expat in, including Mexico, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Tahiti and Fiji (and a few more.)

It seems a universal law and one of the reasons I try to avoid expat groups as a rule. This board is oddly better then most, but sometimes goes down that road.

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Mon, 13 Jul 2009 10:39 pm

AngMoKio wrote:This board is oddly better then most, but sometimes goes down that road.
You haven't heard the locals on this board b&ing about the expats have you? It works both ways.

The irony is that those expats who hate it here will get home to find out that things are just as bad at home... you're just more aware of the "moaners" in an expat environment.

Some scientist with government tax dollars somewhere actually managed to prove that the concept of seeing the past through "rose coloured glasses" is a real phenomeon.

Dealer
Regular
Regular

Post by Dealer » Tue, 14 Jul 2009 11:20 am

cookiesmom wrote:that people pushes around just to get one step ahead of you, knowing you are heavily pregnant and have a todller in the pram with you!!
God that has got me angry I am going to phone North Korea to see if they can nuke us here as that is so awful we don't deserve to live. :mad:

In fact as soon as I have sent this I am going to jump out of the window........

Hi I am back, I forgot I am on the ground floor. :cool:

Pentium

Post by Pentium » Thu, 16 Jul 2009 1:05 pm

I just can't stand causeway traffic and immigration checkpoint. I don't understand why they have to check so much when we go and in and out. Anybody knows? The rest of the country is OK.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 16 Jul 2009 4:11 pm

Pentium wrote:I just can't stand causeway traffic and immigration checkpoint. I don't understand why they have to check so much when we go and in and out. Anybody knows? The rest of the country is OK.
you forgot this:

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Thu, 16 Jul 2009 4:48 pm

Nah, the old bag must be a troll . . . no-one could be that idiotic . . . surely.

'nuff said Image

dazzlebabe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by dazzlebabe » Fri, 17 Jul 2009 11:39 am

Vaucluse wrote:Nah, the old bag must be a troll . . . no-one could be that idiotic . . . surely.
You'll be surprised.... :o
Just me

DazzleBabe