Singapore Expats

Help, please!!!!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
frustrated expat

Help, please!!!!

Post by frustrated expat » Mon, 22 Jun 2009 11:00 am

I am so frustrated. My landlord informed me he want to sell the property one month after we moved in!! Unfortunately, we have signed a 2 years contract!!! For the last 5 months, we have to entertain over 20+ "viewing from potential buyers"!!! Dozens of people just walked around my home and even opened our wardrobe and cupboard!! I feel so helpless and invaded. :( With the current H1N1 outbreak, I am very worried for the safety of my family. Anyone can give me some advise how to handle this??? Is there any privacy policy in Singapore to protect us?? Please help, I think I am at the edge of nerve breakdown!!!! :(

AndyD
Regular
Regular

Post by AndyD » Mon, 22 Jun 2009 11:23 am

I believe that would be in your tenancy agreement, for example mine says something along the lines that I have to allow viewers in, for 2 months prior to the tenancy being up… You would have to have a full read through yours…

Thanks

Andy.

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Mon, 22 Jun 2009 2:31 pm

depends how big your balls are.

Most agreements i've read include "reasonable access" and if you're lucky "by prior appointment"

If you feel this has gone too far then change the locks. and report any infrigement as a break in. As the legal tennant you can do this.

The issue is definition of "reasonable access"

Good luck

Lily Pad

Post by Lily Pad » Tue, 23 Jun 2009 3:45 pm

We went through the same. Have both 'reasonable access' and 'prior appointment' included in our contract.

Initially we were very accommodating but soon it started to drag on. So we informed the agent that the house would be available for inspection one day for a 2 hour slot on the weekend - same day and time every week to avoid potential miscommunications. Landlord's agent had no issues with this arrangement.

frustrated expat

Post by frustrated expat » Fri, 26 Jun 2009 9:41 am

Thanks for all your reply. Looks like we have no privacy in Singapore at all. :x The only thing we can pray for is he sell the property and end all these asap!!! :cry:

lawfmt

Tenancy Agreement

Post by lawfmt » Sat, 27 Jun 2009 11:34 am

frustrated expat wrote:Thanks for all your reply. Looks like we have no privacy in Singapore at all. :x The only thing we can pray for is he sell the property and end all these asap!!! :cry:
Hi pal,
In Singapore, legal agreement you signed, you must abide but there is always a solution by discussing with your agent and landlord. Tell them your problems. Accordingly, most tenanby agreement state that the landlord will view the premises by appointment and if he wishes to sell or for new tenancy, it is always 2 months before the expiry of your signed agreement. So the next agreement you signed, read carefully the fine print. It is reallya lesson to learn from an error. Happy staying in Singapore.

frustrated expat

Post by frustrated expat » Sun, 28 Jun 2009 3:21 pm

well, if it is the last 2 months of our contract, i will not be frustrated at all. However, it is only the start of our 2 years contract!!!!!!! We feel so traped. :x

medwed

Post by medwed » Sun, 28 Jun 2009 8:26 pm

[quote="bigfilsing"]
If you feel this has gone too far then change the locks. and report any infrigement as a break in. As the legal tennant you can do this.
[/quote]

Are you sure the tenant has a right to change the locks? I understand that the landlord has a right to hold a key of the unit - see thread "Landlord's right to hold a key to my condo unit".

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Sun, 28 Jun 2009 9:02 pm

medwed wrote:
bigfilsing wrote: If you feel this has gone too far then change the locks. and report any infrigement as a break in. As the legal tennant you can do this.
Are you sure the tenant has a right to change the locks? I understand that the landlord has a right to hold a key of the unit - see thread "Landlord's right to hold a key to my condo unit".
Correct . . . the tenant has the right to change the locks . . . 'Oops, lost the ley with an address label on it - had to change the locks' . . . and then just fail to meet the landlord because one is soooooo busy.

'nuff said Image

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by EADG » Sun, 28 Jun 2009 9:41 pm

in that case, what's to stop the LL from having a locksmith open the door?
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sun, 28 Jun 2009 11:50 pm

EADG wrote:in that case, what's to stop the LL from having a locksmith open the door?
I don't know about here, but in the UK it would be illegal for the Land Lord to do that while the property was rented out.

It happened to me, when my home got wrecked by junkies, I had a meeting with the police Chief, who warned me of the consequences, but i ignored them and boke in and physically distributed the shit on the garden. Although my home was completely wrecked and I missed a years rent...they are in hiding, but for 200£ any problem can be solved.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 29 Jun 2009 12:00 am

Problem is .....

We're in Singapore.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Mon, 29 Jun 2009 12:04 am

[quote="sundaymorningstaple"]Problem is .....

We're in Singapore, is that a problem! I think yes after living here 25 years, it becomes a problem, we have only been here 4 years and have our own problems to solve :wink: But honestly not a problem compared to the UK, this is heaven.

macaroonie
Chatter
Chatter

Can completely empathise!

Post by macaroonie » Mon, 29 Jun 2009 10:17 am

Frustrated expat!
I can completely empathise with you, i have just gone through exactly the same thing. My landlord gave the keys to his agent without consulting me so she could have access to the flat at any time . They would sometimes forget to inform me and once she just opened the front door at the most inappropriate of times (without knocking!), i was in my pjs!. They came at all hours, 10pm till about 1130pm! sometimes. They made loud noises at night when i was already asleep, and one day i found her sitting upright in the masterbedroom eating! It is a complete invasion of privacy, but then again do privacy rules actually exist here? ( i was told there are no privacy rules here -someone please correct me)..sometimes i wonder why do we bother paying rent - we are renting for the privacy of the space right? Hang in there!

jpatokal

Re: Can completely empathise!

Post by jpatokal » Mon, 29 Jun 2009 10:39 am

macaroonie wrote:I can completely empathise with you, i have just gone through exactly the same thing. My landlord gave the keys to his agent without consulting me so she could have access to the flat at any time . They would sometimes forget to inform me and once she just opened the front door at the most inappropriate of times (without knocking!), i was in my pjs!. They came at all hours, 10pm till about 1130pm! sometimes. They made loud noises at night when i was already asleep, and one day i found her sitting upright in the masterbedroom eating! It is a complete invasion of privacy, but then again do privacy rules actually exist here?
That sounds crazy. What does your contract say?
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague