Singapore Expats

Hiding behind the bus during bus lane hours

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
wteo340

Hiding behind the bus during bus lane hours

Post by wteo340 » Tue, 09 Jun 2009 10:02 pm

I've been on the road for a few years now and gotten pretty much used to the traffic conditions and rules here in Singapore. The other day I was travelling the long stretch of straight road along Yishun and was going to make a left turn but I think I pulled into the bus lane a little too early.

There was a traffic agent with a camera on a tripod stand but I only noticed him as I was passing him (not even a few feet in front) because I was travelling directly behind a bus.

He seemed to be fiddling with the camera so it looked like he was in the stage of setting it up or something. As I looked into my rear view mirror, he was still going at the camera. My question is, what are the chances of your license not being captured by the camera because you are concealed by the bus?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 09 Jun 2009 10:23 pm

Who knows... but we will all know in a few days if you'll post back whether you got a notice in the mail.

NC30
Regular
Regular

Post by NC30 » Wed, 10 Jun 2009 4:21 pm

if he was fiddling with the camera....

maybe fiddling to get your license plate at the back... :P :P

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Mon, 15 Jun 2009 11:30 am

it's annoying because sometimes there's just no way of changing lanes to make that left turn because nobody gives way.

i've decided the best way would be to just smile then GO SLOW or STOP (on the lane next to the bus lane) until i get a gap.

it beats getting a damned ticket or trying to fight it out with the other drivers (including some evil bus drivers).

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sun, 28 Jun 2009 1:17 pm

taxico wrote:it's annoying because sometimes there's just no way of changing lanes to make that left turn because nobody gives way.

i've decided the best way would be to just smile then GO SLOW or STOP (on the lane next to the bus lane) until i get a gap.

it beats getting a damned ticket or trying to fight it out with the other drivers (including some evil bus drivers).
I got a ticket because i was obstructing the bus lane, as the dashed yellow line filters to the bus lane, after a left turn onto the main road. The traffic wouldn't let me in so i entered the bus lane to build up speed and literally had to force my way into the flow of traffic, it's a daily routine and a dangerous one, if your car doesn't have the power to pull away quickly, because the idiots do not slow down and drive bumper to bumper.

I'm thinking of appealing, because i haven't seen any proof and i suspect the bus driver i was blocking just outside the bus lane noted the number, I had no real choice but to enter the bus lane so the bus could move, which was wrong, however peak period and no road curtesy can make it difficult to get in lane and the bus would have been late by a much longer time had i not moved.