Singapore Expats

London vs Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Where to go?

Poll ended at Tue, 30 Jun 2009 8:36 pm

London
60%
Singapore
40%

Total votes: 10

ykota

London vs Singapore

Post by ykota » Thu, 25 Jun 2009 8:36 pm

Hello,

I need an urgent advice since my offer will expire soon.

Which is better:
60,000-65,000 GPB in London or 110,000 SGD in Singapore?

Many thanks

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 26 Jun 2009 12:48 am

:???: and you are a professional?

ykota

Post by ykota » Fri, 26 Jun 2009 3:56 am

ksl wrote::???: and you are a professional?
Yes, and i have an offer from Singapore. But my company where i am currently employed is going to transfer us to London (currently I am in Eastern Europe). I guess the compensation in london would be something like I mentioned.

So, I dont really undestand which is better. Not only in terms of money, but also in quality of life, etc.

If someone can give me a piece of advice that would be great.

Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Zeenit » Fri, 26 Jun 2009 9:07 am

London will be easier to go back and visit your family. Life is not always just about MONEY!!
Zeenit

ykota

Post by ykota » Fri, 26 Jun 2009 2:43 pm

Zeenit wrote:London will be easier to go back and visit your family. Life is not always just about MONEY!!
I also think so, but i live on my own from 15. So I got used to be apart from my family very long time ago. And i am not married.

In any case is there much difference how long it take to fly home 4 or 10 hours? I dont think so.

But the question was not only about money. But if money can buy twice better living why not choose money?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 26 Jun 2009 3:31 pm

ykota wrote:
Yes, and i have an offer from Singapore. But my company where i am currently employed is going to transfer us to London (currently I am in Eastern Europe). I guess the compensation in london would be something like I mentioned.

So, I dont really undestand which is better. Not only in terms of money, but also in quality of life, etc.

A professional that needs advice, and a professional that says, very little about is circumstance, until now about being single, kids, family and so on, makes me wonder what kind of professional you are.

The easiest thing in the world for any professional is to check out the personal allowances available before tax, and check the tax rates along with Council tax on the kind of property you will rent. I'm out of touch with UK tax rates, but i would have thought you will be paying 50% in tax on 60K and above, not sure and much less here.

And being British I may also be biased, although the Country itself is more beautiful than Singapore. Life is what you make of it, wherever you are!

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 26 Jun 2009 5:37 pm

ksl wrote: I'm out of touch with UK tax rates, but i would have thought you will be paying 50% in tax on 60K and above, not sure and much less here.
20% below about 35K (not sure of the exact figure) 40% above. Don't know what will happen after the next election irrespective of who gets in, probably won't be pleasant! :x :(

ykota

Post by ykota » Fri, 26 Jun 2009 5:58 pm

ksl wrote:
ykota wrote:

A professional that needs advice, and a professional that says, very little about is circumstance, until now about being single, kids, family and so on, makes me wonder what kind of professional you are.

The easiest thing in the world for any professional is to check out the personal allowances available before tax, and check the tax rates along with Council tax on the kind of property you will rent. I'm out of touch with UK tax rates, but i would have thought you will be paying 50% in tax on 60K and above, not sure and much less here.

And being British I may also be biased, although the Country itself is more beautiful than Singapore. Life is what you make of it, wherever you are!
Ok, I do understand that details matters and I didnt want to overload the post with details. I was seeking for a poll results maybe. But details matters. Here they are:

1. 31, single, no kids, opened to new experience.
2. Net income is almost the same in both cases (about 4200GBP/month)
So its not about the money. But what this money can buy.

I`ve been several times to UK from London to Glasgow and I like it. But I remember how expensive living in London was. I can easily imagine myself spending all earning in London. I think (but no sure) the rented property for the same money will be better in Singapore. Am I right? A lot of travel opportunities etc. Less forex exposure in Singapore.

Again I think local people treat expats better in Singapore then in London. I assume that Londoners tend to think of people coming to their country as a potential risk to their workplaces etc. Again I am not aware of this. This is just my humble opinion. And I what to know opion of other people.

On the other hand, hot warm climate is not I used to live in.

So, what made you move to Singapore?

My be the question was:

Being a foreigner with relatively the same income what you would prefer to go and live in London or in Singapore?

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 26 Jun 2009 6:10 pm

£4200 net per month is way over what most Britons have, much depends on where you care to live. I think you could rent a flat for around £1000 per month excluding bills and council tax which will vary depending where you live. As regards where you live it needn't be a s*** hole. Although I would point out the more desirable areas tend to be outward from central London so you could find yourself with some tiresome train journeys but that's worth it for the peace and quiet you are more likely to find in more rural or suburban areas.

On the other hand if you want to be at work in a short time, love travelling in Asia then maybe Singapore will serve you better.

LoriW
Regular
Regular

Post by LoriW » Fri, 26 Jun 2009 6:37 pm

I'd say £4.2k would be lovely in the UK! Certainly if I was on that sort of money I'd be staying in the UK - but that's because it's my home. I wouldn't choose to live in London but somewhere more rural and commutable.

My reasons for choosing the UK? Seasons, weather (rather than just hot and humid). Space - yes, there are other parts of the world with more space but compared with Singapore ........

In the UK, you can live in a house and with £4.2k, quite a nice one at that with land. In Singapore you might just be able to afford a house but it won't have a decent sized garden.

Cars ......... certainly you can buy whatever car you choose in Singapore- at a price, but what on earth is the point of having a performance car if you can't actually enjoy it and spend most of your time sitting in traffic?

Pets? Open spaces where cats, dogs, horses can lead fun, natural lives!

My reasons for moving to Singapore are to earn more money than I'm currently on (which isn't a great deal) so I can save a bit, and for the career and life experience. Also to be able to spend some quality time with the more elderly members of my family.

I shall miss my house, my cat, my car and my partner but I've been presented with an opportunity which almost certainly won't occur again.

For someone young, free and single such as yourself, Singapore could be a fun place to live if you want an amazing life experience and want the opportunity to travel the far east.

As for the working experience, the sort of salary you're talking about isn't really the sort of salary which folk will say "but oh he's taking local jobs".

Both are expensive places to live - it all depends on your lifestyle choice!

ykota

Post by ykota » Fri, 26 Jun 2009 7:07 pm

Sorry was mistaken not 4200 GBP/month, but 42000 GBP/year which is obviously less. 3500GBP/month.

I cannot choose my location in UK unfornutatelly. I will be working for my current employer - so this can be only London.

And again.

1. I have an offer in Singapore. {different employer}
2. They say they are going to transfer us shortly, but they have no obligation, and can offer less than I expect. {same employer}

Is cost of living in Singapore and London comparable to each other?

LoriW
Regular
Regular

Post by LoriW » Fri, 26 Jun 2009 7:24 pm

I cannot choose my location in UK unfornutatelly. I will be working for my current employer - so this can be only London
Plenty of people who work in London don't live in London! That's the joy of living in the UK that you can work and play in the heart of the metropolis and go home to fresh air and the sound of birds tweeting!

£42kpa is a "reasonable" salary but financially, you will be better off in Singapore even though the cost of living is pretty much the same. It it was >£60kpa then you would be very comfortable!

ykota

Post by ykota » Fri, 26 Jun 2009 7:31 pm

LoriW wrote:
I cannot choose my location in UK unfornutatelly. I will be working for my current employer - so this can be only London
Plenty of people who work in London don't live in London! That's the joy of living in the UK that you can work and play in the heart of the metropolis and go home to fresh air and the sound of birds tweeting!

£42kpa is a "reasonable" salary but financially, you will be better off in Singapore even though the cost of living is pretty much the same. It it was >£60kpa then you would be very comfortable!
£42kpa is net income, taxable amount is £62kpa

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Fri, 26 Jun 2009 7:33 pm

ykota wrote:Sorry was mistaken not 4200 GBP/month, but 42000 GBP/year which is obviously less. 3500GBP/month.

I cannot choose my location in UK unfornutatelly. I will be working for my current employer - so this can be only London.

And again.

1. I have an offer in Singapore. {different employer}
2. They say they are going to transfer us shortly, but they have no obligation, and can offer less than I expect. {same employer}

Is cost of living in Singapore and London comparable to each other?
42k PA sterling would equate to 2,5k take home a month

Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Zeenit » Fri, 26 Jun 2009 7:34 pm

Western food is the same price as the UK. We just came back.
Coffee and slice of cake is 5.00 pound..........here it is $10.00

Beer in Clarke Quay is $15.00 a pint, at a local food stall $5.00 but its tiger Beer and Singa not western brands

Asian food is cheap and if you happy eating local then you might be ok. It you can only eat Western you might seriuosly think before allowing $100k to seem alot.

Good Luck
Zeenit