Singapore Expats

Planning my move to Sinapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Hammer91

Planning my move to Sinapore

Post by Hammer91 » Fri, 05 Jun 2009 10:08 pm

Hello to everyone,

My name is Jaime and i am from Sydney.

I am considering a move to Singapore next year after i finish my uni degree to live and work.

I am going to Singapore in a month to have a look at the wonderful city and asses the areas i want to live and life in Singapore generally. I am only going to be there for a week.

Can you guys let me know the areas to live which are cheap, clean and safe.

Also do you think there is anything i must do while i am here, which will help me decide.

Thanks in advance.
Young and Naive

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 05 Jun 2009 11:35 pm

Everywhere is clean and safe. Cheap... backpacker areas in little India and Chinatown... also some hostels on Ballestier Road... don't confuse them with the 'love' hotels.

At this point in time you should only consider your trip as a learning experience... in the best of time foreigners with no practical experience are at a disadvantage to gain the necessary work permits... now, it is even worse.

wcs
Chatter
Chatter

Post by wcs » Sat, 20 Jun 2009 7:15 am

Good luck on your new adventure.

If you are certain you want to come to Singapore, have just graduated and are under 31 you might like to apply for a working holiday visa here. That would let you reside in Singapore for 6 months and be able to work here.

http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal ... ramme.html

But as StrongEagle mentioned job hunting at the moment is tough. If you are not worried about getting paid anymore than you need to survive and want an adventure, then come over. The advantage of 6 months here is you get a better feel for the place as opposed to the highlight reel that a week gives you.

applejooze

Post by applejooze » Thu, 25 Jun 2009 2:01 pm

Strong Eagle is right, just about everywhere here is clean and safe. This is really one of the few cities in the world where lone women can go out till late and survive it. :)

Let's hope the economy will be in better shape when you graduate next year.