Singapore Expats

Help on my Mainframe offer in singapore and salary

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Senthilarumugam

Help on my Mainframe offer in singapore and salary

Post by Senthilarumugam » Wed, 24 Jun 2009 2:23 pm

Hi,

I am currently working in India as a mainframe developer and getting a salary of 1200S$ pm which is reasonaly above than average. Recently I have been offered for a mainframe job in singapore for 2800S$ pm and the job is for 1 year contract. I have another offer from a well known s/w company in India where they offering me 1400 S$ and perm job... this is also a good salary here.

Since I am keen to work in singapore I am in a plan to accept singapore offer...but the future questioning me a lot :mad: . How about the mainframe market in singapore? Will it be easy to get another one after 1 year? what are the possibilities of extending the contracts in singapore? otherwise will that be better to chose the india offer? Please give me your suggestions.

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Thu, 25 Jun 2009 12:18 pm

There's zero job security in Singapore, even "permanent" positions can be fired at the drop of a hat, and costs here are much higher than India. So my gut feel would be that the S$1400 permanent job in India is a better choice.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

Senthilarumugam

Post by Senthilarumugam » Thu, 25 Jun 2009 2:27 pm

Thanks for ur reply Jp! The agency which offer me the job is currently applied for my EP in singapore. If i say them that i m not interested in the offer, will that impact me in anyway? like.. future entry in singapore or any legal questions from agency?

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Fri, 26 Jun 2009 10:25 am

Senthilarumugam wrote:Thanks for ur reply Jp! The agency which offer me the job is currently applied for my EP in singapore. If i say them that i m not interested in the offer, will that impact me in anyway?
No. An EP application has no legal force at all, only an actual EP (which means you've come to Singapore and signed for it) does.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague