Singapore Expats

LTSVP for parents

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
missy81

LTSVP for parents

Post by missy81 » Wed, 24 Jun 2009 11:21 am

Hi, I'm a P2 holder from the States and I plan to apply for ltsvp for my parents. I noticed that there are two ways to apply for this, either through EP or as SPR. I know the difference lies in who will sponsoring my parents. With EP, my company will act as the sponsor but as a SPR, I will be acting as the sponsor for them.

If I was to apply for it as a SPR and once they have received the pass, can I go back to the States and not stay in Singapore? I have relatives in Singapore and Malaysia so my parents will most likely come by to visit from time to time. Will their pass be affected if I am not in Singapore?

Also, since I'll need to submit my birth certificate and my mom remarried, will I be able to apply for my stepfather using their marriage certificate? ( I called MOM but they're unable to get an answer for me :(

They also want proof of income tax for the past 3 years. If I've only become a PR recently, can I use the income tax from the States?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: LTSVP for parents

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 24 Jun 2009 11:49 am

missy81 wrote:Hi, I'm a P2 holder from the States and I plan to apply for ltsvp for my parents. I noticed that there are two ways to apply for this, either through EP or as SPR. I know the difference lies in who will sponsoring my parents. With EP, my company will act as the sponsor but as a SPR, I will be acting as the sponsor for them.

If I was to apply for it as a SPR and once they have received the pass, can I go back to the States and not stay in Singapore? I have relatives in Singapore and Malaysia so my parents will most likely come by to visit from time to time. Will their pass be affected if I am not in Singapore?

Also, since I'll need to submit my birth certificate and my mom remarried, will I be able to apply for my stepfather using their marriage certificate? ( I called MOM but they're unable to get an answer for me :(

They also want proof of income tax for the past 3 years. If I've only become a PR recently, can I use the income tax from the States?
If you are able to get SPR, yes you can get an LTSVP for your parents.

You would probably need your US tax returns as well as letters & payvouchers supporting your current employment & salary.

Now comes the tricky part. If you return to the US, once your REP (re-entry permit) expires (5 years from receiving PR) you will have to renew it. This will be very difficult if you are in the US and no longer working in Singapore. You will also have to present 3 years tax returns as well. The last three tax returns would need to show your income as being sourced in Singapore else your will not be granted a renewed re-entry permit. That would result in you losing your PR. Once you lose your PR, your parents would lose their VISA as well.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Wed, 24 Jun 2009 12:01 pm

I getting a tad confused as start off by saying you are on a EP, then you mention you're a PR :?

If you are a PR you can't also hold a EP, so which one are you?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 24 Jun 2009 12:42 pm

She's a P2 EP holder who wants to apply for SPR.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Wed, 24 Jun 2009 1:02 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:She's a P2 EP holder who wants to apply for SPR.
But she says she's only become a SPR recently :?

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Post by littlegreenman » Wed, 24 Jun 2009 3:43 pm

Saint wrote:
She said "IF I've only become PR recently..." ie hypotheticaly speaking.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Wed, 24 Jun 2009 4:18 pm

littlegreenman wrote:
Saint wrote:
The word RECENTLY would imply in the past so currently a SPR

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Post by littlegreenman » Wed, 24 Jun 2009 4:33 pm

Saint wrote:
littlegreenman wrote:
Saint wrote: But she says she's only become a SPR recently :?
The word RECENTLY would imply in the past so currently a SPR
But the IF changes the meaning of the RECENTLY. She is basically asking if after she has taken up PR and it is only a short while later when she applies for the LTSVP, whether she then in this case has to provide the US tax returns. Basically asking what if she applies a very short time after she is granted PR. That is at least how I read it.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 24 Jun 2009 5:45 pm

That's also how I read it as well, hence my replies.