Singapore Expats

Cooler Climate with beach and R&R

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
nytosg

Cooler Climate with beach and R&R

Post by nytosg » Sat, 06 Jun 2009 2:53 pm

After living here for a year ++, things are getting stale and boring.

Can anyone suggest a nice quiet, ok...not that quiet, relaxed location for a weekend trip? Must have a much much cooler climate and way lower humidity.

Would be ideal if it has activities for the family as well.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Sat, 06 Jun 2009 3:41 pm

Perth, Australia. Or more specifically Eagle Bay. Lovely beaches, mostly deserted. Fantastic food and wine, gorgeous climate. Can you wait til March? That's the best time to go, the water is warm, but it's off season.

nytosg

Post by nytosg » Sat, 06 Jun 2009 4:47 pm

Hi Road not Taken,

Is Perth ok for weekend trip? How long's the flight?

I can wait till March next year to go but I need somewhere to go soon. I'm going nuts in this concrete jungle.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Sat, 06 Jun 2009 5:24 pm

The flight is 4.5 hours. Just a weekend would be tough. Freemantle and Rottnest island would be fun with the kids.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 06 Jun 2009 7:40 pm

Also consider Brisbane and the Gold Coast. There are some fantastic places to stay in the mountainous region as well... fine forests... interesting wildlife and accommodations from the very spartan to the very luxurious. Ditto on March/April being the best time.

langkawi06

Post by langkawi06 » Thu, 18 Jun 2009 9:06 pm

we have only been here 3 months and are desperate to get away from the heat and the shopping malls! we've been told that at this time of year Bali is perfect, low humidity - which is key for us - hope this helps and at least it is only a couple of hours away!

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Thu, 18 Jun 2009 9:38 pm

langkawi06 - I'm not sure who told you that Bali is low humidity... the weather is very similar to Singapore - may be a bit less humid especially on the beach - but you'll still be hot. In fact, I find July/August in Bali to be unrelentingly hot (no rain) - but I love it b/c I'm a hot weather gal. Maybe they recommended going this time of year b/c you won't have to worry about rain?

langkawi06

Post by langkawi06 » Thu, 18 Jun 2009 9:52 pm

I didn't believe it when people were telling me Bali was cool and low humidity... thought they were all crazy... and that they been living out here too long... so anything with a little breeze and slightly lower humidity seems great to them... but I googled it and Bali is 55% humidity...

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Thu, 18 Jun 2009 9:55 pm

Yahoo weather has it at 79%.... it's still a lovely vacation - just hot :)