Singapore Expats

Places in SG that are 'countryside'y/far-out,dog-friendly?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
nushk

Places in SG that are 'countryside'y/far-out,dog-friendly?

Post by nushk » Thu, 11 Jun 2009 8:40 pm

I have the car this weekend! yes! and so I want to use this weekend wisely.

I have a friendly large dog, and I want to go to places that are otherwise quite inaccessible without a car, and dog-friendly too. Any interesting places?

I have in mind some of the usual spots: Botanic Gardens, Ivy-Singh's Farm/Bistro, East Coast Park, Sentosa..

Where else? Please help. I am not very familiar with the more nature-y bits of Singapore. (sheepish)

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Thu, 11 Jun 2009 8:57 pm

Just please don't join the merry throng of law-breakers at the Botanical Gardens whose dogs run free despite signs that state that they should be on a lead. I haven't been there for a long time because last time our picnic was totally ruined by dogs running amok there. No offense intended and good luck with your search!
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

blue_thunder
Chatter
Chatter

Post by blue_thunder » Thu, 11 Jun 2009 8:59 pm

ozchick wrote:Just please don't join the merry throng of law-breakers at the Botanical Gardens whose dogs run free despite signs that state that they should be on a lead.
i think ozchick meant leash

cheers~
~ I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me

hamamatsu1999

Post by hamamatsu1999 » Thu, 11 Jun 2009 10:04 pm

You can bring your dog to Macritchie Reservoir! Not sure if dogs are allowed thou. If it is, it will be great.

LoriW
Regular
Regular

Post by LoriW » Thu, 11 Jun 2009 11:06 pm

I'd say it depends on where you're from ;) In England it's "lead" - because you lead your dog with it!

I'm not sure where is dog friendly and where isn't, but for a bit of inaccessible without a car and wild, Sungei Buloh nature reserve has to be one, I'm pretty sure that Little Guilin (Bukit Gombak MRT) must be dog friendly, the walks across the ridges - we started at Alexandra Road, walked through Hort Park to Mount Faber, then retraced our steps and went to Telok Blangah - all along footpaths and bridges through the treetops.

Pulau Ubin is also somewhere natural and open - take a bum boat from Changi and hire mountain bikes on the island.

I'm pretty sure the reservoirs aren't dog friendly but MacRitchie is the biggest. Pierce Reservoir is a lovely spot too though.

Beloved and I have made a point of finding out where the open spaces are before I move out there since we currently live in a rural location in South West England and I totally avoided visiting Singapore for 20 years or so simply because I wanted nothing to do with the whole concept of being in a built up metropolis.

I still remember visiting .... I think in the mid 1970s a relative (a great uncle I think) who lived in an attap hut somewhere in singapore - all gone now! I remember right up to about 1990 going and wandering through the "forest" at the back of my Aunt's house (Thomson Ridge) - not sure if there is still forest there - probably not but the original house has been bulldozed and replaced by a modern monstrosity!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 11 Jun 2009 11:07 pm

blue_thunder wrote:
ozchick wrote:Just please don't join the merry throng of law-breakers at the Botanical Gardens whose dogs run free despite signs that state that they should be on a lead.

cheers~
No, she meant lead.

▸ noun: restraint consisting of a rope (or light chain) used to restrain an animal
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nushk

Post by nushk » Thu, 11 Jun 2009 11:24 pm

ozchick wrote:Just please don't join the merry throng of law-breakers at the Botanical Gardens whose dogs run free despite signs that state that they should be on a lead. I haven't been there for a long time because last time our picnic was totally ruined by dogs running amok there. No offense intended and good luck with your search!
oh no, I don't let my dog offleash unless it is in a fenced dog park or my very small neighbourhood park in the middle of the night when nobody is around. I find that most dog owners here who let their dog offleash (at least in my neighbourhood) do NOT pick up the dogs' poop, letting them pee/poop anywhere. vile, disgusting people.

LoriW,
thanks for the suggestions! especially ubin. do you think it's possible to bring along my dog on the bum boat to ubin? she'll always be leashed, and she's a very good dog..

LoriW
Regular
Regular

Post by LoriW » Fri, 12 Jun 2009 12:19 am

LoriW,
thanks for the suggestions! especially ubin. do you think it's possible to bring along my dog on the bum boat to ubin? she'll always be leashed, and she's a very good dog..
Sadly, I'm inclined to say no :( Singaporeans (or at least Singaporean Chinese - I'm allowed to say this because that is my heritage) have a very bad attitude towards animals.

Being born and brought up in England, I love animals, have had cats, dogs, horses all my life. There is an innate feeling amongst most of the population that animals are dirty - yes, even the pampered Shih Tzus, Pekes and Schnauzers who are so adored by their owners! This means that they cuddle them, treat them as child substitutes, then frantically was and disinfect themselves!

I can only imagine that if you tried to take a normal, well behaved but large dog on the bumboat to Pulau Ubin, the rest of the passengers would jump overboard!! ;) Pity really since I think she would simply love it there! It's open spaces to run, air to breathe, everything you don't find in the CBD or Orchard Rd!

Oh and before I get criticised for being sooo awful about a country which will be my residence and workplace for the next 3 years, I have plenty of good reasons for going, just not the heat, the people (as a general sweeping statement), the metropolis, the shops!

blue_thunder
Chatter
Chatter

Post by blue_thunder » Fri, 12 Jun 2009 9:50 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
blue_thunder wrote:

cheers~
No, she meant lead.

▸ noun: restraint consisting of a rope (or light chain) used to restrain an animal

Okay,
My bad...thought it was a typo by ozchick..

Cheers.
~ I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Sat, 13 Jun 2009 1:15 pm

blue_thunder wrote:

cheers~
No, she meant lead.

Ah my ever-reliable Farm-boy...
There is none so wise as me and thee! :wink:
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

blue_thunder
Chatter
Chatter

Post by blue_thunder » Sat, 13 Jun 2009 6:32 pm

ozchick wrote:
blue_thunder wrote: i think ozchick meant leash

cheers~
No, she meant lead.

Ah my ever-reliable Farm-boy...
There is none so wise as me and thee! :wink:
:D

citygirl

Post by citygirl » Thu, 18 Jun 2009 2:22 am

West Coast Park dog run is immense. It's quite comfortable for the owners too as there are several shaded picnic tables. The rest of the park is quite massive and beautiful as well.

http://www.timeoutsingapore.com/aroundt ... n-spot-run