Singapore Expats

Laptop battery

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Reika

Laptop battery

Post by Reika » Wed, 10 Jun 2009 9:38 pm

Hi,

I need some advices regarding laptop battery. Recently my kid’s T43 Thinkpad was fried by lightning; luckily it was still under warranty so I send it for repair. After the repair, I noticed that the CMOS battery was either broken/drained because the date/time error kept popping out every time the laptop restarted. Everything else is working fine.

The repairer was willing to change the CMOS battery but he also told me that the main laptop battery is partially damaged (not covered by warranty) so it might drain the CMOS again or damage the Motherboard if not replaced. The damaged main battery itself can still be used, though not as long (last only about 45 min fully charged)

I would like to know whether what he said is true (how high is the chance of the main battery to destroy other parts?). Is it worth it to buy a new battery? Considering that my son seldom carried it around and the new battery is quite expensive
‘S$165’ (for such an old laptop).

Thank you

Reika

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Wed, 10 Jun 2009 10:13 pm

the internal CMOS battery should not be "drain" if the main battery is faulty or not slotted in. i remove the battery on my lenovo as i am always using the main for one of the laptop in the office. if the laptop is not being use away from main power, then there's no need to purchase a new battery. battery doesnt like to be charged all the time as it will decrease their recharge cycle.

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Thu, 11 Jun 2009 2:16 am

I agree the CMOS bat is completely independant from the main battery( thats the whole point of the CMOS bat). It will not / should not be effected in any way by any external power source including the Lap top battery.

Reika

Post by Reika » Thu, 11 Jun 2009 6:51 am

durain wrote:the internal CMOS battery should not be "drain" if the main battery is faulty or not slotted in. i remove the battery on my lenovo as i am always using the main for one of the laptop in the office. if the laptop is not being use away from main power, then there's no need to purchase a new battery. battery doesnt like to be charged all the time as it will decrease their recharge cycle.
bigfilsing wrote:I agree the CMOS bat is completely independant from the main battery( thats the whole point of the CMOS bat). It will not / should not be effected in any way by any external power source including the Lap top battery.
That's good to hear :) thank you very much for the advices guys... I will just let him use the laptop with main power till whenever it break down.

Just curious, Is there any good places to look for PC in Singapore other than Sim Lim Square? Been here for a year+ but still very much clueless XD

Thank again guys

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Thu, 11 Jun 2009 11:07 am

Reika wrote:Just curious, Is there any good places to look for PC in Singapore other than Sim Lim Square? Been here for a year+ but still very much clueless XD
Funan IT Mall. The huge Challenger store on the top floor is a pretty safe bet.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Post by littlegreenman » Thu, 11 Jun 2009 4:14 pm

Reika,

you can try the PC Show at Suntec over the weekend (URL CENSORED DUE TO COPYRIGHT ISSUES) It is always possible to find a good bargain there.

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Asian_Geekette » Thu, 11 Jun 2009 4:35 pm

littlegreenman wrote:Reika,

you can try the PC Show at Suntec over the weekend (URL CENSORED DUE TO COPYRIGHT ISSUES) It is always possible to find a good bargain there.
Just a friendly advice Reika, if you're going to the PC Show, make sure you wear boots or closed shoes. Not sandals. Or else you may have your toes stepped on when you're in the exhibit area and limp for days. :(
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Post by littlegreenman » Thu, 11 Jun 2009 4:47 pm

Asian_Geekette wrote: Just a friendly advice Reika, if you're going to the PC Show, make sure you wear boots or closed shoes. Not sandals. Or else you may have your toes stepped on when you're in the exhibit area and limp for days. :(
Sound slike some painful memories there...

AngMoKio
Regular
Regular

Post by AngMoKio » Thu, 11 Jun 2009 11:58 pm

Dumb question but since when is a URL copyrightable????? I don't think it works that way - even in singapore.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 12 Jun 2009 2:13 am

Internal cmos battery is not effected by internal battery, this speaks for itself....The internal CMOS battery is for the motherboard data only, the majority of consumers throw away their computers simply becuase the CMOS battery has run down and the computer cannot start, because the internal motherboard memory is lost so they think it is knackered. it is not! CMOS batteries can last from 1 year to 5 years, depending on the quality and price you are paying although the salesman would never tell you that, because all computers are guaranteed for at least 1 year and some 3 years. to get a 5 year battery, your are talking top of the range computer 1k pound sterling plus for a 3 year battery and over 2k for a 5 year on notebooks. desk tops too have the same qualifications with 3 years in the range of 1k and 1.5k and possibily 5 years above that price..

Bullshit in the sense that computer repair technicians take advantage of the battery failure to extract every penny from the consumer is true in many cases, its all about ethics in the majority of cases and many people are greedy. It cost no more than 30$ for a new CMOS battery although the fundamentals of the computer have to be reinstalled, at most 25£ in UK, then they have to reinstall windows, which again is another ripoff, some charging 85 to a 100£ for something that takes 10 minutes to set up, the installation runs itself, but may take several hours. That's what they are charging for.

It's a simple procedure that most people without experience can accomplish with little effort to install the windows OS but the replacement of the CMOS and reinstallation of the fundamentals takes a little more knowledge, and i would say is well worth 50$ to 80$ because it is the ability to do it, and it takes maybe 1 or 2 hrs. in UK this would be the biggest expense...at around 50 to 80 pound.... I used to do it free for the experience of building computers, because they are not all identical, although it is long ago now.

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Fri, 12 Jun 2009 11:00 am

AngMoKio wrote:Dumb question but since when is a URL copyrightable????? I don't think it works that way - even in singapore.
Would you like to sponsor the site's legal bills while we find out?

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/ftopic45505.html
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Post by littlegreenman » Fri, 12 Jun 2009 4:18 pm

jpatokal wrote:
AngMoKio wrote:Dumb question but since when is a URL copyrightable????? I don't think it works that way - even in singapore.
Would you like to sponsor the site's legal bills while we find out?

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/ftopic45505.html
Oh my... now I remember why I wanted to leave Singapore... the small nonsensical things that are so important. After two years in messed up Britain I am now willing to just follow law.

Reika

Post by Reika » Fri, 12 Jun 2009 4:45 pm

@ jpatokal, littlegreenman,

Thank for the info ^_^ I will check out those places this weekends. Maybe we will get lucky...

@ Asian_Geekette

O.o ouch that's sound scary...No worry!! I will wear my hubby climbing boots then :twisted: hopefully they fit :roll:

@ksl

Thank you for posting such detailed explanation. Appreciate it :D

AngMoKio
Regular
Regular

Post by AngMoKio » Fri, 12 Jun 2009 9:19 pm

jpatokal wrote: Would you like to sponsor the site's legal bills while we find out?
Was there some history there? I assume this link then was to the Straits Times.

I can understand prohibiting cut-paste of entire articles, but not allowing links serves only to deprive them of revenue and potential 'eyeballs'

Care to elaborate?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 12 Jun 2009 9:47 pm

AngMoKio wrote:
jpatokal wrote: Would you like to sponsor the site's legal bills while we find out?
Was there some history there? I assume this link then was to the Straits Times.

I can understand prohibiting cut-paste of entire articles, but not allowing links serves only to deprive them of revenue and potential 'eyeballs'

Care to elaborate?
You are absolutely correct but the marketing geniuses over there don't seem to see it that way. Insular, you might say.