Singapore Expats

Logo Design

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
ukdesigner
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ukdesigner » Tue, 09 Jun 2009 11:52 pm

sorry I don't know the courses here. Check the NUS site or maybe the republic singapore one.

Just be aware that some design courses get very artsy fartsy and don't reflect the real world.
Don't p*ss me off! I am running out of places to hide the bodies.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 09 Jun 2009 11:54 pm

You can also try LaSalle and NAFA (Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Wed, 10 Jun 2009 12:04 am

thanks! what software do they use here?? coz back home they use pagemaker and photoshop.

ukdesigner
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ukdesigner » Wed, 10 Jun 2009 5:51 pm

the main programs are

Adobe InDesign, illustrator & photoshop.

You might find companies here still use pagemaker although this has been dead and buried for year as is also Freehand... an awful app in my opinion but they seem to love it here! Also there's Quark but that's not used as much as indesign these days.

Then you have flash, dreamweaver, php / html text editors, fireworks and many others but these are web programs.

Just be careful that you don't fall into the trap of being a "jack of all trades and a master of none". Concentrate on the one field. Web designers tend not to be good print designers and vice versa, regardless of what singapore companies think here.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Wed, 10 Jun 2009 10:13 pm

ukdesigner wrote:the main programs are

Adobe InDesign, illustrator & photoshop.

You might find companies here still use pagemaker although this has been dead and buried for year as is also Freehand... an awful app in my opinion but they seem to love it here! Also there's Quark but that's not used as much as indesign these days.

Then you have flash, dreamweaver, php / html text editors, fireworks and many others but these are web programs.

Just be careful that you don't fall into the trap of being a "jack of all trades and a master of none". Concentrate on the one field. Web designers tend not to be good print designers and vice versa, regardless of what singapore companies think here.
im more into print...as it is more connected to my actual career. But do you think this will still be a good career in the future? coz isnt there more on animation now and those things... sorry im asking so many questions lol ;0

ukdesigner
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ukdesigner » Wed, 10 Jun 2009 10:16 pm

there will always be print. People like the feel of print but you also need to know the fundamentals of web too, just the basics but you should know about it.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Wed, 10 Jun 2009 10:20 pm

oh okay thanks alot for the help! il think about it and start saving up ;)