Singapore Expats

Starhub - Don't let them rip you off!

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Saint
Director
Director

Starhub - Don't let them rip you off!

Post by Saint » Tue, 09 Jun 2009 10:47 am

Not sure if how many others are in the same situation as us but last week Starhub kindly informed us by letter that they would no longer be providing the Ultimate Cable TV plan. Basically this cost us about $110 per month for virtually every channel which was ideal in our circumstance. The letter kindly suggested what channels we could choose for a discounted price for 12 months which would only cost us $115 per month for half the current channels we get. We've also got 16 months left of our 2 year contract so would have to pay full price for last 4 months!

Just over a week ago, someone from Starhub Marketing dept phone up Mrs S to enquire if we are happy to go with the suggested plan. Mrs S politely say no as would loose half the channels. The Starhub person then said as you are Expats you wouldn't need the Chinese speaking channels (Mrs S took my surname when married and is the Starhub acc holder). Mrs replied in Mandarin just what she thought of their assumptions and that we will be going to one of their service centres to bang table!

So we duly went of to Tampines and sat with this poor young customer service guy for over an hour until we came out with a package which included the channels we wanted, for the price we wanted and for the whole remaining 16 months. In the end the guy gave us ever discount he could possibly give us just to keep us happy!

So if anyone is in the same situation, just go and bang table!

akhild
Regular
Regular

Post by akhild » Tue, 09 Jun 2009 11:05 am

this whole episode is becoming such a PR bludner for starhub.
i have used starhub (all 3services) for the last 10 years, and now i really wish that singtel bumps up its mio service so i can pull the plug on starhub. they have really taken it too far...

patsy_sg
Regular
Regular

Post by patsy_sg » Tue, 09 Jun 2009 11:20 am

The annoying thing is that they do all they can to attract new customers, but give no perks at all to loyal customers who have been with them for years!

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Tue, 09 Jun 2009 5:44 pm

It really is terrible. They clearly don;t get it.

The Ultimate package doesn't include a TV guide :shock: When i pointed out that it could hardly be considered ultimate without the TV guide my comment fell on deaf ears.

Internet TV and legal downloads are becoming a serious option here! Add to that the increasing availabilty and affordability of home network/ wireless based media players and you can see SH's market declining.

Anywhere else and the cable company would argue the signal quality but that doesn;t wash here either. The quality here is down right disgraceful but of course without any competition why should they worry i guess.

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Tue, 09 Jun 2009 5:46 pm

bigfilsing - TV guides - they have the EPG which has just gone to 4 days (not much help though). I do recall seeing you can get a printed monthly guide but I believe it costs. Happy to look it up if that would help. HTH, Mr. P

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Wed, 10 Jun 2009 8:06 am

sierra2469alpha wrote:bigfilsing - TV guides - they have the EPG which has just gone to 4 days (not much help though). I do recall seeing you can get a printed monthly guide but I believe it costs. Happy to look it up if that would help. HTH, Mr. P
No need thanks. It was more my amazment at the "Ultimate" package not containing the SH guide.

I find myself downloading more and more TV > Most of which has been shown here and as i pay SH for it i see it as personal copy much like if i had recorded it. I doubt this would wash in court but heh live TV is nearly unwatchable.
Continual interuptions for adverts drive me insane. It wouldn't be so bad if they were genuine ads but it's the same drivel from SH about their mediocre offering. Often they interupt a program i'm watching to advertise ..............the program i'm watching :mad:

I'm not a masive fan of reality TV but do watch the occaisional Hells Kitchen ( not even sure if that is classified as reality TV) if you take a 30 min time slot were lucky to get 20 mins without the ad's. Then remove all the recaps from last week and the recaps when coming back from an ad break ( are there really so many people with the attention span of a gold fish) and we end up with 13 or 14 mins tops!!!! :???:

My grumpy rant of the week.............done!

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Wed, 10 Jun 2009 8:17 am

Oh and well done Saint for sticking to your guns and getting what you wanted.

Maybe i'm being cynical but this continual re shuffling of their products gives me the impression that SH is suffering in these times when we all start to scrutinise our monthly expenses and cut the fat. They must be overwhelmed with customers reducing their subscriptions.

I think we should start a campaign to get an ERP style subscription going where we only pay for what we watch :lol: